New website update + Tahoe Uke Fest write up

thejumpingflea

Reaction score
So I finally updated my website!

www.thejumpingflea.com

Now with a new blog as well. I have the write up of the Tahoe Uke Fest posted there.

(Copy and pasted here too!)

Well I finally sucked up and did it! I am now an ukulele blogger. I figured I’d start by sharing my experience at the Tahoe Uke Fest ’10.

Wow! What a weekend. I got to play on stage with some of my uke idols, give a workshop to lots of people, speak with Mike DaSilva, the folks at Mya Moe Ukes and so much more.

The weekend kicked off in a good way. I was in airport security and saw a uke case. Turns out that the uke case was none other then Michael Powers’ uke! If you haven’t seen him, check him out at www.urbanukulele.com He is the real deal and has a truly unique style. We jammed for over an hour in the airport terminal.

When I arrived I gave my workshop nearly immediately. In the middle of the workshop Aldrine Guerrero and Dominator walked in! You talk about nerve wrecking.... The workshop went well. I swear I learn so much more than I teach when I give these things. Everyone learns differently and trying to adapt your teaching to everyone is an immensely challenging and satisfying endeavor.

I jammed with Dominator and Aldrine for a bit. It was very cool. I don’t play with musicians as regularly as I’d like to so this experience was a great learning experience. I had dinner with Ukulele Tonya, Dominator and Mrs. Dominator. They are some of the nicest people you’ll ever meet. The uke does that to people I guess...

Later that night we saw James Hill and Michael Powers in concert. In the middle of the concert I learned that my grandma passed away. She was diagnosed with cancer 11 months ago and was finally at peace. It was tough news, but being around all these musicians and people that loved what I loved really helped. Rest in peace Grandma Emmie.

Saturday was BUSY. I attended Ukulele Bartt’s workshop, then James Hill’s and after this I performed with Dominator on stage. We played Rise and Shine (A Dominator original) and Gently Weeps. Both songs we have never played together on stage before! It went well and was some of the most fun I have ever had. Here is a video of Rise and Shine.

That night was the coolest. I got to perform on stage with James Hill, Aldrine Guerrero, Dominator, Ukulele Bartt, Michael Powers, Brittni Paiva and the guitarist/bassist Jon Gold. WOW! Talk about unreal. Here is a video of me playing in a little flamenco duel with Ukulele Bartt, Dominator and Jon Gold.

After the show there was an after party for the performers in Aldrine’s room. We got tons of room service and just had a good time until roughly 3 AM. Chilling with Aldrine, James Hill, Dominator, Brittni Paiva, holy crud. Let me pinch myself to be sure I didn’t dream it.

Over all it was a truly unique experience and I can’t wait until next years festival.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Awesome, simply awesome, Matt. I wish I could have been there to see you and the other uke titans performing on a stage. I'm sure I'll get the chance to see you perform live someday, when you're touring Europe as the main act. Coz that is going to happen!! :cool:

Matt, it was great to meet you. Good to see you onstage. That must have been a big thrill. Somehow, I missed the chance to go up there. Maybe next time. My classes went very well, too. Hope to see you there again. Jeffrey.

Sounds you had an amazing time! Good stuff for repping the UU!

Hi Matt,
My wife and I really enjoyed meeting you at the fest. And really enjoyed hearing you play! The flamenco duel was the best. It will be a long time before the Celebrity Showroom sees as much energy as that night. Thank you, and all the performers for stepping in at the last minute on Saturday, you all put on a great show.

Steve and Terry

Dueling Banj ... ukuleles!

Hey, Matt - next time we'll have to do the extended version of the Flamenco Duel! It was fun playing with you!

Hey, Matt. Congrats on the all the jamming experienced there. What a treat! I got to perform a couple songs with Aldrine and Barefoot Wahines not long ago. I spent most of the time staring in awe at his right hand! So sorry to hear about your grandmother, I know how tough it's been for you with everything going on. Hang in there and keep strummin'!

Thom

Top Bottom