Osage Orange

Steiner

Reaction score
Anyone ever use this wood for fretboards, bridges, nuts, or saddles? It's supposed to be as hard as Ebony.

Anyone ever use this wood for fretboards, bridges, nuts, or saddles? It's supposed to be as hard as Ebony.

I've heard of it used as a tone wood--another one of those "drop in" replacements for Brazilian Rosewood--but not for those things you mention. I do see it referred to as the exotic of north america, and like that. I'll try it! First I've got black walnut, ribbon mahogany, padauk, cherry and yew to get to. And the wood store I go to has some really lovely genuine mahogany to try for $30, too...there are too many woods to try! I say, go for it, and let us know how it comes out. Another thing I see about it that bears mentioning: like many of the other orange/red wood exotics, it's color shifts to brown over time.

As Matt says, it's often mentioned on luthery forums as being the next best thing to Brazilian Rosewood. So it should be great for fretboards, bridges and, perhaps even nuts and saddles. But it doesn't look much like BR. So it's just a question of whether or not you like the colour.

I've got a large board. I could see using it for fretboards, nuts and saddles but not as backs and sides. It's color will change as you will it and it ages. I think it would be too heavy and stiff. It was horrible to mill. I think my board is about 10' long 2" thick and 12" wide. Anyone interested in it?

Andrew

It was the wood of choice of the Comanche for bow making. I've turned few bowls with it and like working with the stuff. (I know irrelevant) If you don't mind a lighter colored fretboard it should hold up very well.

It definitely won't stay the lighter color. I made a primitive longbow way back in college out of a stave of osage, must have been around '98. Quite an experience, no power tools whatsoever, just a drawknife, a hatchet and a khukuri. It is now a deep reddish orange.

How much for that board?

I don't know. I will pull it out and take a photo of it in the next couple days. I can send you the photo if you PM me or I can post it on my website. If you're not in a hurry and need an excuse to come to the Uke festival in Nashville sponsored by Mainland then you can pick it up. If I recall, its too large and heavy to ship. At least in my opinion.

andrew

I finally got around to starting the uke with the osage fretboard and bridge. It's going to have Oregon Myrtle back and sides, Port Orford Cedar top, Spanish Cedar Neck, Osage fretboard and bridge. It'll look unique, that's for sure. I'll post pics when I get back home. I milled and cut the slots in the fretboard and it looks like it'll be super smooth.

Top Bottom