Nice article on the Uke's new popularity

UKISOCIETY

Reaction score
"Ukulele rides new wave" By Heather Svokos is short and covers most everything we already know, but she kept from saying anything cutesy or condescending like I've read in other recent articles. My favorite quote, which I had never thought of before:

The uke's mystique comes from its sound, for sure, but there's also the size and shape, says Bill Robertson, who made a little documentary in 2003 called “Rock That Uke.” He thinks some of the instrument's charm is linked with the physical act of holding it.

“It's about the size of a human infant,” he says. “And when you hold it to play, you hold it up close and you're cradling it to your heart ... to be corny about it. It is this small thing that you're protecting, and also giving you a sense of protective purpose in the world.”

I never thought about that, but it rings true to me.

"Ukulele rides new wave" By Heather Svokos is short and covers most everything we already know, but she kept from saying anything cutesy or condescending like I've read in other recent articles. My favorite quote, which I had never thought of before:

The uke's mystique comes from its sound, for sure, but there's also the size and shape, says Bill Robertson, who made a little documentary in 2003 called “Rock That Uke.” He thinks some of the instrument's charm is linked with the physical act of holding it.

“It's about the size of a human infant,” he says. “And when you hold it to play, you hold it up close and you're cradling it to your heart ... to be corny about it. It is this small thing that you're protecting, and also giving you a sense of protective purpose in the world.”

I never thought about that, but it rings true to me.

I have never thought about playing the uke as being protective but when I first show the kids how to hold the uke, I make that infant analagy. Can't wait to get home to read the complete article.

I'm pretty uncomfortable holding babies. Next time I'll try just thinking of it as a ukulele!

JJ

Just don't strum any kids...

Actually, I do strum my kids and they love to be strummed, well tickled actually. Pretending to play my kids like a ukulele generally results in squeals of delight.

Left hand at the neck, playing chords. Right hand across the tummy. Works every time.

"...As for learning to play, uke fanatics say it's a piece of cake. 'I can teach anyone to play the ukulele in about 15 minutes,' says Mark Levine, president of the Dallas Ukulele Headquarters."

Ah, if it was only that easy. I must be doing something wrong.

Nice article.

My favorite quote from the article: "At Coppell (Texas) High School, about 15 students show up weekly for meetings of sophomore Miles Pitman's ukulele club. Says member Madison Ford: 'If the smiley face played an instrument, it would be the ukulele.' ”

Thanks for posting about the article.

My favorite quote from the article: ......Says member Madison Ford: 'If the smiley face played an instrument, it would be the ukulele.' ”

This is a great line! Mahalo for puting up the link for the artical!

I'm pretty uncomfortable holding babies. Next time I'll try just thinking of it as a ukulele!

JJ

LOL! I liiiike it! Errrm, what chord do you use to burp 'em?:confused:

Very true. Size matters. I hadn't thought of the baby thing, but I had an Art Teacher (capital "A", capital "T") in college once who, after seeing some miniature ceramics I was working on said, "Be careful. Small = cute," meaning that people may misinterpret what I'm doing as "precious" and "insignificant" because of its size. The upside, she told me, was that small brings people in closer, is more intimate. She was absolutely right. Even though the works were very contemporary, many viewers in a gallery where they were displayed would say, "How cute!" and walk away, but many had to bend in for a close look. Many times since taking up the uke I have thought about the "small = cute" idea. The ignorati are dismissive, the rest come in close!

Cootchie cootchie, coo!

Last edited:
Top Bottom