Uke in fiction....Dog On It!

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm an avid reader; mostly fiction. I've just finished reading the debut novel by Spencer Quinn, Dog On It.

This is a story about the Little Detective Agency; Bernie Little and his intrepid dog, Chet. The interesting thing is that Chet is the story's narrator.

I was pleasantly surprised, late in the book, to find that the story's hero, Bernie, plays the ukulele! This only made an already likeable character even more so, but didn't play any important role in the plot of the story. Bernie's uke playing was mentioned several times in the last couple chapters of the book.

I highly recommend Dog On It to anyone who likes a good story punctuated with plenty of laughs. It would rank as a "must read" for serious dog lovers. As sad as it is to realize that the book is over, I'm looking forward to starting Quinn's next in what proves to be an on-going series; Thereby Hangs a Tail.

If you like to read, love dogs, enjoy laughing and are into ukuleles, read Dog On It!

WOW! That sounds very interesting. I am more a cat person, but love dogs too, I will check if I can get it from bookmooch.com or something...

I looked that up on Amazon and just had to add it to my wishlist. There's a book called Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (I haven't read it since I was in high school, but it was really great) and one of the main characters is an eccentric teenager who plays a ukulele during lunch at her school. Their school band also features a ukulele section.

I looked that up on Amazon and just had to add it to my wishlist. There's a book called Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (I haven't read it since I was in high school, but it was really great) and one of the main characters is an eccentric teenager who plays a ukulele during lunch at her school. Their school band also features a ukulele section.

Sounds interesting. I like spinelli. You ever read Loser?

Top Bottom