D.D.U. : ducttape double-ukulele!

grubblybubbly

Reaction score
i am no luthier, so when i get creative and build something, it looks like this; two cheap mahalo's attached carelessly with ducttape (oh, so magical)and with a unreliable strap made of, well, string. it was fun though. i tuned the lower uke four frets higher, to give more frets to play with. total of a sixteen fret soprano, pretty much. as you can see, they are in pretty terrible condition, and are scratched with me and my friends names on my older, terrible sounding ukulele that has a giant hole in it, covered with more ducttape (abra-cadabra!).

... hooray!

Attachments

• DSC01471..jpg
    DSC01471..jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC01473..jpg
    DSC01473..jpg
    89 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC01472..jpg
    DSC01472..jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 69
love your work

have you considered using gorilla grip instad of tape and/or adding another uke for the triple?

Ok.. Nice polished work.. Now I want to see a video of you playing it.. hehheh

Expert craftsmanship. I approve. I find that the tighter the tape, the less vibrations between the two ukes. I might have gone with Gorilla tape over the more common duct variety, but that's an aesthetic choice. The strap is ok, but I prefer it at the heel of the top neck - but then you'd have to tape a button there and that can be problematic if you're using duct tape. Oh, sure, it may hold for a while, but after jumping about for a while, you could risk slippage and ultimately damage the rig. Again, Gorilla tape - can't say enough about the grip - just remember it WILL remove the "finish" if you should decide to go solo again. The more I look at it, the more I love the strap. The powder blue does compliment the faux mahogany well, I must say. I wouldn't change it.

Feel proud on a job done.

Editor's note: I now see someone above beat me to the Gorilla tape suggestion. Great minds think alike!

Last edited:
love your work

have you considered using gorilla grip instad of tape and/or adding another uke for the triple?

i just used what i had lying aroundme at that moment. i think if i had another cheap uke, it would be fun to make a triple neck, especially if one was an 8 string!

Ok.. Nice polished work.. Now I want to see a video of you playing it.. hehheh

maybe sometime soon...

Expert craftsmanship. I approve. I find that the tighter the tape, the less vibrations between the two ukes. I might have gone with Gorilla tape over the more common duct variety, but that's an aesthetic choice. The strap is ok, but I prefer it at the heel of the top neck - but then you'd have to tape a button there and that can be problematic if you're using duct tape. Oh, sure, it may hold for a while, but after jumping about for a while, you could risk slippage and ultimately damage the rig. Again, Gorilla tape - can't say enough about the grip - just remember it WILL remove the "finish" if you should decide to go solo again. The more I look at it, the more I love the strap. The powder blue does compliment the faux mahogany well, I must say. I wouldn't change it.

Feel proud on a job done.

yeah. years of training into this one;). at this point, i don't care much about my mahalo's, but they're fun to bring everywhere (no exageration... ok, just a tiny bit) i go.

Last edited:
i
...at this point, i don't care much about my mahalo's, but they're fun to bring everywhere (no exageration... ok, just a tiny bit) i go.
Now, I know you mean that. I know on acounta nobody cares about their Mahalos. Even if they say they do? They don't. "Mahalo," as you may not know, has multiple meanings. The common translation is "Thank you," but it can also mean, "Go ahead. I can take it!" and "Cheap date," among others. There are other words that translate into these user-friendly phrases. "Leolani" is one. That's my favorite "beater" uke. My Leolani "Dolphin Print" uke is one of my BUF's. I take her everywhere I wouldn't want to be seen with my "good" ukes. Its intonation fairly blows, but it plays pretty darn good for 30 bucks.

Disclaimer: ukecantdothat makes no serious claim that Mahalo owners don't care about their Mahalos, even if they don't...

Last edited:
I want to see video. How's the sound? :)

Someone finally found something to do with Mahalos......

i am no luthier, so when i get creative and build something, it looks like this; two cheap mahalo's attached carelessly with ducttape (oh, so magical)and with a unreliable strap made of, well, string. it was fun though. i tuned the lower uke four frets higher, to give more frets to play with. total of a sixteen fret soprano, pretty much. as you can see, they are in pretty terrible condition, and are scratched with me and my friends names on my older, terrible sounding ukulele that has a giant hole in it, covered with more ducttape (abra-cadabra!).

... hooray!

I assume you used duct tape because you couldn't find the vise grips.

I want to see video. How's the sound? :)

having trouble with camera, but i will try to get a video out soon...

just to say it, this wasn't a big project, or anything. i had my two ukes lying around and my friend suggested that it would be fun to attache them, and ducttape was the most conveniant thing around. but it was fun, and that's why i did it!

Managed to dig this photo out of the archive, a similar idea, but 3/4 guitar/ukulele. No thats not 'club foot' its a strange shaker and tamberine attached to the foot for that full one man band experience!
IMGP6012..jpg

Now you need to tape two cases together so you can be sure to prevent any damage to your precious new instrument!

You should send this to those people that make those duct tape creation books.

Those books are awesome!

Now if only you made a ukulele out of duct tape...THAT would be a feat!

Top Bottom