Electric Uke for a noob

Giglshit

Reaction score
I am attempting to make an electric ukulele, but I have run into a few problems, I don't really know what kind of a pick up to use whether a bass pickup or a under saddle pick up. Along with the pickup problem I was wondering if anyone could help me with what type of bridge to use. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

I am making a solid body and shooting for a sound similar to the Eleuke. The strings are open, just depends on the pickup.

Hi Giglshit,

I have spent the last few weeks building various iterations of a solid-body, steel string, single pickup uke and I'm loving the project.

Whether you decide to go for an amplified acoustic (under saddle/piezo pickup) or a full blown electric, you're going to enjoy the journey.

Not to downplay UU but there is a great deal of info at http://www.cigarboxnation.com, definitely worth a look. That site is dedicated to unconventional stringed instruments of all sorts. (Fretless three string electric guitar made from an aluminium pole, anyone?)

For myself, my own build is decidely ghetto but looking through the picture gallery on the above site gave me lots of ideas for this decidedly unconventional instrument.

If you're interested in what I've done with my own build, I have detailed some of my own build here

Happy to share what I've learned. One thing I will say though is decide what scale you're building, If you don't know what I mean by that, then you're at the same place I was about three weeks ago. ;)

Good luck.

E.E.

I would highly recommend reading Melvyn Hiscocks book "Make your own electric guitar." In effect, you are building a small electric guitar and his book covers instrument design, construction, setup and basic electronics. He also describes several different approaches to the same task. It has lots of detailed photos too. Its the best tool I ever bought for my shop.

you're definitely better off going here http://handmademusic.ning.com/ rather than cbnation.
cbnation used to be premier, but is now more into sales and mainstreaming rather than instruction. Go to http://handmademusic.ning.com/ scroll down a bit and ask you question in live chat...old timers there save you all kinds of trouble trying to sort through annoying forums. BTW these are the exact same people that made cbnation premier, they are great guys and great builders...hordes of experience and ingenuity.

trust me...I'm not wrong about this.

Wow, Thank you all so much all of this is helping out a lot.

Thank you all so much, but I still cant figure out what kind of pick up to use, I have put a piezo transducer into an acoustic uke before but I don't know if that would be good for a solid uke. Any ideas?

Thank you all so much, but I still cant figure out what kind of pick up to use, I have put a piezo transducer into an acoustic uke before but I don't know if that would be good for a solid uke. Any ideas?

Any electric guitar pickup should do the trick. As long as your planning on steel strings.

If you're looking for an eleuke style, looking at he pictures they don't seem to have any obvious pickup, so go for the piezo and use whatever you like for strings. The Shadow style of undersaddle piezos might be your best bet (comparitively pricey though).

E.E.

ELeukes have a Peizo under the main part you see in a small compartment just for clarification.

So a piezo transducer would work just fine? If not what kind Of piezo pickup is it

You might also look at the Ghost system by GraphTech. You can use it in conjunction with a hardtail or tune o matic bridge.

Ok, i cut out the body and it's all sanded, but I dont have the tools to make a neck, is there anywhere the sells necks with a fretboard?

Top Bottom