Best ukulele names

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
I know that there have been other threads about this, but I have decided to start a new one.

I always name my ukuleles. When I get a new one, it becomes part of my family. Sometimes their names are obvious and come to me right away. Others take time and alot of playing before I decide on a fitting name. Sometimes it's a physical trait that inspires their name, sometimes it's their sound.

So I introduce all of you to my family. I am looking forward to being introduced to yours!

Kanilea K1 Superconcert. Her name is Genesis. I call her Genny for short. Because she is the one that started all of this.
Pono Mango Concet pineapple w/ MiSi. Her name is Penelope. Named after the wife of Odysseus. He of the Oddessy. What a long strange trip it has been.
Surf concert Flea w/ rosewood. Her name is Samantha Brown, after the personality on the travel channel. Because she will travel any where with me.:)
Custom painted Ukelyptus concert Fluke with rosewood and pegheads. Kermit. Because it isn't easy being green
KoAloha Pikake Concert. Kevin Ukulele. I am a Red Sox fan. Looking at the back bout reminds me of his bald head.
KoAloha Pineapple Sunday. Sweet Pea. Because of her sweet crystaline voice
KoAloha Sceptre Concert. D'Artangnon. Because he is young, brash, loud and swashbuckling
KoAloha Tenor. This was a toss up. It was almost Pavarotti. But it had to be Aphrodite, after the Greek goddess of love and beauty. She is stunning to look at.

And lastly, I have to go back to my first uke that I started playing with. An Applause UA-10 that is completely unplayable to me now that I have all of these magnificent sounding ukuleles. IT'S name is dogshit. Self explanatory.

OK. Who's next?

I love the names you've chosen, I like the thought and creativity people put into their instruments' names :)

As for me, I haven't decided exactly on a name for my Makala yet... but it's blue, so I was thinking maybe "Sora" (sky) or "Aozora" (blue sky). I've always thought the clear sky was a really cheerful sort of thing. I guess it's not really that original, but I like it, haha!

I love the names you've chosen, I like the thought and creativity people put into their instruments' names :)

As for me, I haven't decided exactly on a name for my Makala yet... but it's blue, so I was thinking maybe "Sora" (sky) or "Aozora" (blue sky). I've always thought the clear sky was a really cheerful sort of thing. I guess it's not really that original, but I like it, haha!

Ooh. Two good choices. But only you will know for sure

My Kala Jazz archtop is "Ella" (after Ella Fitzgerald - if you don't know who she is you don't know Jazz). My Kala pineapple is "Pineapple Pete" and my Kala U-Bass (when I get it LOL) will be "Bubba"

Okey dokey, here goes...

My first ukulele, a Hawaiian Ukulele Company soprano, is Leilani (which means heavenly blossoms). It currently lives in my closet until I give lessons to my niece, then it will be hers.
My Kamaka HF-3 tenor, is named Pele after the Hawaiian fire goddess. I thought that the curls in the koa reminded me of lava flows.
My KoAloha tenor is "Lono," the Hawaiian god of music.
My Kanilea Island Inlay Premium tenor is "Ailana," or island, in Hawaiian - for the island chain inlay on it.
Finally, there is my Moore Bettah, "Hui Nani," which means beautiful union - as it is a union of both sound and aesthetics beauty.

Last edited:
I do not typically name my ukuleles, but my Mainland mahogany pineapple is named "Red" (self explanatory). Last week, two of my 5th grade girls named the yellow Mahalo they were playing "Mustard".

Regards,
Ray

I just got my Ohana SK-35 yesterday, and name it' "IZ". After the late great. He was the one that inspired me to the Uke years ago.

My Kala Spalted Maple Concert is York. I like the name and it fits him. He is a loud, but very serious sort of fellow... he has very serious eyes and no smile. I should take a picture. A serious somber fellow all the time. I am not very serious. I am a goofball. We are good for each other.

My Eleuke Mahogany Soprano is Domo. A Mr. Roboto reference since he is a "robot uke"!

My Kala Jazz archtop is "Ella" (after Ella Fitzgerald - if you don't know who she is you don't know Jazz). My Kala pineapple is "Pineapple Pete" and my Kala U-Bass (when I get it LOL) will be "Bubba"

I don't know Jazz:)

pretty neat reading all these names and I wonder how many people spend more time naming their uke than their child or pet? but i just don't name anything that doesn't live:) nothing against all ya'll it is just me and maybe I'm missing out on something but maybe i'm not.

