Your favorite concert neck, solid wood ukuleles?

casarole45

Reaction score
Hey dude, dudesess and gigapi.

Since joining this site I've found out about loads of ukulele's that I wouldn't have even thought of if it wasn't for people putting in their suggestions and thoughts.

So to give me ideas and expand my choice for when I get my next uke I was hoping you guys could tell me what you favorite ukulele's were.

Just two rules.
1) It has to have a concert size neck (body size can be anything but neck needs to be concert neck).
2) It's got to be solid top, back and sides.

Price range can be anything you want.

Thank you for feeding my UAS =D

Last edited:
Hey dude, dudesess and gigapi.

Since joining this site I've found out about loads of ukulele's that I wouldn't have even thought of if it wasn't for people putting in their suggestions and thoughts.

So to give me ideas and expand my choice for when I get my next uke I was hoping you guys could tell me what you favorite ukulele's were.

Just two rules.
1) It has to have a concert size neck (body size can be anything but neck needs to be concert neck).
2) It's got to be solid top, back and sides.

Price range can be anything you want.

Thank you for feeding my UAS =D

Since you already have some nice mid-range/low high-range imports, I would recommend getting a Koaloha long neck soprano or koaloha concert. You would not be disappointed. My super soprano and concert might be my two favorite ukuleles and I got some nice ukuleles.

Since you have the Mainland. I would recommend the KoAloha Concert also. I just got one and the neck it perfect, absolutely perfect

Seriously, the Koaloha Concert is very hard to beat for the quality, craftmanship, sound and price... So it's definitely worth checking it and should be somewhere on top of your list of ukes to consider if you're looking for a concert.

I have a Koaloha Concert and it is very simple, elegant and playable.

I now covet the rest of the range, starting with a super soprano.

My KoAloha concert can be a banjo killer with Worth CL strings and my KoAloha long-neck Pineapple soprano has the perfect voice for vocal accompaniment and fingerpicking. It sounds good with the Worth CL or Aquilla strings. But it doesn't matter, whichever KoAloha you might buy you'll want more. It's the KoAloha Curse, no one can be happy with just one.:)

Here is my fav, Concert neck Soilid body:

attachment.php

Might take a little while to get one though.

I am also considereing getting a Koaloha sometime soon due to all the recent hype about the Koaloha ukulele (Specifically the Concerts). Not that there was not hyoe before just seems to be a lot of it recently

Here is my fav, Concert neck Soilid body:

attachment.php

Might take a little while to get one though.

I am also considereing getting a Koaloha sometime soon due to all the recent hype about the Koaloha ukulele (Specifically the Concerts). Not that there was not hyoe before just seems to be a lot of it recently

I've noticed that too. After I get my koaloha tenor, the saving up for a MB begins.

I would have to second HaoleJohn's and others' Koaloha recommendations. Since you already have a pretty good mahogany fleet, its probably time for some koa. I don't yet own a Koaloha, but have played HaoleJohn's many times at meetings - superb instruments. I'm thinking my next uke will probably be either a concert of a super-soprano, because I like the soprano size of the body on my Flea, but the concert neck makes it easier for me to play. Of course with a full blown concert you also get a bit more volume and the bigger neck, so both would be nice to have.

I also agree with funmanshu, that the Koalohas are good values for what you get. They are not as cheap as many of the Asian imports, but I think the quality is definitely better. I just wish the price would quit going up. I think I need to raise my rates lol.

Last edited:
KoAloha for sure. They have everything you want in an ukulele.

Although if I could get Chuck Moore to make me a Moore Bettah I'd probably recommend one of those.

Another vote for a KoAloha concert. I find the neck easier to get around on then my Mainland concert. I also had a chance to play the KoAloha along side a Kanilea concert. The Kanilea's neck width seems to be slightly wider which I actually liked more but the sound on the KoAloha was much more to my liking. Also, narrower width notwithstanding, I liked the look and feel of KoAloha's Koa fretboard over Kanilea's rosewood.

