Mandolin Strap on Uke?

Paul December

Reaction score
Anyone use a Mandolin Strap on a Tenor Ukulele?
They look to have limited adjustability and was wondering if it would make a Tenor Uke hang too high.

I got a leather Mando strap from Guitar Center for mine ($18, i think) and it works great. Several options for length with multiple holes plus you have the option of using the leather part that wraps around the neck OR use the supplied string to tie it on. That gives you plenty of range in length.

Got a ukulele half strap also. I'd definately recommend them, they are really good and very protective of the ukulele as in the materials are soft.

Paul, I used a mando strap on tenor and concert ukes and liked them a lot! I just used the longest setting and it put the uke in just the right place.

If you already have a strap button on your ukulele, I have used this strap successfully on tenor - soprano sizes.
http://www.amazon.com/Levys-Leather...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1269550765&sr=8-1
It adjusts without hardware, and isn't too bulky.
If you don't have a strap button or pickup jack, the Ukulele Half Strap is developing a leather version. It will be several weeks before it will be available, but I am working on it. Already testing a working prototype right now.

–Lori

If you already have a strap button on your ukulele, I have used this strap successfully on tenor - soprano sizes.
http://www.amazon.com/Levys-Leather...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1269550765&sr=8-1
If you don't have a strap button or pickup jack, the Ukulele Half Strap is developing a leather version. It will be several weeks before it will be available, but I am working on it. Already testing a working prototype right now.

–Lori

Lori.... I now have a uke with two strap buttons; my Kiwaya. It has a very thin body, and is hard for me to hold. I like the look of this strap in black. The one review online said the length adjustment tended to slip. Did you find that to be the case?

I've used the Long Hollow Softy mandolin strap on both of my tenor ukuleles. It is very comfortable leather and easily adjustable for length. I have the brown one but here is a photo of it in black:
Mandolin1200+.gif

I got it on eBay for under $20.

–Lori

Lori, I really like the looks of that one. Do you use yours with 2 strap buttons?
The uke I want to put it on only has one.

I've used the Long Hollow Softy mandolin strap on both of my tenor ukuleles. It is very comfortable leather and easily adjustable for length. I have the brown one but here is a photo of it in black:
Mandolin1200+.gif

I got it on eBay for under $20.

Great looking too ... how do you attach it on the head stock end?

Lori.... I now have a uke with two strap buttons; my Kiwaya. It has a very thin body, and is hard for me to hold. I like the look of this strap in black. The one review online said the length adjustment tended to slip. Did you find that to be the case?

It can slip a little, especially if you put a lot of weight on the uke. I don't have to adjust it while playing, but sometimes, every so often, I check the length and have to shorten it again. If the leather loops are tight against the connections, it is less likely to slip.

Lori, I really like the looks of that one. Do you use yours with 2 strap buttons?
The uke I want to put it on only has one.

On my tenor, I have 2 strap buttons, one at the bottom, and one on the heel. On my long neck soprano, I have one button on the bottom, and a Martin strap on the headstock. The Levy strap comes with a shoelace-like tie to use on the headstock if desired.

–Lori

I have a Kala archtop electric tenor uke where the strap button is the input for the cord. The diameter where the strap needs to fit is wider than an ordinary strap button. I had another regular strap button installed on the heel of the neck because I hate having the strap going to the headstock. A regular adjustable guitar strap works length-wise. The rear strap button makes it really difficult to stretch the leather over it but once it's on it's on good.

kalaJA1a.png

Top Bottom