Got the Victoria Vox songbook for Ukulele today...

rmcnelly

Reaction score
It has some of the songs from her first 2 albums and is a lot of fun since I like her songs. They are not complicated to play and give me another purpose for my UAS as I have now tuned the Ohana Vita to F#-B-D#-G# as many of her songs are tuned for this.

She has a new Ukulele album coming out and will have a songbook for it too.

Here is her website:

http://victoriavox.com/

No affiliation, just a fan.

I love the first two albums, and I'm sure I'll love the new one, too. I had no idea she had a songbook available; what a cool idea! You say they're "not complicated"....just how playable are they? Are there some that a novice could master?

I'm off to the website to see about the songbook....thanks!

Right on, we all love Victoria Vox here at the Underground. Did you know she wrote a song specifically for our charity compilation album?

Right on, we all love Victoria Vox here at the Underground. Did you know she wrote a song specifically for our charity compilation album?

Seeso, I know she wrote a song for the "Square Pegs & Round Holes" CD that was a fund raiser for the American Asperger's Society (love mine!). Is that the one you mean?

I've been playing "The Bird Song" which is very simple with 4 chords A-E-F#-D but this is in the alternate uke tuning I mentioned in the first post. Nothing complicated and the chord shapes are included for each chord. "America" has only three chords so these two are suitable for beginners. Some of the other songs move a little further up the fretboard with chords starting on the 3rd or 4th fret. I think this will be a good transition songbook which will improve a beginners playing. Especially if you have the albums already and can play along to learn the strums - you have to do that part yourself ;-)

She handles the email and shipping herself by the way which is a very personal touch.

Thanks for the info about the charity album Seeso, I didn't know this.

I'll be sure to check that one out! If you can, give a listen to "Make a Mess" on "Square Pegs & Round Holes"....

Isn't there a way to play the songs written for A- E-F#-D on a uke tuned to G-C-E-A?

Seeso, the link listed there for her song no longer works.

The link is down. It was live just for the evaluation period. The next time you'll be able hear it will be when the album comes out. :)

Isn't there a way to play the songs written for A- E-F#-D on a uke tuned to G-C-E-A?

I am pretty sure those are the chords in the song. She uses different tunings for a lot of her songs. As long as you're not playing along with her CD, you can play the listed chords, just don't look at the chord chart shown.

deach-I see that I made a mistake and listed the chords in the song rather than the tuning.(I'm sure you can guess which one of us was writing the question :p, ugh!)

rmcnelly- I tried your suggestions about using the chord fingerings given in the diagrams and ignoring the chord names to play in a different tuning and that sounded right. Ron and I wanted to try The Bird Song and C'est Noye' which are both written for the other tuning.

So thanks to you both, for addressing my question.

And, thanks for the comments on our video. Did you happen to notice the comments about and from Victoria. We had seen her at a concert at Boordy Vinyard in Maryland, in the Fall and the friends there with us asked if she minded others posting her songs on YT. She told us that as long as no one sings her songs better than she does, that she doesn't mind. HaHa, not much chance of that!! With all the copyright issues lately, it was wonderful that she appreciated that we just loved the song.We really think she's terrific. BTW, we have tickets fo her pre-CD release show in Baltimore next Sunday. Is anyone else going?

-Jeanne

Last edited:
Okay, I think I've got this figured out now....

Apparently for some of the songs she uses an alternative tuning. Is it correct that it's a step down from GCEA? Do you have any trouble with the strings feeling slack?

Okay, I think I've got this figured out now....

Apparently for some of the songs she uses an alternative tuning. Is it correct that it's a step down from GCEA? Do you have any trouble with the strings feeling slack?

Yep, some songs are tuned down a bit, and the slacker strings haven't given me any trouble on the particular uke I'm doing this with (Ohana Vita w/Aquilas).

And, thanks for the comments on our video. Did you happen to notice the comments about and from Victoria. We had seen her at a concert at Boordy Vinyard in Maryland, in the Fall and the friends there with us asked if she minded others posting her songs on YT. She told us that as long as no one sings her songs better than she does, that she doesn't mind. HaHa, not much chance of that!! With all the copyright issues lately, it was wonderful that she appreciated that we just loved the song.We really think she's terrific. BTW, we have tickets fo her pre-CD release show in Baltimore next Sunday. Is anyone else going?

-Jeanne

Jeanne,

I am very impressed with Victoria's willingness to share her music with others who wish to play it. Discovering the songbook was a pleasant surprise and I'm looking forward to her new album. Unfortunately, I can't make it up to Baltimore to see her show. Have fun and let us know how it was!

Top Bottom