Koalana ukuleles?

Apparently they are a reasonable low-budget ukulele. A pity you don't get the crowned headstock, but the soundhole is cool and teardroppy. edit: you do get the cool headstock. Cool!

Not a direct experience, but I looked at one in a shop here in Japan, and although it looks cool and is quite easy on the wallet, I was amazed with the (lack of) craftmanship. No idea what the circumstances of this particular uke were, but the soundboard and sides were not even flush at the corners. You might want to take extra care to check for construction flaws. Although it may just have been a victim of lack of humidity, bad luck or poor shop management.

Not really helpful perhaps, but an account of my first and only sad encounter with a Koalana in Japan as of yet. Hopefully others have good stories :)

From the Koaloha website:

KoAlana_Soprano_Main.jpg

I had a KoAlana concert once upon a time. I thought it sounded really nice and was nearly as easy to play as my Pineapple Sunday (probably the easiest player I have), but the workmanship on the fretboard left a lot to be desired. Some of the higher frets (I think they were like the 12th-15th) sticked out from the fretboard quite a bit, and one of the frets (I think it was the 13th fret) actually was lifted on the A-string side which cause the A-string to fret at that lifted fret even when I was trying to fret the next fret up. Frankly I was kind of surprised MGM would send something like that to me. Since it was a cheap uke, I just tried to fix the issues myself by trying to pound in and sand down the lifted fret and sand a couple of the frets that sticked out.

As a whole, the KoAlana has a vibe of a KoAloha knockoff (which it essentially is. Some call it an "authorized knockoff"). It has the details of the KoAloha concert, but not as "sharp". For instance, the headstock of KoAloha ukes have sharp definitions in all the edges such as pointy crowns. The KoAlana, on the other hand, have all the edges rounded. It almost feels as if the tooling die wore out so all the sharp edges got rounded. Obviously these aren't made with a tooling die, but that's the impression I get throughout the uke.

But, it is cheap (when it's available), and the sound is very good. If you get one with decent fret work, it's a keeper.

For an MSRP of $145, it looks pretty good judging from the pictures on the KoAloha site. As of this post, only a soprano is available and no other info about the other sizes. Too bad, they don't have sound samples. Maybe one of the members from the 808 can hele on down there, check it out and provide a quickie review. They're located on Kohou St in Kalihi/Palama area adjacent to Kapalama Canal.

KoalohaUkulele.png

Here's a picture of the KoAlana concert with a couple of other concert scale ukes:

280379351.jpg

When I sold my KoAlana, I recorded this sound file as a demo. Hmm...now that I listen to it again, I wonder if my playing in the sound file hurt the sale...:p

When I sold my KoAlana, I recorded this sound file as a demo. Hmm...now that I listen to it again, I wonder if my playing in the sound file hurt the sale...:p

Don't know what you're talking about. It sounded good to me.

From what I understand the Koalana's are China imports. I wanted to get one of the concerts, but they've all sold and I'm not sure that KoAloha's still importing them. Too bad, I love my KoAloha, and just really wanted a KoAlana as a "beach uke"...

If I'm not mistaken, they were solid mahogany too...if you're looking for one I've seen them pop up on Craig's List periodically

Deach,

I have one these! I have really enjoyed playing it, especially at the price point. But being my first ukulele, I'm sorry I really dont have any other soprano to compare it to. I also, picked it up from MGM on ebay.

Here's a quick vid of me playing it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQXlAu6mIy0

If anyone wants one, there is one for sale on FleaMarketMusic I think it's new and going for $120 + shipping

.... For instance, the headstock of KoAloha ukes have sharp definitions in all the edges such as pointy crowns. The KoAlana, on the other hand, have all the edges rounded. ....

I love the headstock. I've always wondered what kind of mark it would make if I took a tenor headstock and smacked someone with it.

If you go to the site they still list them there, but they only make a soprano in that line. I probably would have taken a chance on one if they had a concert or a tenor, but I already have a cheapie soprano and don't need another one. I do, however, love the cool sound hole and headstock.

I love the headstock. I've always wondered what kind of mark it would make if I took a tenor headstock and smacked someone with it.

Then what you really need is a Sceptre! Double ended pointy headstocks!:D

...they only make a soprano in that line. I probably would have taken a chance on one if they had a concert or a tenor, but I already have a cheapie soprano and don't need another one.

The KoAlana is at a nice price point, but it's definitely not a "cheapie."

It's more like the Fender "Squier" guitars. Simply the budget line from a great company. I'm pretty sure KoAloha wouldn't want to be associated with something "cheap."

Koalanas haven't been brought in by Koaloha in almost a year or so. They were happy with the sound and from what I understand the quality of build was not consistant enough to please Koaloha. The few remaining are from way back and it is unsure if they will be revived again. They were great for what you paid if setup right.

Deach guess what just arrived to my work...KOALANA sopranos and Concerts

Last edited:
Top Bottom