PDA

View Full Version : Interesting discussion regarding the current uke craze

UKISOCIETY
03-24-2010, 05:35 AM
Uke Crazy Bitches are in a funk over the current uke craze. Check out the last few days posts (http://www.ukecrazybitches.com/) and the comments.

rasputinsghost
03-24-2010, 05:46 AM
I think the nature of the ukulele being a niche instrument is what attracted a lot of people to it in the first place. Now that it's more popular, it's becoming less of a niche instrument and a lot more mainstream. I understand their feelings about that.

However, other enthusiasts aren't as sensitive to cultural trends as we are. I mean, gardening is the most popular hobby in the US (90 million people!) and if more people suddenly picked up gardening, should we get depressed/become critical of them? Should we feel as though people are horning on the Good Thing We Got Going On? I think we should be happy about people discovering the thing that also makes us happy.

However, I refuse to play I'm Yours. So there's that.
(At the same time playing Julia Nunes' cover of Gone is really fun. So I do that.)

Plus, whichever way the wind blows, I'm gonna keep playing, and I hope you guys do too.

thomas
03-24-2010, 05:59 AM
I like bacon...Bacon is the best brand of bacon too.

Ukeffect
03-24-2010, 06:01 AM
I'm not so worried about UCB...but SOMEONE needs to send Deach some bacon! I'm on a mission now! (Since he's watching his cholesterol...should I try sneaking in some soy or turkey bacon?) *shudder*

brickerenator
03-24-2010, 06:09 AM
That kid is adorable

Captain_Lovehandles
03-24-2010, 06:11 AM
I went through the same thing with another (guitar) forum last year. The newbies killed all the fun for the old guard. And I realize I'm probably one of the "golfers" that Grumpy hates. But what's the solution? If one of the offenders comments on your video, reply with "I hate you. Please don't comment on my videos again"? Probably not. Hopefully somebody will have a better suggestion.

I really do understand what you all are talking about. I'm sorry you're not enjoying it anymore.

paraclete
03-24-2010, 06:12 AM
How pathetic.... get depressed because other people have discovered the joys of something you love? Immature, even. Trends over music likes and dislikes have never swayed me one way or the other. I think it's awesome that the uke popularity is getting more people to discover the joys of playing music.

SweetWaterBlue
03-24-2010, 06:13 AM
Alan - Dealing with the deep-seated UCB psychological problems created by the uke becoming popular are above my pay grade, but your Sienna commercials are hilarious and superbly produced. I had missed them somehow on YT.

didgeridoo2
03-24-2010, 06:18 AM
Seems like an easy fix. Quit logging onto uke forums. Just play.

ukecantdothat
03-24-2010, 06:25 AM
I don't know if it's an old saying, but I've heard it before that the last one into paradise is always the first to slam the door.

Captain_Lovehandles
03-24-2010, 06:31 AM
Seems like an easy fix. Quit logging onto uke forums. Just play.

Sadly, that's pretty much what happened with the other group.

It wasn't that long ago when I first heard the term "microfame". That one word put forums, Youtube, social networking into perspective for me. What am I doing on the internet that matters? Nothing really, just having fun I hope.

salukulady
03-24-2010, 06:32 AM
Well, I'm sorry if Grumpy and Deach have lost their passion for the uke. They have both added so much to this place.
Anything you take up as a hobby (if playing an instrument is a hobby) will evolve over time, either becoming a passing faze for you or something you truly love. Sometimes they are just a stepping stone onto the next project you choose to tackle. The popularity of the item shouldn't dictate whether or not you continue to play it. There will always be the nerd who yells, "Play I'm Yours" at any stage containing a uke. (This happen to me two weeks ago at an extended family party, I politely invited the offender on stage to sing the song. She did a poor rendition of it, no harm, no foul.) There will also be the snot nosed kid trying to play "crap" on the uke. Some very accomplished uke players started that way. I know a few Hawaiians that have a hard time being comfortable with anything but true Hawaiian music being played on a uke.
I have been playing flute for 39 years. In the 70's Ian Anderson's flute playing in Jetro Tull was all the rage. To someone who was serious about the instrument, Ian's flutter tonguing style was just annoying. How many times I had friend say, "Hey play Aqualung". Comments like that and the popularity of the instrument did not make me put it down.
How others perceive an instrument is their deal, not mine.
I play the instrument because it pleases me, when it stops being fun, I'll put it down and move on. But I really doubt that will happen for me, and I hope Grumpy and Deach stay with it also.

