YOUR Ukulele playlist...

Dralisk

Reaction score
Hey all, this has probably been done before, but i couldnt find anything recently....

Whats YOUR ukulele playlist?

What songs do you crack out when someone sees your ukulele and says "hey, what can you play?"??
When your sat around chilling with friends, what do you automaticlly start strumming because you know your friends will sing along?

Post some good ones =]

Im fairly new to the uke so i stick with boring old Weezer and SWOTR etc =(
Inspire me!=D

When we get going we play a wicked 'Blues Brothes' set.

I also like Beatles songs, everyone knows them.

I also like Beatles songs, everyone knows them.

"Something was the first song I learned to play. Been asked for "Hey Soul Sister" a lout lately. Mix in some Dent May
List might be something like this:

Something by The Beatles
Meet Me in the Garden by Dent May
26 Miles (Santa Catalina)
Love Song 2009 by Dent May
Catch the Wind by Donovan
Shambala by Three Dog Night <---Learned from this forum
You Belong With Me with Butch Walker cover style/lyrics (Typically save this one though for when I break out the mandolin, check on the cover Butch does if you haven't already)

That would be a good started point I suppose.

I tend to try to take on too many songs at one time. This is what I've worked on so far.

As the World Falls Down by David Bowie (because me and my friends love Labyrinth)
Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show
Walk the Line by Johnny Cash (my brother requested that one from me)
Late Night Double Feature from Rocky Horror Picture Show
Love Song 2009 by Dent May (it was the first song of his I heard, and I fell in love with his Coke-bottle glasses)
Aux Champs Elysees by Joe Dassin (I love the French language)
Sloop John B (fun to play when there are people around who can sing along)
Catch the Wind by Donovan
Mr. Tambourine Man by Bob Dylan
Santeria by Sublime (learned this from a live lesson with Aldrine. Played it on the quad at school the next day and got quite a few people to sing along. :) )
Crazy G (this is what I play when someone who doesn't know that I play uke asks me what I play. It seems to be the song that impresses people the most)

I will usually start out with either Margaritaville or Under The Boardwalk.

And then, in some sort of order:
Cheeseburger
City of New Orleans
One Toke Over the Line
Love Is My Religion
A Lot of Jimmy Buffett
and somewhere I will work in Tip Toe Thru the Tulips and always........Why Don't We Get Drunk!!!!

My play list depends on the folks and age group I am to play for. As an example, young children like Disney Classics, which I have several songs that they can relate to. "I wanna be like you", "Under the Sea"and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", "Tiki Room". As my age group increases I like to play songs from the Beatles, "Eight Days a Week", "Michelle", "Here comes the Sun" and "Let it Be". Older classics such as "Earth Angel", "Because" (Dave Clark Five) "Stand by Me", "Dock of a Bay" are all songs everybody can sing to. I also like to play "Wagon Wheel" and Down to Seeds and Stems again too".
My mellower songs would be "Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World", "Mona Lisa" (Nat King Cole), "In This Life", "White Sandy Beach", Pearly Shells", "Side by Side" and "Knocking on Heaven's Door".
It took a while to compile a playlist that I could feel comfortable playing. I also carry those little egg shaped percussion shakers with me so people, particularlly children can be part of the music. To me that's what it is all about, sharing the Aloha Spirit.

I tend to try to take on too many songs at one time. This is what I've worked on so far.
...Crazy G (this is what I play when someone who doesn't know that I play uke asks me what I play. It seems to be the song that impresses people the most)

I second that! It's actually a fairly easy song as far as chords go, just getting the speed increases down is the hard part!!! But it definately is a good song to play for people who are unfamiliar with what the uke is capable of!!

Other than that I am trying to work on a few:
henehene kou aka - thanks to Dominator's lesson on YouTube!
Waiting in Vain - Thanks to Aldrine's workshop here in San Diego!
Buttercup - Aldrine G.
Ukulele(gitara) - Aldrine's uke lesson version
Europa - Santana (Aldrine's uke lesson version)
And a few little improved Hawaiian Vamps...

Want to learn but just can't grasp yet:
Me & Shirley T. - Jake S.
One Note Samba
Schizophrenic Snowflakes - Aldrine G.

Iz - Somewhere over the rainbow, White Sandy Beach
Cherry Pink Apple Blossom White
Elvis - Can't Stop Falling in Love
Kui Lee - I will Remember you
Santana Europa, Oye Como Va

I am brand new to the uke, just a couple of months now, and these are the songs I usually run through:

Jammin (Bob Marley)
I'm Yours
Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue
Dream a Little Dream
Rainbow / Wonderful World
White Sandy Beach
Brown-Eyed Girl
Island in the Sun

A show play list would be different from "what I play for friends when they see I have a uke". Most people when they see you have a uke they either kid you or tell you they think it's cute so I like to show them it's a real instrument and can be taken seriously. At first they break out laughing when I start playing "Stairway To Heaven" but the laughing turns into smiles as I launch into "Blackbird", "Dream A Little Dream", "Whiter Shade Of Pale" and my version of "Sir Duke" etc. I usually use the tenor first. Then I pick up the soprano and play some of the same tunes and they are mystified...it's so tiny!

Last edited:
Since I'm still learning my fingers onto the flea, my list is short:

Ingrid Bergman (written by Woody Guthrie, perf. Billy Bragg & Wilco)
Minnie The Moocher (Cab Calloway)
Sentimental Lady (Fleetwood Mac/Bob Welch)
Downpresser Man (Peter Tosh)

--Dave E.

I started playing in 11/09, so I learned several Carols-plucking the melodies as I don't sing. I figured out how to play Irish tunes like "oh those britches full of stitches" and am working on a blues song at the moment. St Louis Blues. Also learning chords.

I'm Yours (mraz)
Sunday Morning (Maroon 5)
Hey Soul Sister (Train)
Love and Honesty
Ehu Girl (Kolohe Kai)
Cool Down (Kolohe Kai)
Is There A Place (Gyptian)
Surf
Naughty Girl (Fiji)
She Will Be Loved (Maroon 5)
Free Fallin (Mayer style)
Hey There Delilah (PWT)
1234 (PWT)
House At Pooh Corner (Ka`au Crater Boys)
Somewhere Over The Rainbow (Iz)
Summer Breeze (Seals & Crofts)
Sweet Darlin' (Fiji)
You And I Both (Mraz)
White Birds (manoa DNA)
Falling (Keahiwai)
Drop Baby Drop (The Mana’o Company)
Nothing On You (B.O.B.)
Don't Stop Believin' (lol on this one. Everyone at my school watches Glee)

Wow okay I know way to many songs haha
Btw some of these are more local songs, more popular in Hawaii....

playlist

To Make You Feel my Love-- Dylan from Adele
All I want-- Joni Mitchell
Summer Breeze-- Seals & Crofts
Sultans of Swing-- Dire Straits
Everybody's Talkin'-- Nillson
You Don't Know Me-- Cindy Walker
Singin' the Blues-- Bix Biederbeck (in Eb)
Just the Two of Us-- Bill Withers
and one I've been trying for over a year--
Jitterbug Waltz-- Fats Waller

nice suggestions guys, just to revive this thread a little:
Summer has offically hit the UK and im wracking my brain trying to think of some cool songs to play to my friends and bbqs and outdoor parties, im still quite not great at playing so nothing toooo difficult please! but i guess im abit sick of CGAmF =P

Here's my list -- all songs are suitable for beginners

Our Day Will Come -- Ruby and the Romantics
Right on the Money -- Alan Jackson (as tabbed by UU member Thumper)
Rubber Duckie -- Ernie (ditto)
Spooky / Light My Fire medley (ditto)
King of the Road
I Will -- the Beatles
Rome Wasn't Built in a Day -- Nick Lowe (as tabbled by UU's own Seeso)
Crazy Love -- Van Morrison
Five Foot Two
Take Your love With Me (the ukulele song) - Sophie Madeleine
I get ideas - Louis Armstrong (as done by Danielle ate the Sandwich)

Hmmm, so right that it depends on the situation. If someone is taking the piss out of me for my "little guitar" I'm quick to whip out Stairway or Sweet Child o' Mine. That shuts them right up. If someone thinks my uke is cool and asks me to play them something, I usually go with "Build Me Up Buttercup," it's one of the first songs I learned (the Jim Beloff 60s book version) and I've got it in my head pretty solid without having to reference the chords. If we're sitting around the chiminea and people are in a singing mood, I go with my sing-along book posted to the Tabs forum. There you've got some Eagles, Elvis, Rocky Horror, some Elton John, as Jimmy says, songs people know by heart. And if I'm home alone? I'm usually playing the next song I'm trying to learn. One thing I do NOT play, Tip-Toe Through the Tulips. Apologies if you dig it, but that is a deal breaker right there for me, baby.

Top Bottom