6 String Baritone Ukes?

Paul December

Reaction score
Are there any 6 string baritone ukes available ... preferably in the mid-price range.
If there are, can you tune them G C E A ?

Are there any 6 string baritone ukes available ... preferably in the mid-price range.
If there are, can you tune them G C E A ?
Not to be a complete smart@$$, but isn't that called a guitar? A baritone uke is essentially a guitar minus 2 bottom strings...

Not to be a complete smart@$$, but isn't that called a guitar? A baritone uke is essentially a guitar minus 2 bottom strings...

Might be similar, but a 6 string uke has two paired strings you hold down at the same time like a mandolin. Additionally the 2 C strings are an octave apart (High C & Low C) so while there are 6 strings, you play it like a 4 string.

I just shipped a six string tenor archtop body with a baritone scale to fumanshu. It is tuned ADGCEA. So far he has been very pleased with the instrument.

Brad

What is the purpose of only doubling the 1st and 3rd string and not the 2 and 4? I understand doubling all 4 to give a "12 string guitar" sound but if only 1 and 3 are doubled what does a melody sound like with only some of the notes doubled?

What is the purpose of only doubling the 1st and 3rd string and not the 2 and 4? I understand doubling all 4 to give a "12 string guitar" sound but if only 1 and 3 are doubled what does a melody sound like with only some of the notes doubled?

I had an 8 string and exchanged it for a 6 string because I found many chords on 8 unplayable. The amount of pressure it takes to hold down all the strings was even more difficult than on a 12 string guitar.
The most troublesome was the double G's probably due to tension and thickness.
I think both 8 & 6 strings are more for strumming... but that being said, playing individual notes is much easier on the 6, and really doesn't sound much different when you do since you mainly pluck the main string of the pair.
The 8 sting does sound more full... but not that much more, so the easier playability is a good compromise.

SIDE NOTE - Anyone looking to buy a 6 string, be aware that many (most?) are strung with High G and High & Low A's which sounds really weird to my ears. I changed mine to be more like an 8 string, with Low G & two High A's

Last edited:
To clarify Paul, I built the six string super tenor at the request of a customer that wanted that configuration. He wanted six separate strings with a long scale but narrow neck. I was not sure if that would work, so my fall back position was to turn it into a regular six string model with the first and third strings doubled. That was not necessary, as he was quite pleased with how it turned out.

Brad

I've never seen a Lili'u baritone uke. Might have to have one custom made or get an 8 string and leave 2 of the strings off.

I just played a 6 string baritone uke and was reminded of this thread.
It was Mele, koa top,mohag body, with cut away...pretty nice. This one was being sold on consignment at a little shop in Albuquerque. If you're still looking let me know and I'll get the details for you.

Top Bottom