Music theory...useful? how?

ikarin

Reaction score
Hello, UU lovers!

I have a question on music theory (basics of music, not too much details), especially to advanced/professional(?) uke players.

Yesterday at a ukulele circule, I got a new music score.
Me, as beginner uke player but as ex-piano player, I read it straight away and played it.
Whereas, some people, playing uke for over 3-5 years, can read a tab but not notation, so cannot play well until they listened to others to play the music.

I thought I'm happy to help them understood how to read notation, but some questions came up.

Is it really useful for them to understand music theory (really basics, like rhythms, melody, harmony, scales, etc) in the long run? For I have no idea on what's like to play without knowing them...

If so, how? In what occasion, like jam?
For I am still very beginner uker and don't know when it's necessary...

Thanks for your advices, as always

Naoko

I would say music theory is very important if you want to progress with any instrument. For example knowing blues scales whilst having a bluesy jam opens up a whole world. Also try saying to someone lets move this up to another key and it all goes to pot.

But it all depends on how far someone wants to go, I know plenty of great guitarists that aren't that great on theory, but they will always have limitations, your post shows some of these limitations.

Also my memory for is pretty aweful so when I used to play live I depended on doing a lot of the lead work as improv =D

Last edited:
I know a little of music theory like how the basic scales are constructed, circle of 5ths, etc. I understand the concept of "nashville numbers". All of that has made it much easier to swich keys, which as made it easier to play guitar, C tuned Ukes, D tuned ukes, slack key tuned ukes, open E tuned guitar, and harmonica during the same sitting. Also jamming in goups is easier. It was very useful and practical for me to take the time to learn it.

Can you communicate without talking? Yes.

Does it help in trying to communicate, to be able to talk? Immensely.

so, to answer your question - YES. It is important. You'll be fine playing covers in your own bedroom by yourself, but as soon as you get into a jam with competent players, without theory, you're good as gone.
First learn theory behind scales and chords. Then intervals.

www.musictheory.net

Get studying.

I think an understanding of music (which generally involves knowing music theory, but doesn't always have to) makes you a better musician in the same way an understanding of food makes you a better cook.

There are some people who can't cook a thing without a recipe. They put the ingredients together, and they have a good time, but they're really just painting by numbers. They don't really understand why they're doing what they're doing, or what the functions of the eggs, baking powder, salt, etc., are in the dish. There's nothing inherently wrong with this approach.

But then there are the people who are "chefs". They can open a fridge and cupboard, grab some random ingredients, and make a great meal out of whatever. And that's because they understand food. They know how everything works together, and they can predict what the outcomes of various combinations will and won't be. They're guiding their decisions with a good amount of experience that hangs on a framework of deep knowledge (and probably a fairly refined and tuned palate).

Music is the same way. I'm happy that anyone plays their own music on an instrument, just as I'm happy that someone attempts to cook their own food. Both things are getting pretty rare these days! But in both cases, the more you know about what you're doing, and the more you use that knowledge to tune your sensory apparatus, the easier it is to be creative, branch out, go beyond the page, and explore.

I was flipping through "Music Theory for Dummies" the other day at the bookstore. The first chapter has one of the best explanations of the "why" of music theory that I've ever read. It's too long to quote here, but I recommend heading over to Amazon and clicking the image of the book to preview it.

JJ

I think an understanding of music (which generally involves knowing music theory, but doesn't always have to) makes you a better musician in the same way an understanding of food makes you a better cook.

There are some people who can't cook a thing without a recipe. They put the ingredients together, and they have a good time, but they're really just painting by numbers. They don't really understand why they're doing what they're doing, or what the functions of the eggs, baking powder, salt, etc., are in the dish. There's nothing inherently wrong with this approach.

But then there are the people who are "chefs". They can open a fridge and cupboard, grab some random ingredients, and make a great meal out of whatever. And that's because they understand food. They know how everything works together, and they can predict what the outcomes of various combinations will and won't be. They're guiding their decisions with a good amount of experience that hangs on a framework of deep knowledge (and probably a fairly refined and tuned palate).

Music is the same way. I'm happy that anyone plays their own music on an instrument, just as I'm happy that someone attempts to cook their own food. Both things are getting pretty rare these days! But in both cases, the more you know about what you're doing, and the more you use that knowledge to tune your sensory apparatus, the easier it is to be creative, branch out, go beyond the page, and explore.

