Anybody ever seen....

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Anybody ever seen, or heard of an "Amadillo" Ukulele? they are actually made from an Armadillo? Kinda creepy, but, at the same time, kinda cool..

Sure. You're thinking of a charango, or a ukulele designed like a charango. Standard Andean instrument. They both go back to Iberian (Spanish, Portuguese) instruments, using local materials. Nowadays charango backs are more likely to be wood. Better ecology, durability, sound ...

Yep.. thats the one... I would like to have one, just because..

Here's the "Charango" made from an actual armadillo. But there is supposed to be a Uke that was designed just like it.. I would like to find at least a picture of one..

26078_113310458684753_100000173975723_270015_4032658_n.jpg

I guess we're no longer used to animal parts as basic building blocks of instruments. Horn horns, bone whistles and flutes, hoof rattles, ivory keys, animal shell lyres and bladder bagpipes ... Things like bone nuts and saddles, gut strings, and abalone inlays are vestiges on our instruments.

I had a friend who kept an armadillo charango on his bookshelf, that I'd play with sometimes. I'll admit that the creep-out factor was definitely there. :eek:

Yeah, it's kinda creepy, but cool too. I am part Cherokee, and my wife is also allot Cherokee, and we have allot of dead animal stuff anyway, hahah.. I mean, turtle rattles, deer skin drums, things like that, so why not an armadillo ukulele? hahhah.. Kind of efficiant really. Eat animal for supper, and what ya have left, play an after dinner diddy with, hahhah...

Top Bottom