PDA

View Full Version : You might be an ukulele player if...

seeso
05-21-2008, 12:35 PM
If you've Googled the word "koa," you might be an ukulele player.

If your t-shirt size fluctuates between "tenor" and "concert," you might be an ukulele player.

If you know how to pronounce, "Israel Kamakawiwo'ole," you might be an ukulele player.

If you've ever gotten into an accident while practicing your triplet strum, you might be an ukulele player.

If you spend more time on UU then you do with your kids, you might be an ukulele player.

Add yours below! :D

russ_buss
05-21-2008, 12:55 PM
if you have musicguymic's ebay store bookmarked.

if you can peel a potato with your thumbnail.

if you hum "my dog has fleas" when you tune up.

NukeDOC
05-21-2008, 12:57 PM
you use a spare A string to floss your teeth

Poi Dog
05-21-2008, 12:59 PM
...some annoying person refers to your instrument as a little "geetar" and notices that two strings are "missing".

Ukulele Dude
05-21-2008, 01:20 PM
If your boss refers to your lunch hour as 'uke therapy'.

If you watch more music videos on Youtube than MTV.

russ_buss
05-21-2008, 01:22 PM
If you watch more music videos on Youtube than MTV.

MTV still plays music videos? i thought it was just a delivery system for crappy reality shows.:biglaugh:

h-drix
05-21-2008, 01:28 PM
if you hear a song and NEED to transpose it from guitar to uke.

Rubbertoe
05-21-2008, 01:51 PM
You live paycheque to paycheque (or more accurately paycheque-for-new-uke to paycheque-for-new-uke)

You need to build a new room in your house specifically for your ever-growing ukulele collection.

degracia
05-21-2008, 02:29 PM
If you've bookmarked www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum or the home site.

You've seen seeso's, Aldrine, or Dom's videos on YT.

salukulady
05-21-2008, 02:46 PM
if you have an extra uke just for your car.

Esy
05-21-2008, 02:55 PM
if you have nails only o one hand and practice strum on every thing what you see :nana:

KAWIKA27
05-21-2008, 03:56 PM
no one put the obvious lol

u might be a ukulele player if.....

you own one lol

your on uu more than three times a week

your always wating for the next lesson on uu

know the diffrent sizes......

lol grate thread

NotoriousMOK
05-21-2008, 03:56 PM
if you've given ukes to your friends so there would be one there when you visit

brokenwing
05-21-2008, 04:31 PM
... if you find it lying next to you when you wake up in the morning.

KoloheBoy
05-21-2008, 05:22 PM
when u memorized the sounds of almost every chord.
when ur entire background on myspace is the ukulele underground picture made by tribal theorie and your extended network banner is ukulele undergrounds sig picture used by people like fred miu:D

when u pick ur girlfriends G string nicely and softly just so it makes a nice clean sound. :D:nana:

Plainsong
05-21-2008, 05:34 PM
You get annoyed at the lack of ukuleles when search videos with the keyword G-string.

Yeah, it sound similar to the above, but it's a true story.

KAWIKA27
05-21-2008, 05:44 PM
if you have a name for your uke / ukes

if you keep a pile of ukulele tabs and chords near by

if you have Troicalstormhawaii.com in your favorites

if you know who Jake Shimabukuro is

if you know who Aldrine Guerrero is

if you looked up UU.........

thejumpingflea
05-21-2008, 05:52 PM
If you cry when you brake a nail.

... and you are a guy :D

berylbite
05-21-2008, 05:52 PM
If you've been George Formby for Halloween.

deach
05-22-2008, 12:51 AM
...when asked to play a guitar, you respond, "do you have a capo?"

dnewton2
05-22-2008, 01:18 AM
if you just got a new uke, and are planning which one you want to get next.

Well that might be you have UAS if...

SailQwest
05-22-2008, 04:29 AM
More than half your browser's bookmarks have ukulele in their name.

Your favorite uke store is on your speed dial.

You spend more on ukuleles and related items than you do on clothing.

SailQwest
05-22-2008, 04:47 AM
This one from Rich...

You play the ukulele to wake up in the morning.

