Kelii Ukuleles?

TheVandal

Reaction score
Can anyone give me any info on these? I was planning on getting one, but someone got it from MGM. >.<
Thanks!

Was looking at these for awhile.
Could not find their website but uncovered this info;
Established in 1996
Located in Pearl City, Oahu
makes abotu 300 ukuleles a month
Koa body
hardwood fretboard and bridge
$350 to $625
If your interested would simply ask Mike at MGM. He can tell you if he has more coming in. They do look pretty nice.

Keli'i ukes are underrated and a great value. They sacrifice a little on cosmetics (no fancy inlays, decal logo on headstock, etc) but the sound is up to par with the other Hawaiian K-brands. Not a whole lot of information is available about the company, but if MGM deals with them, they're legit.

I was interested in them and then heard the necks were on the thick side, which is a no go for me

I do believe you may have been misinformed. The neck on our soprano is kind of average if not on the slenderer side of average.

You may be confusing Kelii with Kanile'a. Kanile'a necks are thicker than most, but it really doesn't seem to effect anything. It's a personal preference thing, I suppose, but they're still lovely sounding and easy playing instruments.

Can anyone give me any info on these? I was planning on getting one, but someone got it from MGM. >.<
Thanks!
Contact Sean Yacavone at Ukulele Friend. I think he has a couple of em. Keli'i Ukuleles are made by KC Moore on the island of Oahu (Pearl City, HI 96782, (808) 487-8420).

The Kelii tenor has a relatively thicker neck than my other tenors, but that doesn't bother me at all (I actually like it for this uke). It feels more sturdy, and easy to hold. Also, the nut is bigger, approximately 1.5" (1 and 31/64 inches, to be more precise), so the string spacing is slightly bigger. The nut and saddle are made of rosewood, and IMHO gives it a warmer sound. I replaced both with bone and the sound was a lot brighter, but I eventually switched them back to the rosewood... I just liked the sound better. I have Worth CT strings on them, which to my ears I preferred for this uke (I tried the Worth Browns, D'Addario Pro Arte, and Aquillas).

Last edited:
This is Dogfence Des I have bought a Keli'i Tenor Ukulele it hasn't arrived as yet but I bought from ukerepublic.com. Mike has been very helpful. I can not crow loud enough for him, he is great. I believe the Keli'i Ukulele is very much underestimated and should be much more recognised around the world particulary in Australia. No one knows it out here. When mine arives I will write more. But for now sus out ukerepublic.com

Last edited:
For what it's worth I have my eye on one but I don't yet have the cash. It will probably be gone by the time I have the cash saved. I've looked around and around and it easily made my short list. If I had an instant injection of funds I'd buy it today, but most likely I'll settle on something more relevant to my abilities. Not telling which one, you'll go buy it :)

Mike at Uke Republic has some. one of the best deals, all Koa tenor for like $500 or so, just not fancy.

I just got my Kelii koa tenor a few weeks ago. It is simple but beautiful and I can't put it down.

Top Bottom