what song inspired you to start playing the ukulele? (and did you learn it?)

ghostrdr

Reaction score
I suppose, I am not unique in that I really wanted to learn

"Somewhere over the Rainbow" by Bruddah Iz :cool:

I did learn that and a version of White Sandy Beach, though not the finger picking version.

The reason I ask, is (1) curiosity; and (2) I'm looking for new songs to learn.

Not the one that made me start playing, but the one that REALLY made me start playing. Sir Duke. I saw Herb Ohta Jr. play this at my first Kahumoku camp on the stairs in the Pahala Plantation House. At the time I wasn't privy to his awesomeness and it blew my mind (it still blows my mind). That was the "I'm in" moment. Yes I did learn it (I tabbed it out too! http://liveukulele.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/Sir-Duke.pdf).

I had an ukulele before I heard a song that made me really want to play it.

I remember I saw Jake Shimabukuro's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" video I was floored. I had no idea that the uke was capable of what it was and that video (and then seeing him live) really inspired me to play the instrument. Once I started I fell in love with it and never looked back.

I learned "Weeps" about a year ago. It is a very fun song to play and I still think it is a mesmerizing song.

I had an ukulele before I heard a song that made me really want to play it.

I remember I saw Jake Shimabukuro's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" video I was floored. I had no idea that the uke was capable of what it was and that video (and then seeing him live) really inspired me to play the instrument. Once I started I fell in love with it and never looked back.

I learned "Weeps" about a year ago. It is a very fun song to play and I still think it is a mesmerizing song.

+1 on wanting to learn "While my Guitar Gently Weeps". It wasn't the song that motivated me to buy a ukulele, but I definitely want to learn it at some point. How long did it take you?

I just saw the Herb Ohta Jr. video - I don't know if I'll ever be able to do that...

If I was to pick one song, it'd have to be Joe Brown's rendition of "I'll see you in my dreams" at the Concert for George.

Paul McCartney gets WAY too much credit for playing the uke in that concert by the way - he strummed a couple of chords for 'Something' and quickly switched to a guitar.

Im sorry, but i gotta say 'Gently Weeps' along with the thousands of others here.

I saw Gerald Ross being interviewed by Bosco and Honey on Youtube and he played "The Peanut Vender". If anyone knows of a ukulele arrangement for it please let me know.

Jude

It wasn't just one song that inspired me to start, it was more like many dreams of sitting in a hammock in Fiji playing attracting hordes of women. (cause really why else do we start anything :) )

But the songs that really got me looking at it as a serious instrument were a lesson for "Breakdown" by Alderine that I saw on youtube and a few videos from BaronK (Mainly "Hey Hey" and "Malted Milk" and I did learn Breakdown but have since forgotten it and am a ways away from learning proper blues Uke but am working on it!

If I was to pick one song, it'd have to be Joe Brown's rendition of "I'll see you in my dreams" at the Concert for George.

Paul McCartney gets WAY too much credit for playing the uke in that concert by the way - he strummed a couple of chords for 'Something' and quickly switched to a guitar.

Paul made it look so easy that's why I thought that I could have a go, I never thought that I could play like Joe.

4 Ukes later I'm still trying..

I was introduced to Bruddah IZ not long before his death. He is the one that made me fall in love with the Ukulele. I am also a "Man Of Gravity" as he was. I am 6'5" tall, @ near 600 lbs, and for some reason, the Ukulele in a big man's hands just felt and seemed right. I loved it since. Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World was the nail in the coffin.

Bruddah Iz/Julia Nunes/Jake. Probably Bruddah Iz above all though.

Also, I found out that my dad used to play ukulele (a bit) when he was little. Woo!

Iz. Rainbow.

What's odd, and slightly depressing, is that I was thinking about songs to arrange this morning, and thought, "Sir Duke. I bet nobody's done that." Doh.

I was introduced to Bruddah IZ not long before his death. He is the one that made me fall in love with the Ukulele.[\QUOTE]

Definetly Brudda Iz! Henehene Kou Aka, and White Sandy Beach. Still working on the fingering for White Sandy Beach.

'Elephant Gun' by Beirut

It was 'Gulag Orkestar' by Beirut that first made me realise the possibilities of a ukulele in the style of music that I loved and gave me proper UAS.

Tracks like 'Postcards from Italy' now drive experienced uke players insane, but live the combined layered sound is fantastic and it peels back again and again to reveal basically two uke refrains, one in the first part and on in the second part of the tune.

The 'Elephant Gun' EP and 'The Flying Club Cup' just made me want to play even more, and mess with capos and the F chord endlessly.

Like a lot of people, I dismissed the ukulele as a "serious " instrument for a long time because I didn't know the versatility of the "little love of my life". Please hold the rotten tomatoes until I finish! Then I heard Jake and Taimane...and I thought well, that's great for them! heard IZ and thought maybe...heard Adelle the Great, and bought my first uke!

=`)

The song that made mw want to play was wise man my slightly stoopid. Yes i did learn how to play it it was my first song

Oh yeah.. I forgot the answer the 2nd part of the question. "Did you learn it".

Answer: yep. Got pretty darn good with it too.. Also did several variations of it..

Top Bottom