A uke club for my school

Darthouellet

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals.
As some of you might know. I teach music in a high school in Québec, Canada. Where I live, only a few persons know what a ukulele is. No joke. For a couple of months, I have bring my uke in class and i took the time to explain to my students everything I knew about this instrument. I don't know what happened, but this week, 4 kids at school came to me with their own ukulele and showed a lot of interest to learn more about "what is not a little guitar" (as they said to to other students lol). What is sad is that my principals forbid the teaching of ukulele in class because it is supposedly not a serious instrument. So now, I'm a adult thinking like a kid: SHCOOL SUCKS!

So I will probably start a ukulele club so we, ukes lovers, will be able to live without the prejudices of the authorities.... How rebel is that? Long live ROCK AND ROLL and UKES FOREVER!!!! (dude, I feel like William Wallace right now lol)

Have a nice day everyone
and by the way, sorry for my poor english, I'm french.

Unfortunately, there are snobs in so many schools. You should invite James Hill when he is in town next!

I can't believe that anyone knocks a kid that wants to learn to play an instrument - so good on ya, all the best with your rebel ukulele club. Talking about the ukulele going underground...

FReeeeeeeeeDommmmmmmm!! Goahn an peck a fight! And show your Principal a Jake S. video, or Taimane, or heck any good youtube video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZknGc7eDmI leaps to mind! NOT a serious instrument....pffft!

Last edited:
It's always the same story with uke...but all you have to do is prove them that uke is not a toy.

By the way, I've created the first uke club around Montréal, you can drop by if you ever come to Montréal!

yeah that does suck what an uptight principal, i too am a teacherand am always playing ukulele to my students i run the performing arts program so i can say what insruments we learn and of course i teach ukulele to grade 3 and 5 at the moment percussion to the 4's and music technology to the 6's
also will be starting a uke group for the students that are into it, and will be doing a collaboration with our sister school in japan, all the best ovecoming the powers that frown upon the ukulele, you cant stop the love for music and if parents are behind you get them to say to the principal they want their children to learn the instrument, your principal sounds ignorant to what music is or can be you can make music from anything why stfle creativity especially when it presents itself to you, you gott make music fun and what is as fun as ukulele, i think uke is one of the most enjoyable instruments to play

Unfortunately, there are snobs in so many schools. You should invite James Hill when he is in town next!

I can't believe that anyone knocks a kid that wants to learn to play an instrument - so good on ya, all the best with your rebel ukulele club. Talking about the ukulele going underground...

James' classroom program is a Canadian program. How can a Principal be so narrow minded?
Look up his material on the web
http://www.ukuleleintheclassroom.com/
or http://www.ukuleleyes.com

Ok, I had a talk with my Principals. 2 of them where school teacher once in there career... So here is the verdict: the kids aren't allowed to play the ukuleles in the cafeteria (because it can forms group gangs ???? So they say). So I propose to create a uke club. And they agreed. Well at least the kids haven't lost everything. When it will be warmer outside they will be able to go play ukuleles outside ( I can't believe I had to fight for this possibility). Well I can promise you one thing and thats for sure. I'm the one in charge for the "End of the school year show". And I'm gonna UKE IT UP as much as I can. Anyway, It's a show for the kids, and they are with me in this. We are gonna show them what uke luv's mean. Hiiiiiiiiihaaaaa!

yeah that does suck what an uptight principal, i too am a teacherand am always playing ukulele to my students i run the performing arts program so i can say what insruments we learn and of course i teach ukulele to grade 3 and 5 at the moment percussion to the 4's and music technology to the 6's
also will be starting a uke group for the students that are into it, and will be doing a collaboration with our sister school in japan, all the best ovecoming the powers that frown upon the ukulele, you cant stop the love for music and if parents are behind you get them to say to the principal they want their children to learn the instrument, your principal sounds ignorant to what music is or can be you can make music from anything why stfle creativity especially when it presents itself to you, you gott make music fun and what is as fun as ukulele, i think uke is one of the most enjoyable instruments to play

Really? I don't quite get it.

It's the same everywhere. There are the teachers that are not willing to look at something new. However, parents here in Cairns are so pleased to hear when they hear that the school has replaced the ukulele with the recorder. Of course it's only a few schools so far that are teaching ukulele, but I am sure that after our ukulele festival and seeing the other schools perform at it, more will follow.

So here is the verdict: the kids aren't allowed to play the ukuleles in the cafeteria (because it can forms group gangs ???? So they say).

Hey fellow UU's what are our gang colors ?
I think we should have a rumble with one of the rival guitar gangs (I mean forums).

Move over "Crypts" here come the UU's.

Hey fellow UU's what are our gang colors ?
I think we should have a rumble with one of the rival guitar gangs (I mean forums).

Move over "Crypts" here come the UU's.
i think it's "Crips?"
I'm a member so i know this stuff. :p

but Darthouellet, that's great! i'm sure i don't need to tell you this but make sure to really uke their minds out at the final performance, because though they may be right about a uke not being a "serious" instrument, (what does that even mean anyhow? what's the point of playing music if you're being serious and somber about it) it still sounds amazing! good luck my friend!

Well thanks for the support guys. I will tell you more about it soon. And Barnz, you are so right. Playing music is about having fun.... serious fun sometimes, but no less fun.

I'm so glad that there are so many clubs sprouting up. My story seems to be the reverse to some people's experience. I had positive responses when I started my club (with the help of Ric). But now that students are bringing our Ukuleles around I have teacher's complaining that they try to play their ukes during class... Needless to say I have had to have a little talk with them.

Top Bottom