Here we go: Most balanced strings?

ukulelearp

Reaction score
Okay, I've been playing ukulele long enough and tried enough brands to know there isn't a flat-out best string. It all depends on your ukulele, playing style, preferences, etc. That being said, I'm looking for a more balanced string than my current set-up. I have a KPK Tenor with Aquilas. It sounds absolutely great when I'm just strumming chords, but they're less impressive when I'm picking. The best way I can describe it is that they lack any subtlety. It's almost like they still want to be strummed. I'd say my picking vs strumming is split about 50/50. So I'd like your opinions on what strings are best balanced for both. I can sacrifice a bit of volume and sustain for a sweeter sound.

well my pet peeve is a string set where the A string and the G string are the same gauge. The G is then too slack. Ok for strumming, but if you want to fingerpick the tension should be even.

Good sets that are working well for me are Ko'olau Golds or Martin flourocarbon, depending on the uke. I also have had Black Diamonds on some but they give out on the high frets. Excellent tone except for that.

I also tried genuine gut and those are very nice, more balanced than I thought they would be. When picked they give a very even sound and response, and the tone is something else.

I've tried a lot of different strings, and my favorites are the Fibre-Core strings by Guadalupe Custom Strings.

My husband is a strummer, while I am more of a picker, and we both really like these strings. They are very dynamic and responsive. And the tone of them is beautiful. They lack some of the volume of Aquilas (more similar in volume to Worths and D'Addarios). And since they have a fibre-core that is wound with clear nylon, they can produce more extraneous noise when you move your fingers. That seems to be more of an issue for me than it is for my husband.

As an added bonus, GCS will dye them different colors for you, including a rainbow of colors on each string. (I have the rainbow. My husband prefers the white.)

If you're interested, check out http://www.guadalupecustomstrings.com.

I've tried a lot of different strings, and my favorites are the Fibre-Core strings by Guadalupe Custom Strings.

My husband is a strummer, while I am more of a picker, and we both really like these strings. They are very dynamic and responsive. And the tone of them is beautiful. They lack some of the volume of Aquilas (more similar in volume to Worths and D'Addarios). And since they have a fibre-core that is wound with clear nylon, they can produce more extraneous noise when you move your fingers. That seems to be more of an issue for me than it is for my husband.

As an added bonus, GCS will dye them different colors for you, including a rainbow of colors on each string. (I have the rainbow. My husband prefers the white.)

If you're interested, check out http://www.guadalupecustomstrings.com.

I've been curious about these for a while. Do you have a picture of them?

Yeah, I'm a sucker for cool-looking strings. Looking forward to trying out Ko'olau Alohis on my tenor.

To respond to the OP, Worth Clears and KoAloha's stock fluorocarbon strings (I've heard they're the same) seem the most balanced to me out of everything I've tried. A little brighter than the Browns, but not as bright as Aquilas.

Last edited:
I've been curious about these for a while. Do you have a picture of them?

Yeah, I'm a sucker for cool-looking strings. Looking forward to trying out Ko'olau Alohis on my tenor.

Here are some quick photos of the multi-color ones. The white ones are just plain old white, wound with clear nylon. I'm going to put some on my spruce-top soon, and I'm sure they'll look fantastic against the light wood.

attachment.php

attachment.php

For balance, I love the Worth strings.

Top Bottom