I didn't play the KoAloha longneck soprano or longneck pineapple but I definitely will next time I visit the shop. Given how awesome the KoAloha Noah, concerts, and super-concerts were that I spent allot of time with, I imagine those longneck sopranos are great too.

wow, thats gotta be 9 out of 10 cats prefer the taste of KoAloha. I have to admit the KoAloha Super Soprano has got me pretty excited, I love soprano uke's but sold mine as I found the fretboard too limiting on what I wanted to play, but with a concert neck that would be awesome. I'd love to hear a youtube vid of the super soprano and concert side by side... hint at haolejohn ;)

That Moore uke looks beautiful, I've just checked out his site, he's got some stunning looking ukes on there.

Casserole - did you sell your Ohana SK-35G? I notice its not in your sig.

Maybe I will take my son's Zoom H4 to the SEUkers meeting tomorrow night. If haolejohn brings both his concert and his super soprano, we could probably make a sound clip of them side by side. I guess I could just use my phone, but the H4 does a far better job on the sound. That is assuming its warm enough and not too rainy to do it outside - too noisy inside Starbucks to hear anything well.

wow, thats gotta be 9 out of 10 cats prefer the taste of KoAloha. I have to admit the KoAloha Super Soprano has got me pretty excited, I love soprano uke's but sold mine as I found the fretboard too limiting on what I wanted to play, but with a concert neck that would be awesome. I'd love to hear a youtube vid of the super soprano and concert side by side... hint at haolejohn ;)

That Moore uke looks beautiful, I've just checked out his site, he's got some stunning looking ukes on there.

I am trying to get a camera so that I can make videos. I spent my camera money on two mainlands so I am a little delayed in that process. Larry offered to bring his recording thing so that can work. I have actually been wanting to do video comparisons of all my koalohas. I'll try to get those up as soon as possible.

Casserole - did you sell your Ohana SK-35G? I notice its not in your sig.

Maybe I will take my son's Zoom H4 to the SEUkers meeting tomorrow night. If haolejohn brings both his concert and his super soprano, we could probably make a sound clip of them side by side. I guess I could just use my phone, but the H4 does a far better job on the sound. That is assuming its warm enough and not too rainy to do it outside - too noisy inside Starbucks to hear anything well.

Yeah, it was an amazing sounding uke, but most of the stuff I play around with now goes up into the frets that I couldn't get too on it. So with a tear in my eye I sold it on to put funds towards the next uke.

@haolejohn, I'm sure loads of people would find that a really useful vid, good call.

John - forecast for tomorrow night is clear skies, but a touch cold. Supposed to be 61 degrees at 6 pm dropping to 51 by 9 pm. 61 ok if we do it early?

My R&L Koa supersoprano:
P1010167.jpg

My MELE Koa concert
P1010164.jpg

My S&J Mango concert
P1140214.jpg

My favorite non-custom concert neck ukulele that I actually own would be the Collings UC-1. Great workmanship and sound. And it could potentially be the "vintage Martin" of tomorrow.

I also think the KoAloha concert is great. I've never tried one that didn't sound great. For the money it's difficult to beat the KoAloha concert.

Collings UC-1
DSC02624.JPG

Favorite Concert

I can't let this thread go by without suggesting you seriously consider a Kanile'a concert. I have a K-1 that I love: the neck width/depth, the superb construction, the lovely koa matching, the finish. I have Worth clears on it and love the balance, tone and ease of playing. Koaloha is excellent, of course, but the Kanile'a line is well worth a look for around the same price range top to bottom.

I can't let this thread go by without suggesting you seriously consider a Kanile'a concert. I have a K-1 that I love: the neck width/depth, the superb construction, the lovely koa matching, the finish. I have Worth clears on it and love the balance, tone and ease of playing. Koaloha is excellent, of course, but the Kanile'a line is well worth a look for around the same price range top to bottom.

Kanileas are nice but they're not koalohas:).

I got my long neck and my concert. If larry (swb) brings his zomm thingy we will have sound samples.

Top Bottom