New to wound strings, with a question

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
I considered using the title "My G string is stained", but decided against it.

I've just gotten my first low G tuned uke. It has a wound G, and Aquila Nylgut C, E and A. I presume the G string is part of the Aquila set, but don't know for sure.

My concern is the pattern of discoloration on the wound G. There is a brownish mark, or band, around the string, corresponding to each fret. Is this common? Does it indicate a need to change the string(s)?

I don't want to be accused of ignoring a dirty G string.... :confused:

You should have used your title! That would have put many eyes on your question. Sorry, I don't have an answer for you as I use non-wound strings.

Have noticed this on my Anuenue. It has Aquila's a wound low G.
Have also seen it on my classical guitar so suspect it's normal where the fret rubs against the string.
Funny; have two wound strings on my Pono (Hilo strings) and have not seen the bands or markings.
Might be something Aquila uses for their wound strings. Aluminum? Which would explain it.
Think it's only a problem if the stain doesn't wash out.

it's rust, the contact between the string and the fret causes the anti oxidising covering used on would strings to be ground away, as you tune the string rotates which is why it is all the way around.

does it affect sound, well over time strings get dull but the difference depends how bright or dull you like strings to be. personally i like a bit of wear and don't worry about it i change about every 6 months , but years ago i would change my classical strings every 8 weeks because i was performing and needed bright sound.

it's rust, the contact between the string and the fret causes the anti oxidising covering used on would strings to be ground away, as you tune the string rotates which is why it is all the way around.

does it affect sound, well over time strings get dull but the difference depends how bright or dull you like strings to be. personally i like a bit of wear and don't worry about it i change about every 6 months , but years ago i would change my classical strings every 8 weeks because i was performing and needed bright sound.

Sounds right to me. Sorta looks like rust, now that you mention it. Rust on my G string....will Clorox II get that out? ;) Sorry, couldn't help myself....

Top Bottom