dnewton2
03-24-2010, 06:39 AM
This is kind of suprising to hear from the UCB. I under stand where Grumpy and Deach are coming from, and have had similar thoughts. I also miss the old days in the forums, I also miss wakeing up on Christmas morning to see Santa had visited my house. But things change. A lot of the 'old gaurd' don't really even post anymore and I wish they would but it might be hard to find their posts among the numerous other posts in the forums.

When I started playing uke it was because I wanted to, I had seen very little ukeing on youtube or anywhere else. I play the uke today because I want to and it makes me happy. I have never made a video (well one time someone asked for a sound sample of a uke I have but you won't find it anywhere) or played an open mic, or even for people outside of my family. So honestly If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

I have to agree with paraclete on this one, kind of pathetic. Sorry but it is.

pithaya9
03-24-2010, 06:41 AM
Well, I'm sorry if Grumpy and Deach have lost their passion for the uke. They have both added so much to this place.
Anything you take up as a hobby (if playing an instrument is a hobby) will evolve over time, either becoming a passing faze for you or something you truly love. Sometimes they are just a stepping stone onto the next project you choose to tackle. The popularity of the item shouldn't dictate whether or not you continue to play it. There will always be the nerd who yells, "Play I'm Yours" at any stage containing a uke. (This happen to me two weeks ago at an extended family party, I politely invited the offender on stage to sing the song. She did a poor rendition of it, no harm, no foul.) There will also be the snot nosed kid trying to play "crap" on the uke. Some very accomplished uke players started that way. I know a few Hawaiians that have a hard time being comfortable with anything but true Hawaiian music being played on a uke.
I have been playing flute for 39 years. In the 70's Ian Anderson's flute playing in Jetro Tull was all the rage. To someone who was serious about the instrument, Ian's flutter tonguing style was just annoying. How many times I had friend say, "Hey play Aqualung". Comments like that and the popularity of the instrument did not make me put it down.
How others perceive an instrument is their deal, not mine.
I play the instrument because it pleases me, when it stops being fun, I'll put it down and move on. But I really doubt that will happen for me, and I hope Grumpy and Deach stay with it also.

:agree:Very well said and I would have to agree with you Sally.

paraclete
03-24-2010, 06:42 AM
Before too many people get pissed off at me, I need to clarify something... I meant pathetic and immature as in attitude, not an adjective of any person. Let me clarify with an example:

I've spent the last 13 years or so vacationing in and around La Push, WA. For those who don't know yet, that area is the setting for the Twilight series. It is a beautiful and rugged part of the Washington State coastline. But last time I was there, I saw signs all over Forks and the area for Bella burgers and "Edward didn't sleep here" and vampire whatever. Sickening? Very. Annoying? Totally. Enough to make me depressed and never go back... no way! It's a fad, a popular thing right now. Eventually it will fade and those who are not dedicated to the area as a remote vacation destination will find some other place to go.

I regularly take breaks from online forums, just to regain a perspective on things away from the virtual world. It's going to be warm today. I think I'm going to introduce my neighborhood to my fairly awful uke playing. :D

leftovermagic84
03-24-2010, 06:42 AM
This is sort of like if every guitar player quit because they're tired of hearing smoke on the water, free bird, and stairway to heaven. Honestly, just get over it, because it won't ever stop, and if it does, instead of being asked to play I'm Yours or Odd, it will just go back to tiptoe through the tulips. Who cares?

When most of us started out, we played cookie cutter songs, because that's all we were capable of. I have no real musical training, so I still play a lot of cookie cutter songs, because it's fun for me and it's the best i can do. Sorry I'm ruining the uke for you, but if you are all really so evolved that you've moved beyond simple covers, make them your own. Use you're amazing powers to take the suck right out of those songs, so that when someone won't quit yelling "freebird!" at your open mike, you can play something he wasn't expecting, and something that you still enjoy.

