the mgm great string comparison sample test

Thanks Mike. Very interesting. Which ones did you like the best listening in-person?
–Lori

ho das choke twist action, editing would've been better but this was more than enough. mahalos

its like asking me if i like apples or oranges better....don;t depend on me depend on your ears lol

Thanks so much for doing that Mike. It really is a great resource to be able to hear the differences in each type of strings. It probably will save some people from being like me (with a huge box filled with tons of packs of strings).

After a quick listen, the only thing I am sure of is I don't like the Hilos. Too muffled for my taste.

Mahalo nui loa Mike, that was very helpfull. I definetly need to listen to them on better speakers than these in my work laptop though!

To my ears I was surprised I liked the Fremont Blacks, and the Aquilas the best in this comparison.

Thanks for all the time and effort to do this Mike. Very helpful. For my ears, I like the Freemont Black and the Worth CTs on that ukulele. I'll have to try some Freemonts. Several of my ukes are strung with Worth CTs and the rest have Aquilas. I especially like the Aquilas on my Fluke and Flea.
Regards,
Ray

Great videos, Mike! Really good comparison all done on the same ukulele.
Agree with didgeridoo2 that the Hilos sound a bit muffled. All of the others sounded pretty good.
Will listen again to pick some favorites. Thanks!

Thanks, Mike.

The Makala Dolphin Group respectfully requests a run through with all those sample string options...just joking...

Them Mahanas weren't bad either...

wow, thats a fantastic resource thanks Mike.

I made the mistake of opening them all in seperate tabs to suddenly have 8 Mikes shouting at me at once!.... as much as we love you Mike, 8 of you at the same time is just too many ;)

It's fun watching your hands turn into a blur during the more rapid strumming.

I didn't know there were different Ko'oalu strings beyond the golds. The Mahanas had a sweet harp-like quality that I liked. I thought the Freemont Blacks had a very forward sound that could even be a bit banjo-y. I might have to string up my Mahalo camp uke with a set of those.
The Hilos wind up sounding imprecise. I absolutely get why folks are finding them a little muddy sounding.

Wow! That took some work. Now people will expect you to do the same comparo with a mahogany soprano, a koa soprano, some concerts, and to use all the different Worth types CL's, CM's, Browns, etc.

I can't wait ;-)

Seriously though, thank you for taking the time to do this comparo!

Mahalo MGM, great comparrison on the strings. Per my ears, I liked the Freemonts and the Aquilas the best. I might give the Freemonts a shot on the next string change.

Top Bottom