Is Copy/Pasting a tab from another site stealing?

zenhas4strings

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I recently had a run in with this issue, and I wanted to get some opinions.
I used to sign into UU everyday , and check out the tabs.I have never been much of a tabber myself.After years playing guitar, I had never tabbed anything,but i thought the idea of transposing my favorite guitar tunes to uke tabs would be a fun challenge.I have since posted a few DMB tabs here at UU,since they are one of my favorites.
That was a few months ago.Since then I have been playing a lot of piano.(I just got my first one)I live in the Midwest,so it has been cold here,until about 2 weeks ago.I now take my uke with me to work,so I can jam in my car at lunchtime to my IPOD since the weather broke.So I'm hooked again.I can't put my uke down.Now I'm song searching everyday,trying to learn new tunes.Which is where I finally ran into this little situation.
I have never posted a tab anywhere except for UU,but I found one of my tabs(with the name removed of course),on another site.It really isn't the end of the world or anything,but I was kinda pissed that someone else was taking credit for what I spent days on.They deleted my name off it,and added their own.I wrote a complaint to the staff of the site.I noticed this morning that they have removed the tab,and replaced it with a message.
http://www.ukulele-tabs.com/uke-songs/dave-matthews-band/everyday-uke-tab-13196.html
Opinions....?

I've noticed that too on some of the posted songs which I have seen posted elsewhere. I'm quite sure contributors use other sites to get the basics, especially the chord/lyrics sheets. A simple copy, paste, edit and post. I don't know if there's a way to verify authenticity as far as who wrote the tab other than the individual who wrote (as in your case). Ukulele-tabs.com is going through some legal problems at this point, here's the thread.

People take my tabs all the time and post them on other sites. There's no way to really stop it, so I don't worry about it. I made the tabs to help people out, I don't really care if they know who it came from.

I do care if they mess with the actual tabs, though. That's why almost everything I tab is in PDF form. It's much harder to alter tabs in PDF form. I suppose you could sign every tab you make, then only post them in PDF form if you wanted to cut down on people taking the credit for your tabs.

Music Publishers Association Limited took action to remove copyright infringing material on behalf of music publishers based in the UK.

We're trying to clarify what permissions are needed. In time, don't forget to visit our Facebook Group to talk ukulele!

That quote is on every tab on that site, not just yours. They're going through some legal problems right now.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?28309

Top Bottom