Or if it really bothers you that much, quit, and take up yodeling. That way you'll never have to worry about doing something popular.

cornfedgroove
03-24-2010, 06:46 AM
yeah, I think there's a level of immaturity (maybe insecurity is a better word) in there...although well written, and quite interesting

I dont get into things because they are "different" or because they are still a "subculture". I get into them because I like them, and that means when that subculture goes mainstream and drops the "sub", I'm still gonna like it lol. Trends come and go like the wind, in 20 years I'm guessing ukulele will have long passed as a fad, but I'll still enjoy it.

Some people gravitate to things because they are cool and unique among the crowd, but when the crowd embraces it...they run off complaining. Just like 1000 punk bands kids loved--until they became popular...uh, I STILL like Green Day, lol. You see that people find that they were more drawn to how the "different" gave them a definite place in self-concept...I think its a manifestation of some quiet, deep-seeded need to be an independent personality and receive due recognition/attention. It must be like middle-child syndrome. Learn to be content with yourself, and you wont need some unique niche' to define who you are. Those are my admittedly ignorant observations.

SweetWaterBlue
03-24-2010, 06:47 AM
I think getting tired of some things is pretty common, and therefore pretty normal. I know I used to be consumed by my interest in investing in the stock market. I visited several boards and spent far too much time and money on that hobby. I made a lot of new friends, but eventually it started to bore me. I got tired of seeing the same old questions asked and answered. Eventually, many of the old timers, including me, got bored and moved on. The same thing happened when I started metal working and welding. Then there was my building recumbent bicycle phase. As you become an old hand in most anything there is less to learn and less enjoyment in talking about and doing the same old things. Its kind of sad, but its life. I still ride my bikes. I still weld, and I still invest. I think I will probably still play the uke in 10 years, but I probably wont spend as much time on uke boards.

brickerenator
03-24-2010, 06:48 AM
It wasn't that long ago when I first heard the term "microfame". That one word put forums, Youtube, social networking into perspective for me. What am I doing on the internet that matters? Nothing really, just having fun I hope.

That's why I only have 1 ukulele vid on youtube, I realized it doesn't matter.

Or if it really bothers you that much, quit, and take up yodeling. That way you'll never have to worry about doing something popular.

Hahahahaha, I really did laugh out loud

SparkyUkulele
03-24-2010, 07:00 AM
I understand, I mean, it's nice to be different. Funnily enough, when there was a uke craze among my friends, 2 of them picking it up (well that's a relatively high number :P) I thought "No way am I jumping on THAT bandwagon" ... but as much as I highly value being quirky and unique (I sometimes wonder if the main reason I did a degree in Computer Science is because not many girls do that!) ... when I picked up the uke, the joy I got from holding it, playing it, learning new things on it ...actually was more important to me than being unique.

Part of the reason the uke has grown in popularity is because ukers themselves are NOT golfers. Uke players want to share the happiness. When a friend comes over I don't say "Listen to me play" I say "Have a go! You'll love it too!" ... it inspires enthusiasm :) I have *touch wood* not ONCE got a single negative comment on my vids, even my most rubbish vids, not once. Aldrine Guerrero is the archetypal uke player, imho. Completely NOT pretentious or arrogant in any way, just wanting to share tips and chords freely, encouraging everyone. If the world of the uke player weren't so encouraging and friendly and open, I wouldn't have had the confidence to upload any vids, because I'm quite shy about performing. But I always try to encourage others because I like seeing other people try their best whatever level they are at. I don't think it's self indulgence to want to be part of a community, even if you (like me) have no ambition to be the next James Hill or Jake Shimabukuro. Honestly, I can't see how the uke community could be less pretentious. I think because no matter how popular it is, you still get odd looks and have to explain to most people what a ukulele is, and that it's not a toy guitar etc.

So I understand wanting to be different- but there are other things in life. Ukulele Underground has the caption "Growing the next generation of uke players" ... and the next generation are growing. I'm sorry that some feel threatened by it, in some sense, or that it's taking something away from them. But I'm not sorry that other people besides an elite group are getting joy from a ukulele just as I am.

