Dumb question about anchoring down strings

itsme

Reaction score
My uke has a tie block at the bridge where you wrap the strings like you would on a classical guitar to tie them on.

I've seen others that use a "peg" similar to how a steel string acoustic guitar might be, but steel strings usually have a little washer attached to the bottom of the string end and you stick the peg in to keep them in place and the washer keeps them from sliding out.

What do you do on a peg-end uke if you use standard nylon strings? Do you just tie a knot in the end of them in lieu of a washer?

I realise this is a dumb question, but I wasn't sure what terms to even search on for an answer.

Thanks. :)

The only dumb question is that which goes unasked.
Yep. You simply tie a knot in the end.
I usually do a double knot and pull it tight with some pliers to grip the short end.
It actually works. I find it easier and quicker than the tie block method.

I love the look of bridge pins on a ukulele. I guess that's why I like the look of Kanilea so much. I wish more uke manufacturers felt the same way....

I guess you could also salvage the plastic ball ends from a set of ball-end nylon guitar strings like a D'Addario "Folk Nylon" set, and slip them onto the knots. But a knot or double knot alone should do the trick.

Top Bottom