Do spare strings go bad?

puna52

Reaction score
Lame question, but I couldn't find an answer on the boards. Basically found a couple packs of ukulele and guitar strings that I bought YEARS ago. Should I chuck'em in the trash or are they still usable? :confused:

string em up and give them a strum..

The nylon strings for sure should be OK if they were never used before. The guitar strings, if they are still wrapped up and packaged would likely be OK too unless they were stored where the humidity is high. If they don't look rusty use them!

I hope they don't go bad. I've got a whole stash of Ernie Ball Coated Titaniums for electric guitar, and Elixrs for Acoustic, and a healthy stash of Worth strings for ukulele too. I keep them in a ZipLoc bag, and I really hope they will last until I have to use them.

The Ziploc bag is a good idea to keep them air tight especially if you buy bulk like I do. I have several guitars, banjos, ukes, bass etc. and buy strings in bulk to save money. It's hard to know when you buy them how long they have sat on the rack at the store before you even buy "new?" strings. After they are made they are shipped to a wholesaler who may have them in stock as long as a year before he ships them to a retailer. Then they sit on the rack until someone buys them. This goes for stringed instruments too. How long have the strings been on the instrument since manufacture to retailer to the customer. Every time I buy a new instrument I ask for a new set of strings to be put on before I take it home. I don't have to ask at Long & McQuade any more. When I buy a new guitar they take it to the tech and have a new set of strings installed and set it up right away.

Top Bottom