Personally, I feel honoured to be a member of a friendly, encouraging community and I hope it stays that way. Trends come and go, the ukulele remains the best instrument ever invented :)

ETA: The quote in my signature means: What's essential is invisible to the eyes. Worth remembering. :)

Sparky

ukecantdothat
03-24-2010, 07:11 AM
This is sort of like if every guitar player quit because they're tired of hearing smoke on the water, free bird, and stairway to heaven. Honestly, just get over it, because it won't ever stop, and if it does, instead of being asked to play I'm Yours or Odd, it will just go back to tiptoe through the tulips. Who cares?

When most of us started out, we played cookie cutter songs, because that's all we were capable of. I have no real musical training, so I still play a lot of cookie cutter songs, because it's fun for me and it's the best i can do. Sorry I'm ruining the uke for you, but if you are all really so evolved that you've moved beyond simple covers, make them your own. Use you're amazing powers to take the suck right out of those songs, so that when someone won't quit yelling "freebird!" at your open mike, you can play something he wasn't expecting, and something that you still enjoy.

This is hilarious, leftovermagic84! Back in the day we played Free Bird when it was a new song and people dug it because we could do those harmo lead lines and shake our hair around. Then it got old and became the drunk call "Free Bird" joke we're all used to now. It amazes me to hear it still to this day when I'm playing uke in my calypso / soca / reggae / pop / whatever band. When I hear it, I oblige the request, but I only play the beginning now because it's actually the best part of the song to me. The slide guitar parts are beautiful on a steel drum. That's the "something unexpected" you alluded to and I applaud you for your attitude. Nothing wrong with "I'm Yours" either, although I've yet to hear a uke in the original record or see it mentioned in the liner notes. Smoke On The Water? Sebi? Cover? Just sayin... Yodeling? Garth Brooks gets away it. Yodelingunderground? Again... Just sayin...

I've been wondering what's been up with deach's absence in the forum, lately. Talented songwriter, he. What an arc of progress over the last year that I've been watching him. He's written some fine songs for other ukers on YT, Little6ster among them. Superb, really. The man can do something silly and make me laugh, or bring me to tears with something moving. That kind of breadth from one extreme to the other is a rare gift. Doesn't require a uke and a forum, but his voice would be missed here if he is indeed soured to the whole thing. It comes in waves for me, usually when I'm off work for weeks at a time, you'll find me here more, but I don't get the "craze is bad" bit. Sometimes you just need a break to get your head together and woodshed with your axe, be it a uke or a flute or a didgeridoo!

leftovermagic84
03-24-2010, 07:25 AM
The slide guitar parts are beautiful on a steel drum. That's the "something unexpected"

exactly! I would absolutely love to hear that!

deach
03-24-2010, 07:30 AM
ukecantdothat - Thanks so much for all the kind words. I haven't been absent from the forums, I just can't bring myself to answer the same questions that have been asked over and over. I realize the search function sucks, but still....

...So I understand wanting to be different- but there are other things in life......
It's not that I want to be different, I just don't want to be like every unimaginative guy out there.

I think getting tired of some things is pretty common, and therefore pretty normal. I know I used to be consumed by my interest in investing in the stock market. I visited several boards and spent far too much time and money on that hobby. I made a lot of new friends, but eventually it started to bore me. I got tired of seeing the same old questions asked and answered. Eventually, many of the old timers, including me, got bored and moved on. The same thing happened when I started metal working and welding. Then there was my building recumbent bicycle phase. As you become an old hand in most anything there is less to learn and less enjoyment in talking about and doing the same old things. Its kind of sad, but its life. I still ride my bikes. I still weld, and I still invest. I think I will probably still play the uke in 10 years, but I probably wont spend as much time on uke boards.

I think this pretty much sums it up. I'm bored.

I'm not sure if the "immature" comment was meant for me but here's my stance on all of this.

Boredom - I picked up the uke just about 2 years ago. Now, I'm bored with it. Is that a crime? I don't have the same fire I once had for the uke. I owe a lot to it though. It's because of it, I have some great friends and experienced a lot of cool shit. I don't blame the uke for my boredom, that's just how I am.

