PDA

View Full Version : Taking the heat. A uke for the car?

flea_bitten
03-27-2010, 10:58 PM
It gets hot down here and even hotter in the car. 45C isn't unusual out in the open so in a locked vehicle 50C (over 120F) would not be an exaggeration. I would love to have a uke that stays in the car for those odd moments I'm caught waiting but it bothers me to leave an instrument in those conditions so I don't do it. Does anyone have a uke coping with heat? Has it warped the wood/plastic?

Deets
03-28-2010, 12:00 AM
I'ma recommend my Ohana concert solid sprucetop CK-70RB for the composite round-back body. It's extreeeemely durable. Check it out: http://www.ohana-music.com/conc/ck70rb/master.html

molinee
03-28-2010, 12:01 AM
I can't imagine any glue holding up to that heat... at least not for very long. You could always buy a cheapo for $25 and find out....... :)

thomas
03-28-2010, 02:15 AM
I agree that it doesnt sound good for any instrument to be in that environment, especially not solid wood. I also agree that a "disposable" dolphin, or the like, may be a good choice for this purpose. Or any plastic instrument may fit the bill???

Take care,
Thomas

Thumper
03-28-2010, 02:52 AM
I live in Florida, and my Flea and Fluke have done a moderate amount of car time, with no apparent ill effects. You'll need a Philips screwdriver to adjust the tension on the friction tuners from time to time, because sometimes the change in temperature loosens them up.

SailQwest
03-28-2010, 04:32 AM
For durability and portability, my Risa soprano stick takes top honors. It's built like a tank and I use and abuse it. I usually just leave it laying around in the cockpit. I don't even keep it in the case. When I leave the boat, it goes along in my backpack.

The downsides to it are price (used they are about $175-200), and lack of volume (after all, it's not an acoustic instrument). I find the volume fine for practicing by myself, plus I have a $30 AmpUPlugNPlay that I keep in the case for when I want the volume of an acoustic.

I think that for other options a Flea or a Dolphin would be good to consider. I got a Flea a couple of years ago to have as my "backpack uke" while we were in Florida. It held up well getting carried around a lot and even spending a few afternoons in a hot car.

cornfedgroove
03-28-2010, 04:59 AM
I just take mine with me...business or pleasure. It's a unique, positive conversation piece and people understand when you explain it to them why you cant leave it in the car.

by the way, it helps if you have a cool case...looks fancy!

Gaby
03-29-2010, 02:24 AM
I would say that the solidbody ukes are indeed probably the best option. What else comes to mind? probably a resonator. Though I have to say I live in similar conditions and have left my ukes in the car on numerous occasions and so far had no problems (I certainly don't practice what I preach). Though I wouldn't recommend anyone trying this - I'm probably a bit lucky. These ukes were always in polystyrene cases, maybe they keep the heat out.

So yes, if I had to recommend one tough one, it'd have to be an Eleuke. Plug in your earphones and go!

William L
03-29-2010, 05:05 AM
I wouldn't recommend leaving "any" instrument in a hot car. I left my Fluke in a warm car under a shade tree and the plastic fretboard came unglued. On the upside it gave me an excuse to upgrade to a rosewood fretbaord.