Resurgence of a rarely seen strain of UAS; so far few treatment options available.

euchre

Reaction score
This relatively rare strain of UAS called BAS (Banjolele Acquisition Syndrome) has popped up in a few isolated areas of the world in recent months--most notably the UK as exemplified by Mr. B, the Gentleman Rhymer. The latest resurgence, thought to be at least partially fueled by the mysterious promises of a popular uke company here on the Mainland, has now hit the mid-Atlantic states as well as most other regions of the country.

Like UAS, this strain is incurable, It seemingly appears out of nowhere with no rational explanation or previous affinity for banjo, banjo players or banjo music present as a predictor. Sadly, unlike UAS, BAS has few affordable treatment options. Some sufferers have reported temporary relief using the common UAS treaments, but none have reported lasting results. Hopeful players who Needmore treatment options are expecting at least temporary relief in time for the UWC gathering, when victims of both of these pernicious maladies from around the globe gather to give each other support.

Please respond if you, or anyone you know, have or think you have BAS.

Tom
BAS sufferer

Last edited:
I too have seen a flare up of this malady. Although, in the case I am observing, the patient has a extreme affinity towards bluegrass music, including the banjo and the upright bass. The regional aspect is the same although the Mainland issues were not reported. Perhaps if there was some support group for sufferers, a treatment and maybe one day a cure my be found (although I believe we are a long way off).

Good luck with your case.
Dan
BAS sufferer

My combo UAS and BAS is being held in remission for the moment. The lack of space, and the current costs of what I would like next, have kept me in check. But I know I am susceptible to a major flare-up at any time. Since I have a 5 string banjo, it can be a treatment, though it is not the same as a banjolele. When the right one comes along, I will be ready for it. I am afraid I have additional maladies, like RUAS (Resonator Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome) and a special branch of UAS (KUAS) (KoAloha Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome). I even have the rarer CUAS (Camp Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome), but that one is in check since there aren't any really nice ones out there to buy.

–Lori

My combo UAS and BAS is being held in remission for the moment. The lack of space, and the current costs of what I would like next, have kept me in check. But I know I am susceptible to a major flare-up at any time. Since I have a 5 string banjo, it can be a treatment, though it is not the same as a banjolele. When the right one comes along, I will be ready for it. I am afraid I have additional maladies, like RUAS (Resonator Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome) and a special branch of UAS (KUAS) (KoAloha Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome). I even have the rarer CUAS (Camp Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome), but that one is in check since there aren't any really nice ones out there to buy.

–Lori

Lori, you need to treat that CUAS! There at two (count 'em, two!) for sale on ebay right now....

Thanks Mailman. I missed the first one 'cause it wasn't listed with the Camp label. I should search banjo more often. Speaking of Banjolele, I would love a Beansprout in green. Can't wait to see the new Mainland ones.

–Lori

You like banjoleles....go back to eBay and look at the S. S. Stewart. Look at the detail on this thing....count the head brackets. I think you'll like (read that love) it.

You like banjoleles....go back to eBay and look at the S. S. Stewart. Look at the detail on this thing....count the head brackets. I think you'll like (read that love) it.

That does look like a nice one (a lot like a Bean Sprout) but I would have to hear it first. It's my new rule unless it is a really inexpensive ukulele. I still have no more room, unless I can get rid of some stuff... and I am working against the tide of more stuff coming in every day for my ukulele strap project. I will resist for now. Good thing that collector isn't in Los Angeles.

–Lori

Top Bottom