Frustration - When I go out to play open mics or even paid shows, I get tired of the Julia Nunes, Tiny Tim and Iz references. No disrespect to any of them but it does get tiring. I am sure any rock band has had to hold back from smacking someone in the audience every time someone yells Freebird. Same deal. Yes, I have a temper and no tolerance for idiots, but that's just me.

That being said, my new custom Mya-Moe uke should be here any day now. Look for a quick review and a new song.

cornfedgroove
03-24-2010, 07:40 AM
I can understand that...

An original artist among a bunch of cookie-cutter, pop culture sheep. It would get old.

take a breather and inhale the love

paraclete
03-24-2010, 07:44 AM
I can certainly relate to the boredom aspect. Sometimes you just burn out for awhile.

I stopped playing music altogether for a few years, though there were other factors involved in that. There are other things in my life that have been interests at different times, but I've let them slide because of popularity factors... mainly flyfishing, salmon fishing, and crabbing. But that has to do with resource pressure, regulation changes due to popularity, shutdown due to regulation violations.

But Deach, you are very talented. I can see where doing the same thing over and over can get boring. There is a lot of frustration that accompanies public performance. I was a lot more sensitive and hotheaded about the stoopid stuff when I was younger. I guess I've learned to ignore and/or deflect it. And no, the immaturity comment wasn't directed at you personally. :)

ukecantdothat
03-24-2010, 07:47 AM
ukecantdothat - Thanks so much for all the kind words. I haven't been absent from the forums, I just can't bring myself to answer the same questions that have been asked over and over. I realize the search function sucks, but still....

It's not that I want to be different, I just don't want to be like every unimaginative guy out there.

I think this pretty much sums it up. I'm bored.

I'm not sure if the "immature" comment was meant for me but here's my stance on all of this.

Boredom - I picked up the uke just about 2 years ago. Now, I'm bored with it. Is that a crime? I don't have the same fire I once had for the uke. I owe a lot to it though. It's because of it, I have some great friends and experienced a lot of cool shit. I don't blame the uke for my boredom, that's just how I am.

Frustration - When I go out to play open mics or even paid shows, I get tired of the Julia Nunes, Tiny Tim and Iz references. No disrespect to any of them but it does get tiring. I am sure any rock band has had to hold back from smacking someone in the audience every time someone yells Freebird. Same deal. Yes, I have a temper and no tolerance for idiots, but that's just me.

That being said, my new custom Mya-Moe uke should be here any day now. Look for a quick review and a new song.
Hats off to ya, brudda! Nobody sets out to be "different." You either are or you're not. Nothing wrong with boredom either. It happens. Nothing wrong with intolerence for fools, for that matter. I loved the "C.S.I. - Can't Stand Idiots" t-shirt you sported in a vid once. I want! So keep doin' what you's doin' cuz that's what the vast wasteland needs. (Note to self: did you just use the word "sported?")

cornfedgroove
03-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Hats off to ya, brudda! Nobody sets out to be "different."

[/I]

there are countless people who do just exactly that!

granted, no longer talking about Deach anymore...general statement of people.

MoreUke
03-24-2010, 08:05 AM
We grow and we evolve.

SparkyUkulele
03-24-2010, 08:09 AM
I must say that I feel my comment is being misinterpreted, or mischaracterised. I think it's very, very true that one motivation for doing anything is because it's not what everyone else is doing. Doing something for the purpose of "not following the crowd" is exactly the same as doing it "to be different" in my estimation.

I had a feeling this might happen, actually. It goes without saying that everyone is unique. But at the same time... trends and fashions are part of everyday life and it's not uncommon for people to want to avoid jumping on bandwagons all the time. My post comes as a whole, not as a soundbite out of context. I don't mean that in a snarky way. Just being honest (as usual).

ETA: I agree with those who say it's totally normal to need a break from something from time to time. Perhaps it's important not to read more into it than simply "Been there, done that, but there are other things in the world to try and I'm ready to move on now." ... rather than blaming the new generation of uke players. As you can tell, this comment is not intended for Deach.

Sparky

SweetWaterBlue
03-24-2010, 08:10 AM

This all reminds of Ricky Nelson's song, "I Went to a Garden Party (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFugRFKqjFg)." He wrote after getting booed at Madison Square Garden for singing new stuff. I thought that was one of his best, since it wasn't a silly teen love song. Love those white pants and shoes.

The good thing is that many newbies relish the thought of answering the old questions. So, eventually they take the old timer's places. I don't think there will ever be another Deach though. The newbies in a few years will wonder what those old messages were talking about, and how the word entered the lexicon.

ukecantdothat
03-24-2010, 08:26 AM
there are countless people who do just exactly that!

granted, no longer talking about Deach anymore...general statement of people.

My point of course being that if you set out to be different, then you're not different, you're just another boob who thinks they are, which like you said there are countless. When I started playing uke a couple years ago, I avoided YT and forums because I just knew that there would so many people doing Beatles and Marley and Elvis Costello and all the stuff that felt "different" to me at the time that I just wanted to savor the moment, if you will. But then one day I went to YT and put in "Watching The Detectives Ukulele" and sure enough there were countless people covering it to various degrees of success, and my bubble was popped. So be it. It was nice being the only one (in my head anyway) for that time. But it was a conscious decision on my part, I had no illusions or delusions about it. Same with on line lessons. I wanted, at first, to discover things for myself and apply what I knew from my years as a guitarist to the happy little uke, and play a bunch of non-happy stuff on it, on my own terms. Then I went to YT for some strumming / picking tips because I was ready to expand things in a way that I knew I would be helpless with on my own. That's just the I am, like Deach is the way he is and Grumpy and Alan and everybody else is the way they are. Nothing narrow-minded about any of it. Whatever floats your boat, y'all. I give up on music like clockwork every few months, then like The Mob, something keeps pulling me back.

Nice discussion, BTW, Alan.

GrumpyCoyote
03-24-2010, 08:35 AM
A couple of quick notes.

1) I have not lost my passion for the uke, or for helping others find theirs. My post was about my particular brand of frustration which manifests from time to time and was strictly intended to spark discussion amongst those who had expressed similar feelings. This is fundamentally an exploration of the “fad backlash” I’ve posted about here in more diplomatic and less personal language. These are understandable developments when any hobby undergoes a sudden rise in popularity, and should not be misconstrued as some permanent “rejection” on my part. I said as much in the post itself.

To paraphrase the way someone above put it – “uke player’s aint golfers – we suck less”. I fundamentally agree or I wouldn’t be here.

2) While obviously publicly posted on UCB – I had, and continue to have no interest is directly addressing the subject here on UU. This is both out of respect for the UU team and mission, and an acknowledgement that my approach to the subject is somewhat controversial and potentially inflammatory. That post was a response to, and intended for readers and contributors of UCB. The potential for UU members (especially new ones) to misunderstand both the spirit and content of that type of post is simply too high. The reason we created UCB is exactly that, to keep this kind of blowback away from UU.

I’m an opinionated son-of-a-bitch. I make no apologies for that. But I do my best to respect the rules and mission of this house, by keeping my more heavy-handed jack-assery where it belongs – off of UU. I ask that readers and contributors of UCB do the same.

If you have issue or wish to discuss a UCB post – let’s do so there and keep UU out of it.

dparrothead1
03-24-2010, 08:38 AM
I don't understand, in any way, that if something I love to do becomes popular then it would diminish my interest in it.....

I picked up the uke because it has become hard for me to play my acoustic guitars. I know I will never be a professional, or go to open mike night or post a video on youtube. I joined this forum for information and to read what like minded people have to say.

I think Bob Dylan said it best......"And your right from your side as I'm right from mine"......

greg_usa
03-24-2010, 08:39 AM
waa waaa - people like the uke. i'm not special. everyone's a poser but me!

this reminds me of a joke I heard:
how many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb. Four. One to screw it in... Three to talk about how cool light bulbs were before everyone else starting liking them.

Anyway - it's too bad I don't have that problem of being compared to Jason Mraz. His music's a little vanilla for my taste but I bet he pulls some serious tail. WHAT! WHAT!

