PDA

View Full Version : Wound string on a plastic fretboard

wxtornado
03-29-2010, 04:21 AM
So I got my concert Flea (surf design) 'ukulele the other day, and wow, what a nice uke - I love this thing. I opted for the polycarbonate fretboard because I've just heard too many good things about it. I took the Hilo strings off however, because I just wasn't satisfied with the feel or the sound. Changing the strings on this uke makes a world of difference.

I had a pack of Aquilas, but only put 3 of them on, because the Aquila C-string is wound. Is it safe to put a wound string on a uke with a polycarbonate fretboard?

Thumper
03-29-2010, 04:44 AM
I don't like how Hilos sound on Fleas, either. Aquila makes concert strings with no wound strings. I think they would be a much safer bet. Worth Clears are great too. But it's my understanding that you should avoid wound strings on the polycarbonate fretboard.

psesinkclee
03-29-2010, 04:46 AM
The wound string will eat into the frets over time. Stick with nylon or fluorocarbon sets instead ;)

SweetWaterBlue
03-29-2010, 04:48 AM
I agree that you should not use wound strings on the polycarbonate fretboard. The wound string (G) Aquila I have on my tenor is made by winding metal around a core of the nylagut material. Metal vibrating on plastic will wear the plastic out in short order. As Thumper says, they do make non wound string sets. I have a non-wound high G set of Aquillas on my Flea. The ability to use wound strings is one of the reasons that some people get the rosewood fretboard with metal frets. I believe countrymouse (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?15219-CountryMouse) uses a low G on her polycarbonate Fluke, but I don't know which brand. You might ask her.

wxtornado
03-29-2010, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the good info, friends - I think I will hit the MGM store and get me some non-wound Aquilas, Worths, and now some Kala-Reds thanks to another thread!

Ahnko Honu
03-29-2010, 07:21 AM
I have nylon wound Kala reds on my FLUKE (high G) and they sound great.

portlandjosh
03-29-2010, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna get some reds for my tenor Fluke. They'll prolly look pretty cool against the mango colored soundboard.

luvdat
03-30-2010, 12:55 PM
I don't like how Hilos sound on Fleas, either. Aquila makes concert strings with no wound strings. I think they would be a much safer bet. Worth Clears are great too. But it's my understanding that you should avoid wound strings on the polycarbonate fretboard.

And that would be correct...

CountryMouse
03-30-2010, 03:53 PM
I agree that you should not use wound strings on the polycarbonate fretboard. The wound string (G) Aquila I have on my tenor is made by winding metal around a core of the nylagut material. Metal vibrating on plastic will wear the plastic out in short order. As Thumper says, they do make non wound string sets. I have a non-wound high G set of Aquillas on my Flea. The ability to use wound strings is one of the reasons that some people get the rosewood fretboard with metal frets. I believe countrymouse (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?15219-CountryMouse) uses a low G on her polycarbonate Fluke, but I don't know which brand. You might ask her.

I use the Hilo nylon strings that came on my concert Fluke; and I have Kala Red strings on my concert Flea--the wound strings in the Kala Reds are safe because they are wound nylon, not metal.

I have a set of Low G Aquilas on my CBU soprano. And I have a set of Worth Brown mediums Low G on my Eleuke soprano. No wound string in the Worth Browns. :)

CountryMouse