Simple bluegrass strum for Aaron Keim's songbook?

Bad Sneakers

Reaction score
I'm new to ukulele and I've just picked up Aaron Keim's Two Chord Songbook to get started with. I've read an e-book about different strums and can do a few myself, but I don't have any that would be appropriate for bluegrass. Does anyone have any suggestions? The strum Aaron uses in his youtube video for Big Chief Buffalo Nickel seems just fine, but I can't really make out what he's doing to the strings.

Try searching clawhammer or claw hammer on UU or you tube. I don't do it correctly (if there is a "correctly" when it comes to ukulele playing), but I have fun.
Good luck.
Have fun.
Betty

The standard Bluegrass strum I find on web tutorials is: D DUD DU - with the beat: 1 2 & 3 4 &. Hope this helps.

I always think the "chatanooga" strum works for almost anything. Dudududu 1+2+3+4+. With a little swing and an accent on beats 2 and 4 it's hard to go wrong. If I remember right, big chief buffalo nickel is thumb- strum - thumb - strum. Where the thumb plays one note and then the finger plays the chord. I like it as thumb down thumb up down up, 1 2 3+4+

Another easy one is to pinch the two outside strings with thumb and first finger and then strum the chord: pinch strum pinch strum. 1234.

Thanks for all the replies guys. They've helped a bit.

Another easy one is to pinch the two outside strings with thumb and first finger and then strum the chord: pinch strum pinch strum. 1234.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot abut the string pinch move. I'll stick to that one while I train my hand to be able to do the thumb - strum - thumb thing.

Top Bottom