Aluminum ukulele

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
I think it's kind of cool.... IF it sounded good, and IF it were $300 intead of $700, and IF it came in a nice case....

I'd be tempted. I can see getting it "tattooed" with all kinds of cool engravings, like on an old Dobro....

I can't say that Hilo strings inspire confidence in me when installed on an expensive uke. I do like that it's billed to be "the last uke you'll need" not the last uke you'll want... :D

I can't say that Hilo strings inspire confidence in me when installed on an expensive uke.

Ever heard of GString Ukulele Company?

Huh. That looks kind of awful. Not my cup of tea, I guess. I did like the all-aluminum uke that MGM showed off in a demo a while back. Mixing it with wood just doesn't seem right.

I liked the look of the one MGM had much better

wow the uke mgm had sounded incredible! im gonna see if i can make one of those in my dads shop haha

Ever heard of GString Ukulele Company?

Of course, and so what? That makes a difference how? it doesn't change my personal opinion or taste regarding the strings, put 'em on a a Martin 5K, I don't care, I'd swap 'em right out. Point being, putting on a cheap mediocre string to me shows an unwillingness to present an instrument at it's best. I've had them on three ukes, two sizes and all solids, vintage mahogany and high end koa, not impressed.

I guess. At least they're consistently unimpressive to you. :p They might be some of the cheapest strings available, but I think they intonate pretty well.

Waverly Street made one a while back there is a sound sample here.

We are contemplating doing a batch of new ones... They would look like this: http://www.wsukes.com/130/u130.html with the body of aluminum, everything else wood/normal. It would be a bit of an investment though, to get the metal parts laser cut, and I'm not convinced there is a sufficient market for them to justify it. There would be me and another guy involved, and we both gotta make money off the project. Price would need to be in the $800 range to make it work... Am I right to be skeptical?

We are contemplating doing a batch of new ones... They would look like this: http://www.wsukes.com/130/u130.html with the body of aluminum, everything else wood/normal. It would be a bit of an investment though, to get the metal parts laser cut, and I'm not convinced there is a sufficient market for them to justify it. There would be me and another guy involved, and we both gotta make money off the project. Price would need to be in the $800 range to make it work... Am I right to be skeptical?

Dave, like a lot of folks here, I find the idea of an aluminum uke intriguing....but not $800 worth. It would depend on weight, tone, volume; all the normal variables minus wood grain, but I would not invest that kind of money in one. Just my take on it....

Moderators....maybe you could merge this thread and the other "Alum-A-Uke" thread for the sake of convenience....

I think that would look pretty sweet with the f holes. As for the cost, it seems about right in line. I think the one MGM had was going for something like $1500 and the one on Ederly is $700. So $800 is not really out of line. I personally don't think I would buy one, but you never know. You might create something amazing and $800 would not seem so bad to me.

Top Bottom