Steel string or no steel string, that is the question

michio

Reaction score
So i put new strings on my Kamaka and did not put a steel string on my C string and i did not like it.. ha anyone else had this problem with their ukeS? of course i put a steel string on right after cuz it did not sound the same without it. tell me what ya think.

I hope you mean "wound strings" when you say "steel strings" :)

Wound strings are silk strings that are wrapped in metal. They are not exactly "steel strings" like you see on acoustic and electric guitars :)
The tensions would be different, and on a uke designed for nylon and wound strings, would be disaster.

What kissing said.
I like the sound of wound strings, at least on some of my uke's.
Think it depends on what sound your going for.
Some folks don't like the wound strings because they tend screetch when you slide on them.

I like the noises from fretting a steel string guitar lots. You can work to eliminate them if you want and it's a good idea to be able to play without extraneous noise if you need to be able to do that, but for me finger noise can be a tasty thing in certain bits of playing.

I'd like a low plain G to match my tenor so I'ma saddle up my Lanikai and give it low G duty. The uke sound has a delicacy to it and I think would be better served by a plain low G. The slight extension of the range would be nice.

I like the noises from fretting a steel string guitar lots. You can work to eliminate them if you want and it's a good idea to be able to play without extraneous noise if you need to be able to do that, but for me finger noise can be a tasty thing in certain bits of playing.

I'd like a low plain G to match my tenor so I'ma saddle up my Lanikai and give it low G duty. The uke sound has a delicacy to it and I think would be better served by a plain low G. The slight extension of the range would be nice.

Agree Scottie. That's how you know it's real.

I hope you mean "wound strings" when you say "steel strings" :)

Wound strings are silk strings that are wrapped in metal. They are not exactly "steel strings" like you see on acoustic and electric guitars :)
The tensions would be different, and on a uke designed for nylon and wound strings, would be disaster.

I believe that a wound low G has a metal core. If anything, they have a smaller diamiter than wound Cs, so the metal center would make sense to increase the tension.

Top Bottom