Willow wood........ How does it compare?

molinee

Reaction score
Anyone play a Tenor with Willow sides and back? Just curious as to how it compares to rosewood or mahogany sides.... Is willow more or less dense?
-TIA

I've played the Ohana tenor with willow b & s and solid cedar top here in our local shop, and it was love at first strum. I'm saving my lunch money to get it! I haven't played a rosewood uke but my guitar is rosewood it it seems very similar. I'm pretty sure the willow on the Ohana is a laminate and seems more dense than my mahogany uke. I hope this helps.

I've played the Ohana tenor with willow b & s and solid cedar top here in our local shop, and it was love at first strum. I'm saving my lunch money to get it! I haven't played a rosewood uke but my guitar is rosewood it it seems very similar. I'm pretty sure the willow on the Ohana is a laminate and seems more dense than my mahogany uke. I hope this helps.

You're absolutely right. Our willow ukes use a very high grade laminate for the back and sides. It actually costs more than solid mahogany to make. The cedar top gives an immediate, punchy yet mellow response. But the willow definitely gives it a tone all of its own.

Adelle the Great has one of these Ohanas and she tells me it's very nice...you would have to ask her though! I just thought the willow looked almost flamed in appearance...I do like the sound of this instrument!

Adelle the Great has one of these Ohanas and she tells me it's very nice...you would have to ask her though! I just thought the willow looked almost flamed in appearance...I do like the sound of this instrument!

We call it "figured willow" in the blurb. It is a very pretty wood and all the ukes are different.

You're absolutely right. Our willow ukes use a very high grade laminate for the back and sides. It actually costs more than solid mahogany to make. The cedar top gives an immediate, punchy yet mellow response. But the willow definitely gives it a tone all of its own.

Since the willow is a laminate would it really have that much effect on the tone of the ukulele? Wouldn't the wood under the willow have more to do with this?

Since the willow is a laminate would it really have that much effect on the tone of the ukulele? Wouldn't the wood under the willow have more to do with this?

I would have thought that too. But the fact is that everyone that test drives the willow uke is impressed with the tone. It it is very different to the flamed mahogany laminate instrument that we also do. The two instruments are very similar to look at.

I've got the Makai brand version of the Ohana in soprano size. It's a wonderful sounding uke. Ken's description is accurate.

Top Bottom