Work in progress...

dave g

Reaction score
wop032310.jpg

A spalted maple teardrop tenor and a koa & oak concert. I'd forgotten how difficult that spalted stuff is to bend - took three tries to make those sides!

Off to make fret boards & bridges :D

Wow, interesting koa top. Is the fretboard and the top all one piece of koa? If so, are you going to use the koa neck "as-is" and simply place the frets into it.? ...e.lo..

Wow, interesting koa top. Is the fretboard and the top all one piece of koa? If so, are you going to use the koa neck "as-is" and simply place the frets into it.? ...e.lo..

I run the top panel all the way out over the neck. Kind of an odd way to do it, but but I'm used to it (although with these more expensive woods I may rethink the practice...). There will be a rosewood fretboard on top in the conventional manner.

That spalted maple looks awsome! Can't wait to see it with the finish on it.

I run the top panel all the way out over the neck. Kind of an odd way to do it, but but I'm used to it (although with these more expensive woods I may rethink the practice...). There will be a rosewood fretboard on top in the conventional manner.
I've seen this method before. Perhaps your website or previous post. Think it would certainly provide excellent continuity between the neck and body. How the fret board would interface hadn't quite clicked for me before. Thanks to your post, now I think I've got it.
Very nice indeed.

Thanks, everybody :)

I can't get over how beautiful koa is - I put the first coat of lacquer on it and the darn stuff just transforms into "wow!". It's not even a particularly well figured piece, but it just looks gorgeous with some finish on it.

Looks great Dave. Is the spalted from your firewood pile? I have to tell you that your video where you show taking the firewood to the jointer is one of the first videos that really got me excited about building ukes. Thanks!

Looks great Dave. Is the spalted from your firewood pile? I have to tell you that your video where you show taking the firewood to the jointer is one of the first videos that really got me excited about building ukes. Thanks!

what video is that?

i just love the look of spalted woods.

Top Bottom