Video and Audio Field Recorders

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
Does anyone own one of the Zoom H3 or Alesis audio video recorders? I have an H2 audio recorder and love. This looks like something I could use.

Zoom Q3

Alesis has one that is $50 cheaper.

Alesis

Can anyone give me any pros and cons from expereience with them?

Last edited:
The Zoom model is Q3, not H3.

If it was hi-def, I'd grab one in a minute. I already have a Flip HD, a Zoom H4n and H2.

I just got the H4N, it appears to be quality stuff.

The built-in mics are ok, but seem to be oriented for guitar and vocal. Uke sounds better with my AKG condenser mic (which originally cost more than the whole H4N!). I'm also going to try some large diaphragm condensers with it also.

I'm going to make up a briefcase with the whole recording setup inside, just open it up and power on. The H4N records very well, seems to have some sort of limiter in it that keeps you from clipping. Before I was recording to the soundcard through a cassette recorder and I got either lots of clipping or a level way under the ceiling. This thing just works.

And no machine noise, power cords, etc driving you crazy.

Uke sounds better with my AKG condenser mic (which originally cost more than the whole H4N!). I'm also going to try some large diaphragm condensers with it also.

I don't think the Q3 has an external mic input. (a shame) It can record audio only, and at 24 bit/96k resolution. (better than CD quality) Audio wise, it should be on par with the H2.
I couldn't find the Alesis audio specs. even on the Alesis site.
Might want to check with Sweetwater. They have lifetime product support on what they sell, and a two year warranty and free shipping. (my opinion)

Top Bottom