I know that there have been other threads about this, but I have decided to start a new one.

I always name my ukuleles. When I get a new one, it becomes part of my family. Sometimes their names are obvious and come to me right away. Others take time and alot of playing before I decide on a fitting name. Sometimes it's a physical trait that inspires their name, sometimes it's their sound.

So I introduce all of you to my family. I am looking forward to being introduced to yours!

Kanilea K1 Superconcert. Her name is Genesis. I call her Genny for short. Because she is the one that started all of this.
Pono Mango Concet pineapple w/ MiSi. Her name is Penelope. Named after the wife of Odysseus. He of the Oddessy. What a long strange trip it has been.
Surf concert Flea w/ rosewood. Her name is Samantha Brown, after the personality on the travel channel. Because she will travel any where with me.:)
Custom painted Ukelyptus concert Fluke with rosewood and pegheads. Kermit. Because it isn't easy being green
KoAloha Pikake Concert. Kevin Ukulele. I am a Red Sox fan. Looking at the back bout reminds me of his bald head.
KoAloha Pineapple Sunday. Sweet Pea. Because of her sweet crystaline voice
KoAloha Sceptre Concert. D'Artangnon. Because he is young, brash, loud and swashbuckling
KoAloha Tenor. This was a toss up. It was almost Pavarotti. But it had to be Aphrodite, after the Greek goddess of love and beauty. She is stunning to look at.

And lastly, I have to go back to my first uke that I started playing with. An Applause UA-10 that is completely unplayable to me now that I have all of these magnificent sounding ukuleles. IT'S name is dogshit. Self explanatory.

OK. Who's next?
DK-you owe me a new computer:)

But they do live, when you play em.. But Im the flip side. I name my cars too. I am an avid classic car guy, that always names my cars. My 48 Plymouth 2 door sedan is "Eleanor", my 1930 Model A Tudor Sedan is "Bonnie", and the wife's 31 Model A Coupe is "Clyde".. And the Uke as mentioned above is "IZ"...

Oh, and my daughter's name is.. just a second, let me ask the wife.. Ok.. her name is Casey.. lol

Of all the instruments I have owned, I think two of my ukuleles are the only ones I've named. Being a fan of word associations, I was thinking-Kamaka-kamikaze-Kamaka "Ozzie". That stuck for the soprano, and my forum name. When I got the tenor, I figured she had to be "Harriet" in reference to the 50's-60's TV show Ozzie & Harriet. I know, the tenor should be Ozzie and the soprano Harriet, but he got here first.

For whatever reason, the first name that popped in to my head when I was bringing home my new Oscar Schmidt Tenor OU4 was "Sashimi". I think it might fit a little better if the instrument was a soprano and made a little closer to Japan (i.e. Hawaii), but I still like to think of my uke as a delicious piece of sushi!
-Olly

I've not named my ukes yet but then I've got two cats that I've had for three years and haven't named them yet either.

lol, my black Risa les paul is called "Marisa", after my favourite Touhou (a kind of anime-themed game) character, who dresses up like a witch in black n white.

I'm also a Red Sox fan (by birth, I'm proud to say) and to my non-ukulele player Boston friends, Kevin is the real "Youk."

I'm also a Red Sox fan (by birth, I'm proud to say) and to my non-ukulele player Boston friends, Kevin is the real "Youk."

Hey, I'm not the only UU member who is both a Red Sox fan and California resident! Sorry to hijack the thread, but are you going to any of the Sox games in SF this June?

But they do live, when you play em.. But Im the flip side. I name my cars too. I am an avid classic car guy, that always names my cars. My 48 Plymouth 2 door sedan is "Eleanor", my 1930 Model A Tudor Sedan is "Bonnie", and the wife's 31 Model A Coupe is "Clyde".. And the Uke as mentioned above is "IZ"...

Oh, and my daughter's name is.. just a second, let me ask the wife.. Ok.. her name is Casey.. lol

My 01 porsche Boxster S is Helga, and she has an attitude:)

Top Bottom