Plainsong
05-22-2008, 05:09 AM
This one from Rich...

You play the ukulele to wake up in the morning.

Guilty! :uhoh:

UKISOCIETY
05-22-2008, 05:20 AM
You might be an ukulele player if...

...you don't have perfect pitch, yet you have G above middle C memorized.

.....your "TV Pal" isn't Tom Bergeron, Oprah or Diane Sawyer.

......you say "MGM" and you're not referring to the movie studio.

........steam comes out your ears when someone refers to the uke as "a toy".

..........you think the guitar has too many strings.

............you'd bid on that balalaika on Ebay if you were sure you could add a
fourth string.

..............you're perturbed after learning that Aaron Copland wrote a piece
called "Ukulele Serenade" and it was written for the violin.

JackT
05-22-2008, 06:30 AM
You might be a ukulele player if...

... jaaaaaaaa isn't just an elongated german word

... everytime you get that smirk you wanna jam your foot up someones ass.

Plainsong
05-22-2008, 06:37 AM
.. you keep refreshing your county's postal tracking site in hopes that that uke which shows up as having left the Big Island on the USPS site a couple days ago. You just keep refreshing in hopes it'll suddenly appear.

Jimmy
05-22-2008, 07:04 AM
...You heard the word miso (as in the soup) but heard "Seeso".

russ_buss
05-22-2008, 07:18 AM
...You heard the word miso (as in the soup) but heard "Seeso".

mmm, seeso soup with a side of edamame. *hannibal slurping noise*

http://www.pro-koeln.net/images/Lecter.jpg

hoosierhiver
05-22-2008, 07:24 AM
You leave messages on friends answering machines that consist of nothing but the new uke tune you are trying to figure out.

FrankNoCal
05-22-2008, 07:32 AM
You go to your kids open House (last night) where the school band is playing and get upset cause they don't have an ukulele in the band. Than you get upset cause you think if only you had remembered yours, you could have jammed along with them. And your daughter wishes she left you at home.

And your response everytime your wife asks for a suggestion for a gift for someone's b-day, anniversary, baby shower or graduation is: "Get 'em a uke!"

seeso
05-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Seeso soup, eh? I'd taste like cigarettes and whiskey.

You go to your kids open House (last night) where the school band is playing and get upset cause they don't have an ukulele in the band. Than you get upset cause you think if only you had remembered yours, you could have jammed along with them. And your daughter wishes she left you at home.

And your response everytime your wife asks for a suggestion for a gift for someone's b-day, anniversary, baby shower or graduation is: "Get 'em a uke!"

Ha ha!! Great stuff, Frank. :D

uber_goober
05-22-2008, 08:43 AM

This is so funny, as all I've been doing is buying sopranos for my friends as they turn 30. I guess I might be an ukulele player. :)

-John

tad
05-22-2008, 09:43 AM
This is so funny, as all I've been doing is buying sopranos for my friends as they turn 30. I guess I might be an ukulele player. :)

-John

What convinced me to finally buy one, after thinking about it for several years, was turning 29, and deciding that I wanted to learn to play at least one instrument before I turned thirty.

adellethegreat
05-22-2008, 09:56 AM
- If you hear the phrase "my little friend" & immediately picture your uke.

- If you laughed & nodded your head to every post on this thread.

SnakeOiler
05-22-2008, 11:10 AM
If your doorbell rings g-C, you are probably a Uke player.

If you always capitalize Uke, you are probably a Uke player.

Come to think, if you even know what g-C means, you are probably a Uke player.

Plainsong
05-22-2008, 12:39 PM
There aren't a lot of band arrangments out there that include ukulele. Gavorkna Fanfare: With ukulele!.... uhhhhh no.

Tulsa: A Symphonic Portrait in Oil - With Ukulele! ..... ummm no no no no no no no no.

I love the uke, but the instrument has to fit the music!

Edit - I want to add that I'm not trying to be harsh to Frank, it's just that I'm thinking of it from the kid's point-of-view. I wouldn't want to practice something and be really proud of it (even if I don't act like it), just to hear dad say it needs more uke. Thinking back to those days, I wouldn't have much to say to my dad after that.

