PDA

View Full Version : In the mood for some fruit....Pineapple anyone?

xoukulele
03-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Okay, so once I sell my Ohana ck35gs (played it once thinking I would like a concert size but I don't, small is beautiful) I thought I would now try a pineapple. Can someone help me pickout a nice piece of fruit? One that is ripe but not too ripe, sweet, not tangy like some, a good smell.

Here what I was initially considering until I discovered the letter K.

Ohana Pineapple
Mainland Mahogany or Mainland Mango when they become available again.
Mele Pineapple (they have a 'deal' on a koa),
Kiwaya KS-4P.
Tangi Pineapple if I can squeeze one out of him

Since I cannot go and play any of these I will rely on you, my trusted online 'family' for some guidance. I have no idea what any of these sound like. I do not need loud which is why I avoided the mango cedar. Any thoughts?

Paul December
03-20-2010, 02:18 PM
These pineapples have caught my eye :drool:
Here's the thread on them. (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?26637-Tamaine-Ukulele)

http://www.globalcreationscart.com/resources/image.php?location=../images&name=ukeMangoPineappleConcert.jpg&width=1024&height=1024&scalemode=fit&donotresample=true

Raygf
03-20-2010, 03:30 PM
I played an Ohana Pineapple last year at the New York Ukulele Festival and was stunned. Amazing little instrument. (currently $189.95, w/case and free shipping from MGM). I own a Mainland Mahogany Pineapple (Friction Tuners) and love it ($189.50/no case). Either one is a good buy.

Regards,
Ray

the52blues
03-20-2010, 03:40 PM
For under $100 you can get a nice Kala pineapple that even looks like a pineapple. Sounds good too.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae232/the52blues/Pineapple3.jpg

Paul December
03-20-2010, 04:04 PM
For under $100 you can get a nice Kala pineapple that even looks like a pineapple. Sounds good too.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae232/the52blues/Pineapple3.jpg

I've got that one and it sounds surprisingly good.

kenikas
03-20-2010, 06:18 PM
I've got that one and it sounds surprisingly good.
+1 on this, great uke for the price. But I'd really like to try the two Raygf suggested too!

Ahnko Honu
03-20-2010, 08:08 PM
I believe Tangi has been out of his Mango pineapples for several months (or I'd already own one). I think MGM sold the last of Tangi's pineapples. The only Mainland I own is a Red Cedar/Rosewood pineapple which I LOVE. Also own a Koa MELE pineapple which I also love, great 'ukuleles the both of them.

Raygf
03-21-2010, 03:18 AM
I believe Tangi has been out of his Mango pineapples for several months (or I'd already own one). I think MGM sold the last of Tangi's pineapples. The only Mainland I own is a Red Cedar/Rosewood pineapple which I LOVE. Also own a Koa MELE pineapple which I also love, great 'ukuleles the both of them.

:iwant:
A Mainland Red Cedar/Rosewood Pineapple. Been to the site several times a day in the past few days. This post is not helping me resist. The Mele is tempting too.

Regards,
Ray

iDavid
03-21-2010, 03:24 AM
how about this one ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/KoAloha-LONGNECK-SOPRANO-PINEAPPLE-KOA-UKULELE-KSM-03_W0QQitemZ370351405273QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item563aa9f8d9

P-co
03-21-2010, 04:28 AM
I love the look of the Kala pineapple, Kiwi fruit and watermelon, real quirky. Little bit expensive this side of the planet and I am not sure if you are paying an extra premium for the looks?

kenikas
03-21-2010, 09:22 AM
I love the look of the Kala pineapple, Kiwi fruit and watermelon, real quirky. Little bit expensive this side of the planet and I am not sure if you are paying an extra premium for the looks?
I think so, I'm pretty sure the KA-PSS is the same uke as the KA-P except for the silkscreening and the headstock, but IMO it was worth the extra $. It's just so darn cute!

the52blues
03-21-2010, 11:11 AM

Expensive? I paid $95 Canadian for mine. I paid $299 for my Kala archtop. Neither of these would I consider expensive ukes....maybe some day....How much do they sell for down under?

xoukulele
03-21-2010, 02:18 PM
That Tamarind is cool. I will check it out.

Here is what I was considering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370351782116&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://meleukulele.com/shopexd.asp?id=354

http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=38&categoryId=3

Already I am pushing my budget with the Kiwaya and was also considering a flea but a blinged out flea with Pegheds starts to get up there and do not think the sound would be nearly as good and if I wanted a beater I would or will get a Dolphin. I wish I had tons of stores that carried tons of ukuleles but shopping this way is kind of fun. Its like shoppig by committee. Do I need another uke? Always. Really wished I liked the concert size or I would keep my Ohana.

P-co
03-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Expensive? I paid $95 Canadian for mine. I paid $299 for my Kala archtop. Neither of these would I consider expensive ukes....maybe some day....How much do they sell for down under?

I agree that they are not expensive as such but let's say over priced relative to their undecorated kin, or just a cheap uke with a nice paint job? I am not saying they are and I hope they aren't because I love them but just asking the question. As for the price here I will need to ckeck again and will get back with a posting.

xoukulele
03-22-2010, 11:02 AM
So in post #13 above I have links to three Pineapples I am considering but wanted to know something. In your opinion is there a huge musicality difference between the mainland, the mele and the Kiwaya. There is a huge difference in price. I know some of this is objective as in woods, tuners, etc, but what about the subjective items such as pure sound or playability?

xoukulele
03-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Basically, what I want to know is if the sound of a koaloha pineapple will be that much better than the kiwaya and worth the extra cash?

