New Breedlove Ukulele Prices

SuperSecretJohn

Reaction score
Blah. That's a shame. I'll add one to the list after a KoAloha. I'd never get the first run anyway.

that is a shame...I'm a breedlove fan. I think they have both quality of build and good aesthetic style. Problem is, I think they're a little too big for their britches in some departments. For me its like, why would I pay $3,000 for a yamaha guitar, when I can get a Gibson, Taylor, Martin or a variety of others that specialize in more expensive production guitars. Likewise, why am I going to pay $1500 for a ukulele to get a ukulele made by a guitar company...if you wanna break into a new market, its my opinion that you can start off in the $600-$1000 range like the atlas series guitars to still attract the hobbyists. That gives them both the prestige of a higher quality uke, but also keeps them within reach for the average person to purchase.

I guarantee I'll never get one...for $1500 I'll get a NSB tenor from Moore Bettah for crying out loud!!! why would I ever spend that much money on something that is of unsure quality when I can get something from a renown maker of the utmost reputation for same price?

Last edited:
The problem Breedlove has is that they have to start their ukulele business in the same market and price point as their guitars, relatively speaking. I have never owned a Breedlove, but my perception is that they are a good factory builder, on par (or maybe a little above) Taylor, Larrivee and possibly Martin but below Collings. With that said, they cannot come out with a ukulele at $600, IMO (unless they branded it under Atlas). That puts them (Breedlove) only a couple hundred more (and in some cases, less) than certain factory built Asian instruments (Pono for one). I never heard any price resistance to Collings' ukuleles, so maybe that shows Collings reputation in the market verses Breedlove?

Jimmy

I'm pretty sure it was the Atlas series that really put Breedlove on the map in the first place...because it has a high quality, a reputation that stems from Taylor (giving them credibility), and a price point that keeps it affordable. The fact that they hang on the wall in GC's everywhere help a great deal so everyone can play them, but you dont see alot of their American mades on the GC wall (although some). I really think the Atlas series put them on the map and opened the door to the higher end market...they should do a 2-tier series like the guitars. Korean made vs American made with enough difference between the two to make the difference exciting.

and I would agree that the American made Breedloves are on par with the Taylor/Martin range of guitars...the atlas series is still solid, and the best bang for the buck in alot of ways, but not the same as American made guitars. I do own a breedlove atlas that has warmed up very nicely, and that because of age, is quite a nice guitar...but compared to another played-in Taylor 314, its no comparison.

If they were priced to compete with the standard Hawaiian K-brands, they might really have something there. But like Collings, they're priced a little too close to customs from William King, Chuck Moore, and Dave Means. Collings does make a damn good uke, and I'm sure that Breedlove will make something fantastic as well, but I think their target audience is guitar players who have heard of them before. Either way, cool to see another well-known guitar maker jump into the uke arena.

If they were priced to compete with the standard Hawaiian K-brands, they might really have something there. But like Collings, they're priced a little too close to customs from William King, Chuck Moore, and Dave Means. Collings does make a damn good uke, and I'm sure that Breedlove will make something fantastic as well, but I think their target audience is guitar players who have heard of them before. Either way, cool to see another well-known guitar maker jump into the uke arena.

In an interview from this years NAMM, Bill Collings said they sold 200+ ukuleles in 2009. That's pretty snappy business for the first year. I have no doubt that many of Collings ukuleles went to folks that own Collings guitars. The day will come that I will order a Collings ukulele because of the amazing quality of my Collings 000-2H. That guitar is now 17 years old and is the one guitar I will never sell, it is a great guitar.

Jimmy

I'm pretty sure it was the Atlas series that really put Breedlove on the map in the first place...because it has a high quality, a reputation that stems from Taylor (giving them credibility), and a price point that keeps it affordable. The fact that they hang on the wall in GC's everywhere help a great deal so everyone can play them, but you dont see alot of their American mades on the GC wall (although some). I really think the Atlas series put them on the map and opened the door to the higher end market...they should do a 2-tier series like the guitars. Korean made vs American made with enough difference between the two to make the difference exciting.

and I would agree that the American made Breedloves are on par with the Taylor/Martin range of guitars...the atlas series is still solid, and the best bang for the buck in alot of ways, but not the same as American made guitars. I do own a breedlove atlas that has warmed up very nicely, and that because of age, is quite a nice guitar...but compared to another played-in Taylor 314, its no comparison.

I respectfully disagree. Breedlove was on the market for a good while before they did Atlas. I think, in a way, Atlas has hurt Breedlove's ability to sell higher end guitars in the market. It is very rare, with any consumer product, where the low end helps drive the high end brand's distribution and sales. Your point is well taken that distribution of Atlas at Guitar Center is impressive, as is Taylor's 100, 200, and 300 series. Sadly for Breedlove, where Taylor also gets 700,800, and 900 series guitars in the stores, Breedloves are few and far between.

Jimmy

I respectfully disagree. Breedlove was on the market for a good while before they did Atlas. I think, in a way, Atlas has hurt Breedlove's ability to sell higher end guitars in the market. It is very rare, with any consumer product, where the low end helps drive the high end brand's distribution and sales. Your point is well taken that distribution of Atlas at Guitar Center is impressive, as is Taylor's 100, 200, and 300 series. Sadly for Breedlove, where Taylor also gets 700,800, and 900 series guitars in the stores, Breedloves are few and far between.