I was flipping through "Music Theory for Dummies" the other day at the bookstore. The first chapter has one of the best explanations of the "why" of music theory that I've ever read. It's too long to quote here, but I recommend heading over to Amazon and clicking the image of the book to preview it.

JJ

JJ....for once I have to disagree with you.

My wife bought me "Music Theory for Dummies" for Valentine's Day. I've read the first chapter. Your explanation of the "why" of music theory (cook vs chef, etc.) is by far the best I've read.

I do recommend the book....it's great! But you just have a way of explaining things that really resonates with me....

I give my highest recommendation to everyone to get the book

http://www.edly.com/mtfpp.html

It is a great book, very informative, easy to read and (I know most cannot believe anyone would say this about a theory book) FUN!

The more you know, the better off you will be.

Hmm... That's actually a very good question. Here is my take on that, even though it may not be very popular with hard core musicians that read, and study music.

1st, a little history about myself. I am 49 years old, and played a Bass since the mid 1970s. I played in the Jazz band in HS for one year until we got a new music teacher. Everyone loved me on Bass, and said I played with soul, and they can tell my music came from real deep inside me. I contribute that to a couple things. I love music #1, and #2, I have never been confined my the "laws" of music. I played the music that was in my heart, not in a song book. I think that came across by comments people made about my style of play. The Jazz band instructor loved my contribution to the band. We had another bass player that was very technical. He was an awesome bass player, but again, very technical, and black and white. Myself, not so technical, and in some cases, didn't play the same song the same each time. It all depended on my mood. You can't count on that in a "Technical" setting I know. But, when the Jazz instructor transferred schools, we got a new instructor, whom was VERY technical. He was a music major and I know that is why. Nothing really wrong with that IMHO, especially in a learning environment. You have to have standards, guidelines in order to teach from them I know. But, on his first day, he introduced himself and made this comment. "I understand that there are one or two of you in this band that may, or may not read, or understand the laws of music. That said, if you are willing to learn it, and abide by it, you may remain in my band. If you feel that is too much to ask, you may leave my room now...". Well, now that I am an adult, I do understand what he was driving at. He wanted discipline in his ranks. I can understand that now in that setting. But, as a soulful, hard headed teen that loved MY music, didn't take to that very well, and I stood right up and walked out. Hindsight, I kind of wished I had stayed and did it his way for the time being. If I had, and learned "music", it may have made it easier for me to do it my way, when I had that control. The band was in an uproar, and even the other bass player left even though that was right up his alley, just out of respect for my style of play. So did a couple others in the Jazz band. As much as I appreciated their support, and respect for my style of play, they really should have stayed with it with the new guy. I do think a couple of them went back. But the bass player, and another did not. That is unfortunate IMHO. Anyway, I went on to play in another smaller band that played Jazz, and did very well, because in that freelance environment, I had creative control to hone my , free, soulful style of play.

That said, I feel the "laws" of music tend to bind the creative side of music. I don't follow those laws today, because I do still play from the heart and soul, and not sheet music. I can barely read music, and definitely do not understand all the "laws". I do also think that if I did at least have an understanding of those laws, I wouldn't have had to stumble around as much learning a specific song. I think there really needs to be a very good, rounded balance of musical theory, laws, AND what comes from your soul. You should be disciplined enough to understand what you are doing, but open enough to bend the laws to make your own music and sound.

I can not lie and say that I did not get a sense of satisfaction hearing from others that the Jazz band in high school seemed to miss the heart and soul that my bass rhythm playing gave it when I was in it. But, they were very disciplined and technically correct. <grin>

I have to add that the analogy with the cook, and food as pertained to music is a very good one. I am not against musical theory. I do think that with that background from the beginning, it would have made it much easier for me along the way. But, you also have to be willing to bend it. So, yes, it is important, and if I wasn't such a stubborn kid back then, I would have realized that and learned it then, and made it easier on myself as I matured...

It depends on what you want to do.

Given that more knowledge is better than less knowledge, the more you know, the more versatile you will be. My degree in music is helpful (although my coursework is 35 years in the past and I've forgotten much of it because I don't use it!)

Let's put it this way: I've played guitar for 40 year. I started by learning scales and can play them on the guitar. I can pretty much fake my way through anything.

