Help on how to record video from webcam?

rmcnelly

Reaction score
I tried several times in the past 2 days to make a short video of the KTS-5, but have no idea what I'm doing or what settings to use.

I'm using a Gateway laptop which has good specs (2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, Nvidia GeForce 9800M-GTS with 1GB GDDR3, and 7200 RPM hard drive). I initially tried using the Gateway webcam software but the audio chopped in and out. So now I'm trying some freeware called Debut Video Capture but have the same problem. My CPU indicators show me the system isn't being loaded down on any setting I've attempted.

I've tried the following formats: avi, mpg, mp4, mov, wmv at different video and audio rates, tried everything again from a freshly booted computer and tried with any background programs disabled but have only made 2 videos that the audio didn't chop in and out. Trying different microphone levels or microphone boost levels didn't help either.

I believe the built in mic may be the problem.

But what settings and file formats should I be using to make YouTube videos?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You didn't mention anything about the camera or the mic. I'd look there first. YouTube can digest just about anything you throw at it as long as it's within the size restrictions. They downconvert everything they do to .flv anyway, so a lot of your resolution (and especially audio sync) gets trashed in the process. I'm currently using a Creative Labs HD USB webcam hooked to my desktop with worse specs than yours and it does quite well.

I think you found your problem. Those little things are microscopic and the mics are even smaller. I can't imagine them doing more than a barely adequate job. Try an external camera and mic (borrow one from a friend temporarily if you don't have one) and see if your problem goes away.

I think you found your problem. Those little things are microscopic and the mics are even smaller. I can't imagine them doing more than a barely adequate job. Try an external camera and mic (borrow one from a friend temporarily if you don't have one) and see if your problem goes away.

Thanks, I'll see if I can borrow something.

Top Bottom