Sign the petition to save Ukulele Mikes (musicteacher2009) channel and right to teach

UkuleleJarr

Reaction score
!http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/saveukulelemike

youtube has deleted his account and videos, as they breach terms of use

but we all know Mike posts videos to Educate, and this is supposedly allowed.

this petition will hopefully help to show the outrage that we collectively feel towards this injustice.

personally, i owe mike my whole knowledg of the Uke, and without him i probably would have given up.

his easy to understand lessons of popular songs were great.

he also posted original content, so he want just covers

i notic that julia nunes does covers and original content, but she hasnt been blocked

why

she earns them all money,

its not her fault, im just giving her as an example of thisd injustice

who next?

seeso maybe?

it could be anyone.

sign now and fight for you right to ukulele

The link does'nt work

I've signed I learnt my first ever song from mike

Look, this is a great cause and everything, but I can't sign a petition that has no chance of being taken seriously because of spelling and punctuation errors. Might I respectfully suggest that the OP proof read the petition, spell check it, and re-submit?

Look, this is a great cause and everything, but I can't sign a petition that has no chance of being taken seriously because of spelling and punctuation errors. Might I respectfully suggest that the OP proof read the petition, spell check it, and re-submit?
I have to agree.

But you know what? Sony had Beyonce's videos taken down from her YT account so I really can't see how this will do anything.

I hate to say this, because I love Mike and all the others who so freely teach us, but I fear its a big waste of time sending such a petition to YouTube. Unfortunately, the copyright laws place the burden of proof on the alleged violator. The Fair Use doctrines do allow you to use part of a piece for teaching purposes, but probably not a whole song. It matters little that some are allowed to get away with it, and some are not, or how much we like them.

The only way anything is going to get done is if they change the law, or a court case with some big pockets behind it gets filed and the courts set out a more clear description of what constitutes Fair Use in places such as YouTube. So, if you want to send a petition, send it to the US Congress. With their great record of listening to the people lately, it should get solved immediately - right!

Last edited:
How is it that people like Julia and Seeso are allowed to break such rules? Are they doing something differently? I believe almost everyone on this forum would be in breech of said rules. Am I missing something?

How is it that people like Julia and Seeso are allowed to break such rules? Are they doing something differently? I believe almost everyone on this forum would be in breech of said rules. Am I missing something?
Seeso is not able to break the rules. He was issued a warning, took down all his covers and posted them on a new account just for covers.

What Mellisa said. Its pretty much just hit or miss who gets hit and who doesn't. There are so many of us posting covers that they don't have enough people or software to keep up exactly. Make sure you keep copies of all your covers, if you want to make sure you will be able to see them again.

It would be fun to know how much money WGM is wasting on electronic and human trolls who search for these "violations." I used to think putting some blurb about how it was educational and a few chords would offer some protection, but obviously it doesn't help. My only shield now is that I a suck so bad that they probably won't find me lol. I also think putting the word "cover" in your description is like waving a red flag. I think it is probably better to just say its an original, if it is. Of course they probably have software to search for the titles they own.

Last edited:
I signed the petition. Even if it doesn't save the channel it's worth doing it just so Mike can see that people cared enough to try.

This is horrible! First Ukulele-tabs, now this. It seems like everyone (Youtube and music companies) is trying to take out people who love to cover the music that has made these companies popular. I find it unfair and unjust, but there isn't anything to do about this,since money and greed is always involved.

Last edited:
I hate to say this, because I love Mike and all the others who so freely teach us, but I fear its a big waste of time sending such a petition to YouTube.
Yeah, online petitions are basically a total waste of time. youtube isn't going to do diddly just because a petition "demands" that they reinstate an account.

"we should not be oppressed in this way" - Give me a break. How does youtube pulling a video for copyright violation "oppress" you as an internet user?

"his videos and instructional pose NO THREAT to any record label." At the risk of sounding like a broken record here, the record labels have absolutely nothing to do with takedown notices on cover songs. Now, Beyonce's label is within its rights to request takedown on the specific sound recordings that they own, but not on any cover tunes.

I also agree with those who said the petition was poorly written. If you have any hope of being taken seriously, then grammar, capitalization and punctuation are essential to your cause.

I also agree with those who said the petition was poorly written. If you have any hope of being taken seriously, then grammar, capitalization and punctuation are essential to your cause.

I have to agree with this as well. I signed anyway because the OP's heart is in the right place and because I agee with the person who said that signing at least shows Mike that he has support from the UU community.

I have to agree with this as well. I signed anyway because the OP's heart is in the right place and because I agee with the person who said that signing at least shows Mike that he has support from the UU community.
Good post. Good attitude.

I agree that a few errors have crept into the text of the petition. If it is possible to edit it then it might be worth doing so.

Perhaps the petition will achieve nothing. It certainly stands a better chance of being noticed if all the people who claim it is futile take a couple of moments to sign regardless. It takes no longer to sign than it does to post here putting the petition down and picking fault.

It may not make a difference but I doubt it will do any harm, and it is a show of support for Mike.

Thanks to the OP for caring, and to those of you who have signed in support of one of our fellow UU members.

For interested parties, his Mediafire account is still up, so those tabs and chords are still floating around.

If you really want to show Mike your support, you can buy one of his DVDs when they come out. I understand he is working on one or more of them. I am sure he or someone else will announce it here when he makes it available. If it happens to only have lessons you have already learned on it, you can always Deach it to another. Wouldn't it be wonderful to read that his first edition was a smashing success?

I do agree that the OP's heart is in the right place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom