Building a Uku

jmerchant

Reaction score
If you could build your dream uku, a wonderful sounding perfect personal uku, how would that dream look? Size, shape, wood(s)? I'd like to hear about it. I found a guy to build me a uku and I'm in the process of finding my own dream list, but I would love to steal ideas from some of you! All I know at this point is, it will be a tenor, and I'm leaning towards Koa for the body. Can't wait to hear from you guys, thanks.

I don't like fleas...

ok...

solid mango soprano harp ukulele, slotted headstock, geared tuners...gloss finish,and abalone inlay of a tree on the headstock, and around the soundhole. i guess i better save up.

I forgot all about mango! I have seen some really neat mango ukus. As far as sound goes, what does mango compair to? I'v never played a mango and I can't get a real feel from listening on youtube b/c some of those guys could my rosemary plant sing.

Tenor. All solid koa body. Ebony fingerboard and bridge. Rosewood binding. Slotted headstock, gold tuners with pearl knobs . Mother-of-pearl birds on the fretboard. Bone nut and saddle. Mother-of-pearl rosette. Mmmm.

Last edited:
I suggest talking with the luthier and seeing what woods he is experienced and comfortable working with. Suggest what you would like as far as sound quality and looks to them. Their advice should be held much closer to heart than that from the peanut gallery.

Take care,
Thomas

Last edited:
I don't like fleas...

I agree! And I think insects have been pretty well covered already, besides I wouldn't have any idea how to build one :) But my uke would probably be a cedar top with mango or koa back & sides, with slotted headstock, definetly tenor....or maybe concert....hmmm, I'll have to think about it a bit more. Ohana makes a solid cedar top with willow b & s that I really liked and I may just have to get one of those.

I like a traditional shape, and if I ever have an instrument built for me, I will choose a local luthier (yes, I have someone in mind) and we'll work together to choose the materials for the best combination of sound, playability, and beauty. My dream custom uses wood that is local to me - myrtle, claro walnut, maple...

I'd like a mahogany tenor in dark lightly flamed mahogany with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard and bridge. The neck would be bound with ebony. It would have a radiused fingerboard, bone nut and compensated bone saddle. My one concession to bling would be a thin lapis and ivory ring as a rosette together with lapis and ivory side fingerboard dots.

Last edited:
Top Bottom