She's on her way back from Hawaii, but her new friend arrived yesterday

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
My Pineapple Sunday is on the way back from KoAloha after they took care of a buzzing string issue that she had. Even though I purchased it second hand, they extended the "better than the weather" warranty to me. What a fantastic company.

In the meantime, my new crowned bridge tenor arrived yesterday. I won it at auction on ebay last weekend, and have been waiting patiently for it to get here.

Her birthday is July 2007 and it appears that she has hardly been played at all. She looks brand new. I am not sure what kind of strings she has on her.The seller didn't know either. She is strung with a wound low G and what appear to be black flourocarbons on the C,E, and A. What a fantastic sound. Deep, rich, loud and resonant. This is my first uke with low G strings and I spent last night seeing which songs that I play are suited for low G. Finger picking is great.

Unlike my other three KoAlohas, this one has a one piece top and back. The grain is subtle but stunning. Beautiful koa with both chocolate and blond streaks. It has what I think is a rosewood fretboard and bridge, but it is very dark and rich. It could pass for ebony. If koalohapaul reads this thread, maybe he could confirm that. Not sure what they were using for fretboards on the tenor back in 2007. It has black grover sealed tuners.

I have named her Aphrodite after the Greek goddess of Love and Beauty, simply because she is so stunningly beautiful to look at. I am very fortunate to have a number of fantastic looking and sounding ukes, but this one is right at the top of the list. I prefer the simple beauty of interesting wood grain over fancy inlays, rosettes and purflings. This tenor definately falls into that category. And the sound is pure KoAloha.

As far as UAS goes, I don't have it. I am just a,...er... collector. Yeah, thats it, a collector. No UAS here. Have to go make some more stands now.

Now I just wait for my Sweet Pea to arrive back home from KoAloha. I do miss her so. Then my KoAloha collection will be complete. I think....

Attachments

• KoAloha tenor 011.jpg
    KoAloha tenor 011.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 36
  • KoAloha tenor 014.jpg
    KoAloha tenor 014.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 32
  • KoAloha tenor 015.jpg
    KoAloha tenor 015.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 31
  • KoAloha tenor 002.jpg
    KoAloha tenor 002.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 34
  • KoAloha tenor 008.jpg
    KoAloha tenor 008.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 28
Congratulations. She is a beauty.
Also glad to hear you don't have that UAS thing that's going around.

Ooh, it looks beautiful. I'm so glad you got a crown bridge tenor. I love those. I'm sort of sorry they stopped making them. I guess that means I'll never get a KoAloha tenor since I really like the old crown bridge better (unless I'm lucky enough to find one on eBay like you did).

And I'm so glad to hear that Sweet Pea is on her way back home where she belongs. :)

I completed my KoAloha acquistion craving yesterday with this one from MGM, but I remember bidding on yours. It's a beauty.

154azb7.jpg

Jude

Mine was from the same period with one piece top and back. The strings are the stock Koaloha low-G set from that time period. They switched to clears after that.

Ooh, it looks beautiful. I'm so glad you got a crown bridge tenor. I love those. I'm sort of sorry they stopped making them. I guess that means I'll never get a KoAloha tenor since I really like the old crown bridge better (unless I'm lucky enough to find one on eBay like you did).

And I'm so glad to hear that Sweet Pea is on her way back home where she belongs. :)

Thanks Staci,

I have a funny feeling that there will be one in your stable sometime in the future.

I completed my KoAloha acquistion craving yesterday with this one from MGM, but I remember bidding on yours. It's a beauty.

154azb7.jpg

Jude

Saw that MGM hand picked one with the sap wood for you Jude. Now you have your bookends. Congrats. And to you too fahrner.

Mine was from the same period with one piece top and back. The strings are the stock Koaloha low-G set from that time period. They switched to clears after that.

I thought that they might be the original strings, Ronnie. Could tell by the tie job. Amazing that they still sound great after all this time, no buzzing at all. Reinforces my theory that this uke has hardly been played. That is about to change. What strings do you have on yours now?

Top Bottom