Progress report - first time builder

Janko

Reaction score
First off ...thanks to all for your tips and help that got me this far. Muchly appreciated.

What follows isn't much, but It's my baby and I'm pretty proud! so far

I built this neck from maple but the slots came out bad on the face. They didn’t line up. Maybe 3/32’s of an inch mismatched. That wouldn’t do because then the sides wouldn’t line up.
begin-009.jpg

The other side was good.
So I made some corrections to my jig and made some practice cuts on some scrap. The cuts were better so I built another neck but this time out of Oak. Much cheaper! (I learned that things work way better on scrap)
That turned out better but still crooked in the same spot but this time I tried to fix it. When I was done the cuts matched but were too wide. So I threw it in the box and thought I will pursue a bolt on neck. In my creative mind it seems easier. Besides. I discovered I didn’t like Oak. It was porous and splintered and chipped on the edges to easy.

So on with a building a Hot Pipe Bender. That went well.
begin-023.jpg

The only problem is that I think it cools to fast when using it. Maybe a smaller pipe would do better?

Next was to cut some Kerf from a 1×2 Spruce 8′ piece I had laying around. That was boring until I managed to get a jig that worked OK on my tiny cheapo band saw.
begin-018.jpg

AWESOME! I was so proud of those I felt like I had just conquered the world.

So now to bend them. Here goes nothing I thought! But to my surprise it went well also. I had envisioned horrible thing happening . What a nightmare that would have been. If I couldn’t even make Kerfing how the hell would I do anything else?
begin-021.jpg

So now I’m gathering stuff to make a hot box bender so I can bend the sides. It was too hard to do on the pipe. I think it wasn’t hot enough and I ended up over soaking and splintering one Walnut side. It was difficult to get the bends in the right places. One more thing! I didn't for some reason clue in about sanding the side pieces down from 1/4 inch to 1/8th inches at least even though I did the research. I think that had a lot to do with it.
I think I was freaked about the process and the cost of the WOOD! So I wrecked it. I know. Sounds wierd like Dr Phil stuff! I didn’t tell you at first because it still hurts but a mans got to do what a mans got to do. Order another piece. By the time I’m done I’m sure it will be the most expensive ukulele ever built. So far it's been a bitter sweet experience. My next big moment of joy will come with a good bending experience on the sides. I am very apprehensive now after my first failer.
Ok so, off to get more stuff. I’ll be back.

Hi Janko,
That was a fun read. Thanks for your honesty. I've got a box full of wonky necks, burnt sides and cracked bindings. Guess it comes with the territory. Looks like you're well on the way to a great 'uke. Looking forward to the rest of the story.
Steve

Lol nice post and good job so far . I haven't been trolling this section of UU until about 3 weeks ago when I decided that I wanted to build a stewmac tenor kit, but it's cool to see another first time builder here. And good for you doing everything from scratch, I want to eventually build to that point. I am planning on building a kit first, then next building a body and actually bending my own sides, etc. but using a bolt on neck probably, and then eventually building everything myself, no kit peices. I am not a trained woodworker so basically just learning as I go using some basic knowledge I already have, reading a lot, and watching videos like the ones Pete Howlett so generously posts on YouTube!

Keep up the good work, you're way ahead of me so it's an inspiration to make me want to get started very soon! I am still collecting tools and supplies that I will need for a kit build at the moment...

Keep us posted on your work also!

Great to hear about the early work. My wood won't be here from the Hibdon March Special until next week, and I don't know when I will actually be ready to start, since I haven't built any benders or jigs of any kind yet. I will follow yours with interest.

Last edited:
Don't worry about the slots being too wide..you can shim them from inside..or use little wedges.

Thanks Timbuck. That would have worked too if I hadn't got all rambunctious and cut the heel off the neck just for spite. I shall remember that the next time.

It was a good day though. I took my walnut sides (the one I wrecked) and straightened it enough on my hot pipe so that I could cut it into long strips. 3/8ths by 1/4 approx (because I didn't shave my side down like I should have). Then I soaked them really good and put them to the hotpipe again and got them nearly staight as can be. Then I clamped them tight between to boards and let them dry over a warm radiator over night. Then I let them cool. Awesome. I now have my bracing for my Uke bottom.
So my beginner advice is you may want a hot bending box or whatever but a hot pipe is still useful to have around to fix your other screw ups even though it is hard on the chins if ya forget it's there. Yes I did that.

two dogs plucking ...I like your dog pic. Is the top one a rat terrier by chance? Just curious.

Thank you for saying that. For many reasons, everyone needs to know how to bend on a heat pipe. I do most of my bending on a Fox bender but I also use the hot pipe all the time. It doesn't need to be elaborate either. Mine is simply a pipe in a bench vise with a propane torch. A heat blanket with appropriate bending form can do the job quicker but it can also break or burn your sides faster as well. Both methods require quite a bit of practice to do well.

Janko, I admire your courage for forgoing a kit and plunging right into a scratch build, but I wonder if you are not subjecting yourself to a lot of grief. Do you have a good set of plans to follow? If not, that is the best place to start. The plans will show the correct dimensions, the correct grain orientation and will probably recommend materials. If you followed them, you would not be trying to bend 1/4" thick sides. Lutherie is all about paying attention to details and there are a myriad of them. A set of plans at least put them in front of you. You are enjoying yourself and that is the most important thing, but I think my idea may speed the learning curve.

Brad

Top Bottom