Let them play their music, and you play yours. :)

14twelve
05-22-2008, 02:35 PM
.... when your partner talks about "the children" and you know they mean the tenor, the soprano, the concert and the flea :D

NotoriousMOK
05-22-2008, 03:55 PM
...if you've incapacitated the tv remote, garage door opener, digital camera and cordless phones in the house in search of a battery that will power your tuner.

...if you dump out your pockets at the end of the day and recover one or more spare strings, a felt pick, and tabs to the song you printed out at work.
(btw, you probably don't actually use the felt pick, but you keep it anyways)

...if you're supposed to be working, RIGHT NOW.

nikolo727
05-22-2008, 04:13 PM
You might be an ukulele player if your on www.ukuleleunderground.com when one of your contacts fell out and your to lazy and craving Uke to put it back it.

When you just stuffed your face with wings and then washed your hands and inspected them before you play to make sure that you dont get poop all over your Uke.

those are all me right now as i speak lol.(type not speaking i gues...):rock:

:nana:

o heres one more

When you sit for hours just smelling the inside of your ukulele because the smell of Koa is so delicious.

yum

thats me too. lol

:rock:

deach
05-22-2008, 04:16 PM
nikolo727 - you're a freak!!! and i mean that in a good way.

brokenwing
05-22-2008, 04:17 PM
you correct people who pronounce it "you-ka-lae-lee"

brokenwing
05-22-2008, 04:19 PM
you start threads entitled, "You might be a ukulele player if..."

brokenwing
05-22-2008, 04:20 PM
you reply to threads entitled, "You might be a ukulele player if..."

brokenwing
05-22-2008, 04:22 PM
you post multiple responses, when you could have done it with only one, on a ukulele forum to get your response count up.

SailQwest
05-22-2008, 05:43 PM
...you change the words in Margaritaville to "strummin' my 4-string, on my front porch swing"

heyjay820
05-22-2008, 10:19 PM
When people forget you can play other instruments, just pure ukulele hah

Kaneohe til the end
05-22-2008, 10:26 PM
when you find yourself on the wrong bus because you were practicing your strum for wonderful tonight the whole time (true story, ended up in waikele)

when you get home, your uke greets you at the door instead of your dog

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-22-2008, 11:24 PM
You sitting at home on a friday or Saturday night crying that your ukulele broke...

k not funny

nikolo727
05-23-2008, 09:29 AM
nikolo727 - you're a freak!!! and i mean that in a good way.

I know I love it!

I got me some serious UAS!

lol.

ukulele-antihero86
05-23-2008, 11:26 AM
You might be an ukulele player if...
...you wonder why they don't come out with an Ukulele Hero videogame even though you can play an actual ukulele.
...you write down/print out the tabs for songs even though you can play them by heart because you're worried that you might one day develop amnesia and forget how to play them.

Howlin Hobbit
05-23-2008, 03:57 PM
...you write down/print out the tabs for songs even though you can play them by heart because you're worried that you might one day develop amnesia and forget how to play them.

That ain't funny, youngster! :p

I actually have the hardest time with the tunes I write. I've lost some forever. Never again! I'm making hard copies of all that I do now.

But the worst part is, when I'm trying to remember a tune I used to do I'll often remember all of it except for one damn chord! :mad:

(What a drag it is getting old. -- R. Stones)

Lanark
05-24-2008, 07:25 AM
That ain't funny, youngster! :p

I actually have the hardest time with the tunes I write. I've lost some forever. Never again! I'm making hard copies of all that I do now.

Oh hell yeah.

I've got an ancient set list for an old band that I come across every once in a while that has a song on it called "Beethoven" and the only thing I remember about it is that it started with two loud chords (like Beethoven's 2nd(?) Symphony, hence the name) Everything else is gone. It still eats me up a little inside just seeing it there taunting my failing memory....

My former bandmates used to make fun of me for the big cheat book I keep for everything I'd write. But most of it's there (except the 5,000 chord changes to "Macalester" that hurts too... Should've written those out...damn it...)