Paul December
03-23-2010, 01:28 PM
I ordered a Mele soprano (not pineapple) and it was just terrible. Very poor finish, but worse of all sounded like a block-o-wood.
Also, the fretboard was wider than I'm used to with the G string too close to the edge so when I played it, the string would roll-over the side.
OTOH my Kala nivelty pineapple sounded great compare to it for less than half the $.

xoukulele
03-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Okay, so the mele sounds like the right price but bad execution. The kiwaya for a bit more has good execution from what I have read. I am sure there are other pineapples to consider in this range but just don't know. Still verrrry new to this but feeling sort of addicted.

peterp
03-23-2010, 03:06 PM
i've had my eye on the pono mango pineapple at the music emporium. please buy it before i do.

http://www.themusicemporium.com/product-detail/product/koolau-pono-soprano-mango-pineapple.html

pdxuke
03-23-2010, 08:49 PM
So in post #13 above I have links to three Pineapples I am considering but wanted to know something. In your opinion is there a huge musicality difference between the mainland, the mele and the Kiwaya. There is a huge difference in price. I know some of this is objective as in woods, tuners, etc, but what about the subjective items such as pure sound or playability?

IMHO you will be happy with that Kiwaya, if it's anything close to the KS1, which is just awesome. It is spendy, but MGM raves about the tone, and the laminate KS1 standard I have knocks the socks off of many all wood instruments I've played in shops, and outpaces every laminate I have ever played (also in the shops.) If I were to by a pineapple, it would be the Kamaka at $600+ or the Kiwaya! Just my uninformed opinion...

Why not call MGM? He'll play the Koaloha and Kiwaya over the phone, and discuss pros and cons. You might get a better deal on the Kiwaya if you call him direct and don't go through Ebay.

xoukulele
03-24-2010, 04:30 AM
Thanks PDX. Since you inspired me to get the sprucehouse (thanks though I did have to clean off some glue on the fretboard and I am replacing the tuners with mainland tuners and adding fret markers on the side) I was wondering what the sound difference/quality between the sprucehouse and the kiwaya is like? I do not know how my budget got away from me. First it was a mainland and then it just started going north as I learned the letter "K".

gnordenstam
03-24-2010, 07:45 AM
A new mango pineapple is waiting for me at home - I know, no pictures, it didn't happen. Pictures this evening.

P-co
03-25-2010, 05:43 AM
I agree that they are not expensive as such but let's say over priced relative to their undecorated kin, or just a cheap uke with a nice paint job? I am not saying they are and I hope they aren't because I love them but just asking the question. As for the price here I will need to ckeck again and will get back with a posting.

Was pleasantly surprised at the local music shop with the fruity Kala ukes retailing at $125 Australian dollars. I thought they were more than this so they seem a fair deal. Didn't really play them so can't comment on their sound.

haolejohn
03-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Basically, what I want to know is if the sound of a koaloha pineapple will be that much better than the kiwaya and worth the extra cash?

Yes. I would recommend the koaloha, then the Mele, then mainland, then kiwaya. I'm not completely sold on the kiwayas yet. I have played 2 so far and they did sound good but not price justifiable good. Before I owned my first koaloha it was Mele only for me (even though I owned some other ukes they didn't stack up imo). I have just gotten my first two mainlands (1 is factory second) and I like them a lot. I think the red cedar mainlands are the best mainland. I do have a solid mahogany vineyard pineapple I'd let go for a pretty good price. I have had it for a month but never play it and truthfully I need to let it go since I got these two mainlands.

xoukulele
03-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks for that Haolejohn and the offer. I just bought a used flea from the flea marketplace to replace the kala I am selling this weekend. I think I am going to start selling stuff on ebay and see what I can raise. When my Ohana sells that will go towards it and the same with my Seagull guitar which hopefully will bring me up to Koaloha Pineapple possible with concert neck. May have to ask musicguymic to bring one with him for ukefest. I do like the idea though of the laminate kiwaya. NY weather is all over the place.

PorkLover
03-25-2010, 12:14 PM

I have a Mainland Mahogany Pineapple that I enjoy very much. Its tone is clean but booms when you need it to. The action is low and its very playable tuned to standard low G. I like it tuned 1/2 step sharp too. Everytime I play it, I'm very pleased.

That said, I am considering selling to help fund a Koaloha Long Neck Pineapple Soprano or Kanilea Super Soprano. The koa tone is so addicting and the Koalohas and Kanileas I've played have made me question why I own anything else. If you're still considering a "K" uke, you'll want to scratch that UAS itch until you get one in your hands. IMO, its well worth the extra cash.

xoukulele
03-25-2010, 03:56 PM
This afternoon I bought a used 'uke can change the world' flea from a guy in florida who needed that cash. We had a short conversation and I asked why he was selling this and he told me he has been out of work for over a year and was selling many in his collection to pay his bills. I did not haggle. I was happy to help but sad at the same time. It was more than a reasonable price.

One of my ukes will go this weekend and the Ohana hopefully soon and the guitar will be posted on ebay. I wont buy until I have all the money raised. I wish I could hear these but the sprucehouse I bought sounded great. I think it will be the koaloha soprano with the concert neck but give me a minute and my mind will change.