KPK buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pilothawk

Reaction score
I have a new KPK that came with worth strings. I like the soft feel of the worths. My problem is that the C string has a buzz when open or fretted. The buzz seems to come from the bridge area. It happens if fretted on the nut end, but not at higher pitches. This is not an all the time condition. It will do it for a while, and then stop, then start back up again.

The worth's are loose on the C string when in tune compared to the nylguts I have on my tenor.

What would be the first recommendation - new strings, or just take it to the shop to have someone who knows what they are doing to repair it. I am a genuine noob, and there is no way I am taking a file or hammer to this thing.

Sorry for stating the obvious, but is it possible you need to tighten the string to the next higher C?

Also, a buzzz is really difficult to isolate where it really is coming from. Check all the obvious stuff first like if the tuners are screwed in tightly and if the knobs aren't rattling on the ends of them. My KPK had that problem, and the the buzzing sounded like it was coming from the opposite end of the instrument like yours does.

Depending on how the strings were tied, there could be a loose end resting on the soundboard. Also, as stated, you could be on the wrong octave. Don't tune it higher, though, unless you know for sure that it's off; otherwise, you'll tune it way too high and risk breaking the string or ripping the bridge off.

It is not tied per se. The string at the end is like it has been meleted with a kind of small "blob" of material. The string then fits in slots.

I have nothing lose that I can find. The string still buzzes open, and even more so on the first, second and third fret. Second, for reasons I do not understand appears to be the worst..

This same string sometimes sounds dead. Pick it up and play for a while and it is fine. Another time it is much quieter than the other three. At first I thought I was muffling the sound by the way I was holding the uke, but it happens even when I hold it out away from my body.

Sounds as if your 4th fret may be a little too high, or you saddle could just be a tad too low.

To check the fret, get a short rule and using its edge lay it against the frets around the 4th, see if it rocks, if it does you have an uneven fret. You could also try putting a thin piece of credit card under neath the saddle to raise it up a little and see if that resolves the buzz.

I have a new KPK that came with worth strings.

Since when did KPK come with Worths. I seen that it comes with black strings which are Hilo's if I am not mistaken. The Worths are purplish in color.

What would be the first recommendation - new strings, or just take it to the shop to have someone who knows what they are doing to repair it. I am a genuine noob, and there is no way I am taking a file or hammer to this thing.

I wouldn't recommend a hammer as you don't want to make a problem worser than it is. If you do just don't rush, take time and do it slowly.

My son has one of the ukes as well but it came with the black strings and when I switched his to aquila's I had to make a new nut as the Aquila had a smaller width than the Hilo and it would move side to side too much. Try checking that out.

I am happy to report that new strings solved the issue. The KPK comes with GHS strings. All the local music store had for ukes were Martin flurocarbons. No buzz...no rattle, and the uke is louder and a bunch brighter. Almost too bright, but that is a topic for another day. Mahalo nui loa to all.

Top Bottom