XOXOXO
Have a nice day :o)

ukecantdothat
03-24-2010, 08:45 AM
[FONT=Tahoma]...UCB is exactly that, to keep this kind of blowback away from UU.
Am I to understand that UCB is a sort of "Can we talk" forum, where frank and open discussions can take place? I kinda thought that's what UU was all about...

hoosierhiver
03-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Having started my own ukulele company, my life is now entirely saturated in ukulele. Everyday I set up ukes, talk uke to people in person, by email and on the phone. I also check out what is new and what people are talking about. It's ukulele everyday and I sometimes feel burnt out on the ukulele scene. Occasionally I get home and just don't feel like playing like I used to. The closer the ukulele gets to being accepted by the mainstream, the less special it can sometimes seem to be. However, it's still better than alot of what the world has to offer and when I need that great escape from lifes pressures, it's always there for me. I occasionally get in a ukulele rut, but sooner or later a video by one of my friends (or a stranger), or new song I want to learn will kick me out of the funk and I rediscover why I fell in love with the ukulele in the first place. Maybe it's like falling in love with a person, sometimes, after being with them for awhile, you can take them for granted until you need them.

bbycrts
03-24-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm not so worried about UCB...but SOMEONE needs to send Deach some bacon! I'm on a mission now! (Since he's watching his cholesterol...should I try sneaking in some soy or turkey bacon?) *shudder*

A guy at work is into charcuterie (cured meats and sausages). He's going to teach me to make my own bacon. I could send some to Deach if it ever works out....

dnewton2
03-24-2010, 09:02 AM
If you have issue or wish to discuss a UCB post – let’s do so there and keep UU out of it.

Funny thing about that is UCB brought it to the UU forum. I personally don't have an issue with posting the links, but if it is done, disscussion is sure to follow.

GrumpyCoyote
03-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Having started my own ukulele company, my life is now entirely saturated in ukulele. Everyday I set up ukes, talk uke to people in person, by email and on the phone. I also check out what is new and what people are talking about. It's ukulele everyday and I sometimes feel burnt out on the ukulele scene. Occasionally I get home and just don't feel like playing like I used to. The closer the ukulele gets to being accepted by the mainstream, the less special it can sometimes seem to be. However, it's still better than alot of what the world has to offer and when I need that great escape from lifes pressures, it's always there for me. I occasionally get in a ukulele rut, but sooner or later a video by one of my friends (or a stranger), or new song I want to learn will kick me out of the funk and I rediscover why I fell in love with the ukulele in the first place. Maybe it's like falling in love with a person, sometimes, after being with them for awhile, you can take them for granted until you need them.

That really sums it up quite well Mike - for a number of reasons, when anything takes up so much passion and focus, it can seem less fun from time to time. It happens, and should be expected.

ukecantdothat
03-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Boy, you said it, Mike. For a while there I was into grapes. Every day. Grapes grapes grapes... Now? Not so much. Someday I'll be back with the grapes, sooner than I think, I'll wager. It reminds me of an old Far Side cartoon: These gorillas are sitting around and one of 'em is peeling a banana and says, "I really like bananas. I know that's not profound or anything. Heck, we ALL do. But for me it goes much deeper than that."
:nana:

sukie
03-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Am I to understand that UCB is a sort of "Can we talk" forum, where frank and open discussions can take place? I kinda thought that's what UU was all about...

EDIT: Too close to a personal attack - seeso.

ukecantdothat
03-24-2010, 09:29 AM

Hence the name, I guess. Well, Lord knows I can bitch with the best of 'em, but I hesitate to get involved with yet another social network. My wife and kids already think I'm obsessed with UU! It's not like I'm always on it... Wait... No, Seriously, Grumps: What's the difference between this forum and that forum? In other words: What's in it for me? I respect your opinion and am a HUGE fan of your music.

GrumpyCoyote
03-24-2010, 09:32 AM

Not exactly - but often, sure. It's a group of friends who post what strikes our fancy. It's not affiliated with UU, nor should it be judged the same way. Much of what you read at UCB is personal and blunt. Inflamatory rants are not all you will find there, but it does happen.

UU on the other hand is about mutual respect and love of the uke. Do not confuse UU and UCB under any circumstances.

Based on that potential confusion I'm locking this thread for now. If the discussion topic is compelling... I suggest someone start another thread that is NOT related to the UCB or it's particular brand of shenanigans.

If you wish to adress the referenced posts directly, feel free to do so at UCB.