But I haven't done that with uke yet. I can play some basic chords (which I still think of in their old guitar names--for example, the C chord 0003 pops into my head as a simple G chord, cause that's how it is on guitar.) So basically, it's like being a level 1 English learner. I'm stumbling through. In order to really go farther, I'm going to have to learn the scales on the uke fretboard, the names of the notes, and start thinking in uke language. That takes knowledge of theory.

I think sometimes the word "theory" in "music theory" scares people away unnecessarily. Makes it sound highfalooting and complicated and academic, when a lot of it really is not - or at least no more than basic arithmetic.

If you have a good ear, music theory just gives you a systematic way of talking about what you probably already know on some level - the sound of different scales and chords and keys, etc. If your ear is not as "natural", then theory can help you make sense of the details.

I also second EDW's suggestion above of "Edly's Music Theory for Practical People". I think it's far clearer, better organized, and more fun than either the "Dummies" or "Idiots" books.

Part of the reason I wanted to play the ukulele was to learn and understand music. It isn't so easy to understand music theory on the single note instrument like the saxophone (which I played from grade school to high school). Keys make more sense to me know that I play a chordaphone because I can play four notes at a single time. I've been playing the ukulele since January 2010 (so not very long) but I've already asked for "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory."

Of course, I should temper these comments with the fact that I'm also a PhD student so I may have interests that are more theoretical than the general population...

I agree with those who believe you learn theory to get you where you want to go with your music.
I believe every player benefits from knowing what chords go in what keys.
If you know chord progressions you can quickly learn new songs and be able to play along in a group.
Theory can be boring, I like to learn a song and then figure out the theory. I teach my beginners Five Foot Two.
After we are playing it I explain the circle of fifths. We then transpose the song to another key (some more theory) and play away.
I believe if you can apply whatever theory you know to your songs you can learn more.

Music theory is the codification of things a "soulful" musician innately understands. Most of us probably have a little bit of "soul" and can benefit from some formal study.

Lots of good opinions here. The only thing I'll say... Playing uke or any instrument would be about 1/100th as fun for me if I didn't have a basic/intermediate knowledge of theory. Scales, different chord shapes/progressions, keys, whatever... all add more blocks to the box that I build with!

Last edited:
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. I can't sight read to save my life, and tabs do nothing for me, but knowing chord structure and common progressions makes writing or figuring out songs much easier. Knowledge is power.

I think at a minimum, understanding the concepts of key, and how scales and chords relate, is the difference between playing a song, and playing music. Like JJ said - it's the difference between being told how to make something, and being able to make something. His cooking metaphor is perfect.

Imagine building a house by only being told what steps to take, and not being able to understand why the steps are important. If anything deviates from the plan – you have no ability to adapt or change. Chances are, you’ll build a crappy house and not know why.

Music theory is about the "why" and not just the "how". You don’t need it – but it sure makes things easier.

That’s the common misconception – that music theory complicates things. In fact, it simplifies everything and makes more things possible in a shorter amount of time.

As for standard notation (which for the record has almost nothing to do with musical theory) - I can't sight read, although I can puzzle out notation given a bit of time. I prefer Nashville notation when I write – it’s just a short-hand style of chord chart that is independent of key. Again, understanding various notation just makes things easier.

It goes for almost everything -- you need to know the rules in order to break them.

I know a fair amount of theory, but most of the time, I ignore it :). Conventional rules and standards bore me too much. But this pretty much only applies to how I use the ukulele as an instrument: for me, it's more of a tool to provide accompaniment for storytelling rather than a lone instrument. In my case, music theory isn't too much of a big deal (knowing scales, chord formations and keys are about all I really need).

If you want to get involved in jams, a strong background in basic music theory is necessary. If you want to treat the ukulele as its own instrument, even more is necessary. Knowing how to read sheet music doesn't seem necessary for the uke, though (helpful, of course, when the need arises), because (and correct me if I'm wrong, folks) there isn't a whole lot of sheet music available for the ukulele. I mean, you're not going to find tons of symphonies written for the ukulele or anything right now. Most people rely on tablature, so it's more helpful to know how to read that.

It all depends what you want to actually do with the uke. To use JJ's analogy further, if you want to make a beautifully-presented dish, it doesn't necessarily have to taste good (provided nobody eats it). If you want it to look and taste good, you need to know how all the ingredients work with each other. And if you want it to look good, taste good, and have enough to serve to 100+ people, you need to know all the previous information and how to prepare it efficiently without winding up poisoning anyone in the process. (I think I took this too far, but you get the idea.)

Top Bottom