Broken ukulele

Carolina Uku

Reaction score
My uke broke! And I don't even know what happened!
I'm so sad right now. I bought a gig bag for it a couple days ago, the day before yesterday I played for several hours and then put it back to its place. Today I had some free time and when I got it out of the bag, the bridge was hanging from the strings! I think it detached from the body somehow, but one of the sides has a splinter still attached to the body. The luthier said that if there's a splinter, maybe I hit it against something, but I swear I didn't! My cat doesn't have access to where the uke is, and my boyfriend hasn't touch it.
I'm taking it to the luthier's tomorrow, he says he'll fix it.

I'm on the verge of tears and I just wanted to share =(

imgp0426r.th.jpg

See larger image

imgp0429k.th.jpg

See larger image

imgp0431.th.jpg

See larger image

imgp0434.th.jpg

See larger image

Just a bad bridge glueing job by the builder. A luthier can have you fixed up in no time for not a great deal of money

Jimmy

Thanks everybody, I'm feeling a little better today... The builder is the same person as the luthier who's fixing it, so he's doing it for no charge because it's been only a month since he finished it.
Yesterday I was heartbroken (or is it heart broken?), but with the bright new day, things are starting to look better.

I agree, looks like the glue did not hold which is absolutely no fault of yours. I'm glad the luthier backs up his handiwork. You'll be strumming and singing away in no time at all. Better it happened now than a year from now. Best wishes to you.

Thanks everybody for your support, I have my uke back, fixed! The luthier said that it was the string tension that caused the bridge to pop like that, so it appears that it was kinda my fault after all :S
So I'll try to be more careful, though I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong. He didn't charge for the repair anyway...

Any advice so it won't happen again?

Thanks everybody for your support, I have my uke back, fixed! The luthier said that it was the string tension that caused the bridge to pop like that, so it appears that it was kinda my fault after all :S
So I'll try to be more careful, though I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong. He didn't charge for the repair anyway...

How did you have it tuned? gCEA should not pull the bridge off or we would all be having this problem. I even have 2 sopranos tuned aDF#B which has not caused any problems. Glad it's fixed. Strum away!!!
Regards,
Ray

A few items, buy a tuner so you are tuned to pitch. Assuming you are using ukulele strings (and not steel) you should be ok with string tension.
DO NOT leave your uke in a hot place (car in the hot sun) the glue becomes soft. If you are comfortable temp wise the uke is ok. (you would not want to sit in the trunck of you car on a hot day).
Check the humidity where your instrument is stored, the glue may have dried out.

Good Luck, happy strummin'

Top Bottom