Jimmy

I hear ya Jimmy...my vantage was not from a high-end reputation perspective, but rather recognition in the largest area of the guitar market, the mid-ranged hobbyists. I'm not disagreeing with you at all, just see it differently...and really not sure what the truth is. I think that the Atlas put it in the hands of countless teens and college students, opening the door for future, higher end sales. They already have a good reputation based on their history with Taylor, a good start but I would see that as "limited" in that high end range. I would think that the atlas would have helped them establish a really booming financial base, and allowing them to come full circle back into the high end market with vengeance as these teens and college students have evolved and grown up with Breedlove. I think as the years go by, we'll see the American Breedloves on the GC wall as much as Taylor and Martins. I dont know what the strategy is, but that kind of seems like it to me.

I hear ya Jimmy...my vantage was not from a high-end reputation perspective, but rather recognition in the largest area of the guitar market, the mid-ranged hobbyists. I'm not disagreeing with you at all, just see it differently...and really not sure what the truth is. I think that the Atlas put it in the hands of countless teens and college students, opening the door for future, higher end sales. They already have a good reputation based on their history with Taylor, a good start but I would see that as "limited" in that high end range. I would think that the atlas would have helped them establish a really booming financial base, and allowing them to come full circle back into the high end market with vengeance as these teens and college students have evolved and grown up with Breedlove. I think as the years go by, we'll see the American Breedloves on the GC wall as much as Taylor and Martins. I dont know what the strategy is, but that kind of seems like it to me.

Here's the problem Breedlove faces, IMO. Breedlove never became truly established as an upper-mid to high end builder, certainly not like Martin or Taylor did.In fairness, Breedlove is MUCH younger than Martin and a fair amount younger than Taylor. In one way, it was smart to name their low end import something other than Breedlove (see Sigma by Martin years ago), now their work is cut out for them to get Breedlove established as a high end factory guitar

Jimmy

Here's the problem Breedlove faces, IMO. Breedlove never became truly established as an upper-mid to high end builder, certainly not like Martin or Taylor did.In fairness, Breedlove is MUCH younger than Martin and a fair amount younger than Taylor. In one way, it was smart to name their low end import something other than Breedlove (see Sigma by Martin years ago), now their work is cut out for them to get Breedlove established as a high end factory guitar

Jimmy

yap, thats the dilemma...they may just be content with being a mid-sized manufacturer when all is said and done, who knows? Eh, nothing happens overnight...what makes Gibsons and Martins so huge is their long history and tradition. Quality products pay into reputation and longevity...after a while, that longevity can turn into a history, tradition and mystique of its own...paying even bigger dividends as legitimately "established". Time will tell.

I wish more people would take notice of Seagul guitars...for the price, those guitars are champs and better than about any other guitar in their range.

I wish more people would take notice of Seagull guitars...for the price, those guitars are champs and better than about any other guitar in their range.

I have a Godin 5th Avenue archtop. It's made by the same company, and the quality is superb! These Canadians can really build guitars.

IMO extremely underpriced, but don't tell Godin!

I have a Godin 5th Avenue archtop. It's made by the same company, and the quality is superb! These Canadians can really build guitars.

IMO extremely underpriced, but don't tell Godin!

I really only brought them up because they are a company content with their status...they fly under the radar to alot of the newer crowd, but definitely have a following and an understood reputation for quality. I know alot of players who love their seaguls and have had them for 15+ years

I think it's hilarious to judge the price of something you've never played.

No one has judged the Breedlove ukulele. This entire thread has been about Breedlove's position in the market and whether their price positioning of their ukulele is correct. The market will determine that.

Jimmy

Last edited:
yeah, I think the closest anyone came to judging is when I said that I'd never buy one, because for $1500 I'd rather have a Moore Bettah NSB or another uke made by an uke company. Thats not judging the breedlove, its just saying that for the money, I lean toward companies that specialized in the instrument I'm buying. Alot of that is because I have the budget to only be able to justify ONE, nice instrument....so I'll default to those that specialize (it makes sense). I'm a breedlove fan, and I've always wanted one of their ukes, but in my mind (for my budget) its an unjustifiable novelty.

example for $3000 that I dont have, if I want to buy an acoustic guitar- all things being equal- which one am I NOT gonna buy: A) Gibson B) Martin or C) Yamaha...
I'll go with reputation and longstanding history within that particular market. Its not a judgment on anyone, its just how I buy my instruments based on my budget.

No one has judged the Breedlove ukulele. This entire thread has been about Breedlove's position in the market and whether their price positioning of their ukulele is correct. The market will determine that.

Jimmy

Sorry, I should have quoted what I was referring to.

I guarantee I'll never get one...for $1500 I'll get a NSB tenor from Moore Bettah for crying out loud!!! why would I ever spend that much money on something that is of unsure quality when I can get something from a renown maker of the utmost reputation for same price?

I don't know how you can compare the two without actually playing the two.

reading it back for 3rd time, that "unsure quality" along with my usual ranting tone, I can see where you're coming from. It does look like I was doggin' it maybe a bit. Hope I explained it well enough.

what I said is still true though. Its like buying Kix cereal..."Kid tested, mother approved"

I would just like to say I heart my Breedlove. I heart it more than my friend's very pricey Taylor (and not just because it's mine).

Maybe he just has a bad one, but I think it sounds dead and muted. My Breedlove sings, even with old strings.

I still wouldn't pay 3,000 for a uke, Breedlove or not.

Top Bottom