Which ukulele for my son?

That TEM may be laminate, but everything I've seen and heard from them has been great! They have a great voice - not sure that they're "quieter" like you post...

That TEM may be laminate, but everything I've seen and heard from them has been great! They have a great voice - not sure that they're "quieter" like you post...

Ah, laminates always seemed softer to me, thanks for clearing that up!

I am all about the spruce top... but part of it is because I love my loud uke (and I have a Kala, spruce top, just with the spalted maple sides, so I am biased). The flamed mahogany is very pretty. You really can not go wrong with either. I would look at your son's personality and what you think he will be using it for. If he is a loud, likes to play rock songs, in your face type of kid, I would go with the spruce. If he is a more mellow, folk-type player, and chill, I would go with the mahogany. That is just my weird input.

I really like the flame model, and this from a devoted solid wood guy! I believe that this is some of the new era thin laminates that Kala and some other manufacturers have developed...MGM could probably verify that. I've seen and heard both of these ukes and the difference in sound is not really noticible, so all things being equal there...the laminate should be less affected by enviroment and storage. Another plus is the "bling" factor which is definitely higher on the TEM model. I know this is all subjective, but if you can ONLY get one uke, then go TEM...(UAS get thee behind me!)
:drool:

He's going to be 17
Then why don't you just ask him what he'd like? Kids these days have pretty definite ideas about what they want. Let him choose or give him a price range and let him pick one out himself. I'm sure he'd like to be in on the selection. Then just tell him to act surprised when he unwraps it in front of everyone. :p

Then why don't you just ask him what he'd like? Kids these days have pretty definite ideas about what they want. Let him choose or give him a price range and let him pick one out himself. I'm sure he'd like to be in on the selection. Then just tell him to act surprised when he unwraps it in front of everyone. :p

I second this.

holy buckets! i wish someone wanted to buy ME that nice of a uke!

I personally like the finish on the second ukulele listed, but it is a laminate, will that reduce performance?

Exactly what I did, except for the acting part, hehe.

Out of all in the price range I gave him, those are the two, but he likes the TEM better so that's what we're getting. :)

Nice choice!!! That is a beautiful looking uke!!!! Congrats and don't forget to show us the pictures!!

Top Bottom