In the mood for some fruit....Pineapple anyone?

xoukulele

Reaction score
Okay, so once I sell my Ohana ck35gs (played it once thinking I would like a concert size but I don't, small is beautiful) I thought I would now try a pineapple. Can someone help me pickout a nice piece of fruit? One that is ripe but not too ripe, sweet, not tangy like some, a good smell.

Here what I was initially considering until I discovered the letter K.

Ohana Pineapple
Mainland Mahogany or Mainland Mango when they become available again.
Mele Pineapple (they have a 'deal' on a koa),
Kiwaya KS-4P.
Tangi Pineapple if I can squeeze one out of him

Since I cannot go and play any of these I will rely on you, my trusted online 'family' for some guidance. I have no idea what any of these sound like. I do not need loud which is why I avoided the mango cedar. Any thoughts?

These pineapples have caught my eye :drool:
Here's the thread on them.

image.php

I played an Ohana Pineapple last year at the New York Ukulele Festival and was stunned. Amazing little instrument. (currently $189.95, w/case and free shipping from MGM). I own a Mainland Mahogany Pineapple (Friction Tuners) and love it ($189.50/no case). Either one is a good buy.

Regards,
Ray

I believe Tangi has been out of his Mango pineapples for several months (or I'd already own one). I think MGM sold the last of Tangi's pineapples. The only Mainland I own is a Red Cedar/Rosewood pineapple which I LOVE. Also own a Koa MELE pineapple which I also love, great 'ukuleles the both of them.

I believe Tangi has been out of his Mango pineapples for several months (or I'd already own one). I think MGM sold the last of Tangi's pineapples. The only Mainland I own is a Red Cedar/Rosewood pineapple which I LOVE. Also own a Koa MELE pineapple which I also love, great 'ukuleles the both of them.

:iwant:
A Mainland Red Cedar/Rosewood Pineapple. Been to the site several times a day in the past few days. This post is not helping me resist. The Mele is tempting too.

Regards,
Ray

I love the look of the Kala pineapple, Kiwi fruit and watermelon, real quirky. Little bit expensive this side of the planet and I am not sure if you are paying an extra premium for the looks?

I love the look of the Kala pineapple, Kiwi fruit and watermelon, real quirky. Little bit expensive this side of the planet and I am not sure if you are paying an extra premium for the looks?
I think so, I'm pretty sure the KA-PSS is the same uke as the KA-P except for the silkscreening and the headstock, but IMO it was worth the extra $. It's just so darn cute!

Expensive? I paid $95 Canadian for mine. I paid $299 for my Kala archtop. Neither of these would I consider expensive ukes....maybe some day....How much do they sell for down under?

That Tamarind is cool. I will check it out.

Here is what I was considering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370351782116&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://meleukulele.com/shopexd.asp?id=354

http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=38&categoryId=3

Already I am pushing my budget with the Kiwaya and was also considering a flea but a blinged out flea with Pegheds starts to get up there and do not think the sound would be nearly as good and if I wanted a beater I would or will get a Dolphin. I wish I had tons of stores that carried tons of ukuleles but shopping this way is kind of fun. Its like shoppig by committee. Do I need another uke? Always. Really wished I liked the concert size or I would keep my Ohana.

Expensive? I paid $95 Canadian for mine. I paid $299 for my Kala archtop. Neither of these would I consider expensive ukes....maybe some day....How much do they sell for down under?

I agree that they are not expensive as such but let's say over priced relative to their undecorated kin, or just a cheap uke with a nice paint job? I am not saying they are and I hope they aren't because I love them but just asking the question. As for the price here I will need to ckeck again and will get back with a posting.

So in post #13 above I have links to three Pineapples I am considering but wanted to know something. In your opinion is there a huge musicality difference between the mainland, the mele and the Kiwaya. There is a huge difference in price. I know some of this is objective as in woods, tuners, etc, but what about the subjective items such as pure sound or playability?

Last edited:
Basically, what I want to know is if the sound of a koaloha pineapple will be that much better than the kiwaya and worth the extra cash?

I ordered a Mele soprano (not pineapple) and it was just terrible. Very poor finish, but worse of all sounded like a block-o-wood.
Also, the fretboard was wider than I'm used to with the G string too close to the edge so when I played it, the string would roll-over the side.
OTOH my Kala nivelty pineapple sounded great compare to it for less than half the $.

Okay, so the mele sounds like the right price but bad execution. The kiwaya for a bit more has good execution from what I have read. I am sure there are other pineapples to consider in this range but just don't know. Still verrrry new to this but feeling sort of addicted.

So in post #13 above I have links to three Pineapples I am considering but wanted to know something. In your opinion is there a huge musicality difference between the mainland, the mele and the Kiwaya. There is a huge difference in price. I know some of this is objective as in woods, tuners, etc, but what about the subjective items such as pure sound or playability?

IMHO you will be happy with that Kiwaya, if it's anything close to the KS1, which is just awesome. It is spendy, but MGM raves about the tone, and the laminate KS1 standard I have knocks the socks off of many all wood instruments I've played in shops, and outpaces every laminate I have ever played (also in the shops.) If I were to by a pineapple, it would be the Kamaka at $600+ or the Kiwaya! Just my uninformed opinion...

Why not call MGM? He'll play the Koaloha and Kiwaya over the phone, and discuss pros and cons. You might get a better deal on the Kiwaya if you call him direct and don't go through Ebay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom