Does anyone treat their solid wood Ukes?

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was wondering if I overkill or does everybody do it. I have always oiled my wood on my guitars, and now Ukes. I was just oiling my new Ohana today, and was wondering if I was the only one that does this? I use Sesame oil. I just take a cotton cloth and put a little sesame seed oil on it and rub it in.. Keeps the wood healthy and wont dry out and crack. Done it for years, with my guitars, banjos, and now my Ukes.. Too much?

Does the sesame oil leave a greasy feel? Do you use guitar polish after?

I've never used a humidifier... I don't do it for the finish as much as some might think. I have always done it to keep the wood "alive" for the most part. Im sure it helps the finish too, but I have had a guitar crack on me many years ago, and just since oiled my wood... It might help laminates too from separating...

Quick answer: It could for a little while.

Long answer: It doesn't for me because I only use a couple drops in a terry cloth face towel. I rub it all over, then rub it in for a couple minutes. It leaves the wood very soft and velvety. If you use too much, or not rub it in, it can feel oily for a bit. But let the wood suck it up like it will naturally. I never use anything petroleum based on my wood, only natural oils, veggie, nuts, olive or something like that. A tree is vegetation, so why would you want to put something foreign to it on it? My favorite is sesame oil because it is very light, and the wood sucks it right up quickly. It actually also cleans the wood, and just leaves it soft and velvety, and even has a pleasant odor to it. And no, I don't put a polish on it afterwards. After the treatment, the wood looks very natural, and alive...

Does the sesame oil leave a greasy feel? Do you use guitar polish after?

All my 'ukuleles have some sort or another polymer finish so the only part I bother treating is the fretboard and on some 'ukuleles the bridge. I use Howard's Wax & Feed.
Allot of nut and seed oils can go rancid so be careful. Linseed (flax), Kukui, Sunflower, and Walnut oils are drying oils so they work well for this purpose.
Never did consider sesame oil the only type we have around here being toasted sesame oil which is dark and smoky flavored used for flavoring Chinese dishes.
feed-N-wax.jpg

After years of agonizing over instrument goo ... I've come to the conclusion that the best goo is no goo at all.

Unless your instrument is raw wood, maybe oiled, the wood is already protected - by the finish. Nitrocellulose, polyurethane, French polish ... all seal the grain and keep it safe from the nasty environment. Slathering oil on top of the finish just gives you - an oily finish. It does nothing to further enhance or protect the wood. If you're lucky it will do no harm. But if you have any finish flaws - scratches, binding gaps, etc. - oil will just seep into the wood itself and may do more harm than good.

If the finish is in good shape, for routine care a damp microfiber cloth after playing removes fingerprints and normal playing gunk, and a soft microfiber chamois buffs to a shine. For non-water soluble gunk, a dab of e.g. lemon oil usually works. For maximum gleam, an occasional coat of pure carnauba wax does protect the finish, but may eventually create wax build-up. So I usually just let the finish speak for itself.

As Ahnko Honu says, unfinished wood like fingerboards and bridges do need some care. I use lemon oil, and only rarely, when the wood starts looking dry.

BTW, most luthiers will tell you that they HATE silicone. It settles everywhere on the finish and wood and in any flaws, and basically never goes away. And it makes future finish repairs and wood repairs more difficult, because it has to be removed first. Unfortunately, a lot of uke/guitar "polishes" and goo (not to mention household wood care products) contain silicone, often without telling you. Even some well-known brand names. So it pays to be careful, and know what you're slathering.

Just my 2 cents, of course.

I use lemon oil on the fretboards. Dean Markley Love potion 9, and a humidifier.

Hey Mike, that definitely covers the "feed" part of Feed-N-Wax! How about the "wax" part? I'll bet you've got some Waxing Salons there in Hawaii. :)

I have a bottle of that Howard's, too. Good stuff, but I've never tried it on fingerboards.

We have found that gentle polishing with a cat's tail seems to bring out the shine in our ukuleles. Plus, it's all natural.

e19fa516.jpg

Ahhhhh....so that is why Jasmine is on your boat!!!!

If you don't have a cat tail, you can always use a ... wait for it ... Tiger Rag. <*RIM-SHOT*> ... <*GROAN*>

And for the decks, try this:

catmop.jpg

Er.... I don't put oil on instruments that are finished wood. You should treat unfinished wood surfaces... like a rosewood fretboard. Some people use bore oil or fret doctor... I'm using Lizard Spit brand fretboard conditioner at the moment.

Not sure it would be a good idea to put nut or seed oils on an instrument....

Top Bottom