harmony repair?

jellybean

Reaction score
I have an old Harmony uke that has some very slight hairline "cracks" on the upper soundboard and on the back...so, so tiny...should I be concerned and do anything to stabilize them? I just got the uke from someone else...and now have it humidified.

Thanks for the advice..J.

If they aren't affecting the sound I wouldn't do anything to them.

Pete Howlett often recommends putting a small piece of gummed packaging tape (the kind that is made of paper with a moisture-activated adhesive) behind small cracks. But again, I think I would only do that if it were rattling or otherwise changing the tone.

IMHO, If you can get some hide glue into the cracks it could keep them from expanding, thereby, stopping any further splitting. I say "hide glue" because you can work it into the area and let it dry, but later, if you plan to clean out the area, you could apply a warm to hot, soft cloth to the small amount of hide glue used and this will soften the hide glue up allowing you to remove it once again with a small amount of effort. Just a thought...e.lo..

I bought a Harmony uke a couple of years ago with a crack in the upper bout. It had one cleat and I left it at that, but I wish I hadn't. This winter the crack opened up and lengthened considerably. I have added two more cleats, and that seems to have the situation under control.

thanks for the advice everyone...I'm off to get some hide glue...at what point is it necessary to use a cleat?...i.e. with a hiarline crack on the surface, will the glue be enough?

and do I need clamps of any sort? I appreciate the tips..J.

jellybean, don't ask me. I never heard of a cleat fix before. But that's because I don't know everything....yet! hahaha.... good luck, e.lo.
PS. no need to buy the original hide glue where you have to heat up a pot to make the glue, just get some in a bottle Titebond Liquid Hide Glue.
Here's the amazon.com link to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Franklin-International-Titebond-8-Ounces-5013/dp/B0002YXE7K

Last edited:
I have an old Harmony uke that has some very slight hairline "cracks" on the upper soundboard and on the back...so, so tiny...should I be concerned and do anything to stabilize them? I just got the uke from someone else...and now have it humidified.

Thanks for the advice..J.
The way you describe these tiny, hairline cracks; I wonder if they are not just cracks in the finish?

Top Bottom