Ovation guitars?

JackT

Reaction score
Anyone had any experiance with their laminate models? Just wondering what they sound like because the local shop doesn't stock them. I hear good things about the non-laminate guitars they do, problem is they are around £500 ($1k +) so slightly out of my range. The laminate I was looking at was this one, http://www.thomann.de/gb/ovation_cc244_celebrity_cc.htm

I have owned many Ovations over the years, from lower priced models to the "Adamas", the flagship of the Ovation line, and like most guitars, you get what you pay for. The lower end models that had a laminate top were a bit thin sounding, and their overall craftsmanship while OK was nothing special, in essence, a guitar that was built to meet a price-point, not an instrument built to fill a need to perform the best music it's player could muster.
In short, a low end Ovation, like any guitar, will hold it's player back...the limitations of the instrument should never exceed the limitations of the player. (Which is why I sold my "Adamas"....it deserved somebody better than me!)
If you are a beginner, a Celebrity line import Ovation will serve you well, but you WILL out-grow it.
I recommend a solid top USA built Ovation, (any of them!), for a guitar that will allow YOU to grow into IT!
Musician's Friend is having a great sale right now....Ovations that listed for almost $1500 selling for $600 (USD), and others at similar savings. You can also find great deals on Ovations on ebay....they aren't considered "collectible" most of the time, so you'll escape the clutches of the "Gibson/Taylor/Martin/ETC. collectors", and get yourself a fantastic guitar at pennies on the dollar. The last Adamas I bought on eBay, last year, I paid $511 for! A guitar that lists for about $3,000!!
Hope this helps!!

Yea the American made Ovation's were way out of my price range when I went down to give it a try. Koreans just didn't sound right. Was only expecting to pay around £300-£350 ended up getting a Taylor Big Baby for £300 (Around USD$600). Shame Musicians Friend doesn't ship to the UK, some nice price drops on there.

I tried playing ovation guitars years ago (tried out everything from the low end to the high end) and even bought one (high end), but I ended up returning it because I didn't like the sound that much, and still haven't managed to find one that I love. The wasn't as rich as I would have liked, the lows especially. Of course the model I bought is different than the one you're looking at, I haven't tried playing an ovation guitar in forever and it's just my subjective personal experience but I thought I'd throw it in there!

Top Bottom