Mya-Moe Classic Tenor

deach

Reaction score
Features

* What year was it made? Where was is made? (Hawaii, Japan, China etc...) - March 2010, Washington
* How many frets? - 19 (14 to the body)
* Solid-Top? Laminated top? - solid
* Any pickups or electronics? - Mi-Si with volume control
* Body and neck woods? ( Koa, Plywood, etc...) - Master Grade Koa back and sides, Mahogany neck
* Finish (Satin, transparent, quilted top, flamed top, etc...) - hand rubbed oil
* Body style (Soprano, Tenor, Concert, Cutaway, etc...) - Tenor
* Tuners (Locking? Non-locking? brand of tuners - Sperzel, Gotoh, Grover, Schaller, etc...) - sealed, amber buttons
* Any included accessories? (Case, gig bag, strap, cable, tools, humidifier, etc...) - Kala case, strap, polishing cloth, extra strings

Sound

* How does it suit your music style (and what is that style)? - It has a very clear sound and the uke rings and rings
* Rich/Full sound? Bright sound? - It has a well balanced sound. Excellent all around.
* Likes and dislikes? - I dislike that I didn't order two

Action, Fit & Finish

* How well was the ukulele set-up at the factory? (How was the action?) - Medium action, not too high or low. No buzzes or intonation problems.
* Properly bookmatched top? - Yes, back as well
* Properly routed bridge? - yes
* Did the ukulele contain any flaws? (misaligned bracing, poorly filed fretwire, finish flaws, poor quality wood, rusted or oxidized hardware, loose tuning pegs, poorly cut nut, poorly fit saddle, noisy pickup selector, loose controls, etc...) - none so far. I'll update the review if anything happens.

Reliability/Durability

* Will this ukulele withstand live playing? - Yes, it's well built and very light yet it does not seem fragile.
* Does the hardware seem like it will last? - yes, quality tuners
* Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? - it is a hand rubbed oil finish. As suggested by Mya-Moe, an occasional application of lemon oil will help keep the finish looking new.

Customer Support

* If you've dealt with the company, how helpful/friendly were they? - They always took time to answer my questions as well as provide other alternatives. Whenever I called, it was like talking to old friends.
* How long is the warranty - Two years but I have a feeling that if there was ever a problem after 2 years, they wouldn't hesitate to help.

Overall Rating

* How long have you been playing? - almost 2 years today
* What other gear do you own? - too much
* Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this ukulele? - if they had a buy-in-bulk program
* If it were stolen or lost, would you buy it again or get something else? - Yes!
* What do you love about it? - Sounds awesome, feels great in my hand, smells great too.
* What do you hate? - not having enough money for more of them
* What is your favorite feature? - Sounds incredible!
* Did you compare it to other ukuleles? Which ones? - each one of my ukes are different. It's not going to replace any of them but I can already tell it will be my favorite.
* Why did you choose this one? - Love the combination of cedar and Koa
* Anything you wish it had? - a sister
* Anything else you'd like to share? - I can't say enough great things about the uke or the company. The uke is beautiful, sounds awesome, feels great in my hands. It was delivered on time as promised.

Video review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtiXXnN79SI

uke in progress
http://twitpic.com/1a9k3m
http://twitpic.com/1a8ran
http://twitpic.com/18x5dl

Last edited:
Nice review! Thanks for making the video. I have alway wanted to know more about Mya-Moe ukuleles. They have a great website.

–Lori

I really enjoyed watching your video review and reading this. Such a beauty! I'm so glad you've gotten your dream uke! :)

CountryMouse

Wow - that looks and sounds great!

I've actually been thinking about getting a nice uke this year (probably a concert), and had already narrowed my choices down to Mya-Moe (tradition) and KoAloha. So, it's nice to see this.

Looks like your Mya-Moe and KoAloha are different sizes (unless you've got a KoAloha tenor too), but do you have any comments to compare the two brands?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason Paul - My Koaloha is a Super-Concert. The Mya-Moe is a tenor. I've played a tenor Koaloha and they're awesome, especially the thinline one, but I really couldn't compare the two. At that level, it really is a preference thing.

congrats on the new uke!! looks great

Hey Deach, congrats on that beautiful new uke!!! Mahalo for the you tube review!!

Congrats, Deach.

Lovely uke. :drool: Great review. :)

Man, that is one sweet uke.

Ii research these things like a crazy man and the two companies that really stand out to me are Mya-Moe and KoAloha.

Mya-Moe definitely has the wood combos and customers service is just incredible. I plan to visit them this summer and give there ukes a whirl.

Ya want to send me yours for a few weeks? I can you some really cool Japanese chips.

Basically just ditto to what everyone has said.

Also nice to put a voice to the many posts. :)

Thanks, Deach. Enjoy.

Hi, Deach,

A little while ago, you also reviewed your Nalu mahogany tenor. How would you compare the Nalu with the Mya-Moe? Do you like one better than the other and why?

Thanks.

Gillian

Top Bottom